Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on Android when phone is "silent mode"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Whenever I'm at work I turn off all sounds / vibrations, etc for my phone and put it in Do Not Disturb.  Will text / call notifications work when this is on?  The main reason i want to get the Versa is so I'm alerted when I have this option on. 

I actually bought the Amazfit Bip because it does have this option, but would prefer to get a Versa if it also notifies when Android is set to Do No Disturb,

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

You will receive call, text and app notifications when the phone is on silent or vibrate. However when you turn on do not disturb you will not get any notifications on your Versa.

I guess a compromise would be to set your phone on silent instead of do not disturb. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Just to make sure were on same page, when I select Do No Disturb on my phone, i then select total silence so no audio from phone, texts, music.. etc.  You're saying to put ring on vibrate and I would still get notifications on Versa?  That wouldn't stop texts and other audio on the phone if my phone was set to vibrate on ring.  It's to bad that Do Not Disturb / Silent won't allow the Versa to still notify you.  I guess I'll be sticking with the Bip.  

Best Answer

Actually, scrap that. I've just done a bit of testing and it seems the notifications will only come through with the phone set to vibrate. I tried setting it to silent only and wasn't getting any notifications. I will do some further tests later when I get home and update you on my findings. A bit disappointing if this is in fact the case. I understand the logic with do not disturb, but not silent only. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

I can confirm that no notifications are sent to my Ionic when my phone is set to silent. The minimum setting I get notifications on is vibrate. Bare in mind I tested this on Ionic, but seeing as Versa use the same OS we can assume it will behave in the same way.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Thanks for taking the time and the effort, much appreciated.

I'm surprised you can't get notifications even when on silent.  I was going to buy the Versa but after leaving out such an important feature, I'll stick with the Bip.  Who knows maybe in Versa version 2.0 they will fix the issue, and I'll buy it then.

Best Answer

I had pre-ordered the Versa but canceled when I found out about this. I'll stick with my Pebble for now. I have tried many alternatives and they all allowed notifications to the watch on DND. 

Best Answer

I also was a pebble watch user and agree without getting notifications when phone is on DND for versa, no desire to buy it.  I don't know what you use watch for, but literally all I care about are notifications and sleep monitoring and Bip does both well and it only cost 79 bucks.  It has no real bells and whistles, but I'm fine with that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also was a pebble watch user and agree without getting notifications when phone is on DND for versa, no desire to buy it.  I don't know what you use watch for, but literally all I care about are notifications and sleep monitoring and the Bip watch does both well and it only cost 79 bucks.  It has no real bells and whistles, but I'm fine with that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually just got the Bip but thinking about returning it. The timer just was frustrating compared to the app I use on the Pebble and the notifications go away way to fast and it's not configurable. The battery life is fantastic though! I was hoping to switch to something more fitness oriented so had hopes for the versa. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here.. i like the Bip for what it does but was hoping Versa could take its place. 

Have you tried the Notify & Fitness for Amazfit app?  It lets you configure a lot and its like 3 bucks if you don't want to pay for ads.  You should give it a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mc.amazfit1

Best Answer
0 Votes

Currently fitbit intercepts the phones notifications from the apps sending them .With the phone in DND moxemthe apps do not send their notifications and therefore there is nothing for Fitbit to intercept .

The vibration intensity may be turned down or a quiet ring tone could be set. 

Best Answer

Not to go back and forth on this, since the fact that it won't send notifications when on DND on means I won't purchase the Versa, how are other products able to do this?  It's not some limitation that can't be gotten around.  I'm hoping this will be fixed in later versions at which time I probably would purchase the Versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree with rspinell, at a minimum the Pebble and Amazfit Bip can do this. Pretty sure the Gear S2 and Android wear as well, but its been a while since I tried those formats. I use an app called Tasker to turn DND on as long as my watch is connected, and automatically turn off if it disconnects.

Best Answer

I used a Garmin Vivoactive before the Ionic and I got notifications no matter what alarm setting my phone was in. So it should be somehow possible?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rspinell I don't know about the other companies, I'm just saying what I know of how Fitbit works. 

One way would be to have Fitbit directly read the incoming text as if it was an independent messaging app. 

Best Answer

Makes sense, thanks for the input.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have versa . It was working on silence but for some reason i have to put my phone on vibrations to receive notification ? Dont know why    

Best Answer
0 Votes

I receive notifications just fine on silent without the phone going off.. lol.. Android here - Huawei P10. Only time I don't get notifs is on DND because the phone itself doesn't get any notifications..

Best Answer

The issue I have with Versa is when my phone is set for DND you don't get notifications on the watch.  I have had Pebble and now BIP and they both support getting notifications on the watch even if the phone is set to DND.  I'm hoping in some new firmware version Versa will support this and then I'll buy the Versa, until then I'll stick with the BIP.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes