Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Versa in family account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Trying to set up the Fitbit Versa for my daughter and I can't figure it out added her on family but, then switching to kid view just spins green alert and does nothing. How to fix this?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jsnmk. Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about our products. Currently the Fitbit family account allows you control who your kids connect with in the Fitbit app when setting up an Ace or Ace 2, which were designed for children under 13 years old. I understand your concern about not having parent control to your daughter's account and while she'll only receive messages from those who she's accepted as friends in the Fitbit app, your feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps our team to work and improve our services. Let me suggest to take a look to this request posted by another user in our Feature Suggestions board and show your support by adding your vote so it can get the attention of the developers

As a side note, although you may know please be sure to decline any friend request from people she doesn't know and report any response or profile that requires some sort of attention so we can handle it.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

I'm not sure how you've managed to get that far - the only fitbit that can be set up as a kid's account is the Ace. The versa can only be used for an adult account.

Best Answer

Great to see you here @Bpohler and @SteveH thanks for stopping by.

As mentioned by our friend here and in some other posts, Fitbit Ace is the only tracker Fitbit has for kids and, therefore, is the only one that a kid account will accept. The Versa can be set up only on a regular account for anyone who meets the minimum age requirement in your country.

For more information about this, you can take a look at the help article How do I manage my Fitbit family account?.

If you need anything else, feel free to let me know. Smiley Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

How do you get around this.  My son picked and has been given a versa for birthday - I set it up via my iPhone, couldn’t use kids section as not an ace - it picks up my msgs, calendar reminders which isn’t appropriate.  

Best Answer

I'm afraid I don't see a way round this. The versa can only be used for adult accounts and the only fitbit that can be used for a child account is the ace.

Best Answer

My understanding is that it's not fitbit's choice. As fitbit needs to hold personal data to set up a profile there are strict data protection laws that are in force to protect children and which fitbit have to comply with.

Best Answer

Is the Versa going to be supported for family accounts? Seems random that only one device is available for family accounts. I bought 2 Versa's for my kids this Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to let them use them within the bounds of the Fitbit ToS.

I'm having the same problem.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I do understand the legal aspect of it, but again if parents are ok with it, then they should be able to select a waiver or something........  

Best Answer

I think the legal restrictions are on fitbit. They are holding the data on their servers in the US and they have to comply with the restrictions.

The only restrictions on us as users are to comply with the terms and conditions. If we lie about a users age then we breach those terms.

Best Answer

As @SteveH mentioned a couple times, and quoting @SunsetRunner in another thread:

Federal guidlines prohibit social network accounts for anyone ... under 13. It is not within Fitbit's powers to change this and this does qualify as a social network.

Please talk to your representatives if you want the law changed. Fitbit is not going to break the law. There are serious penalties if they do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The point I was making / asking, is why can you have Family access with certain watches but not the Versa. This does not see like a regulatory question (since you can have family access on other watches) and more of a product support issue. I would think all watches would have the same capabilities and a parent user could control the devices.

Best Answer

Hi @KCE3, welcome on board! @SunsetRunner, thanks for stopping by.

@KCE3, I appreciate your interest in the Versa device and let me clarify that even though you're able to access to a Family account while having other devices, the Fitbit Ace  and Fitbit Ace 2 were designed for kids 6 and up to record their basic stats. These devices can be setup through the Family Account so they can sync their information based on our Terms of Service.

If you have more questions, let me know so I can request our Support Team to create a case for you.

Best Answer

If I spoke at length with the store about purchasing the Versa for my child and let them know it was for health reasons and then once I purchase and start setting up, I see it is only for 13+, what am I meant to do?  Do they have to refund me?  It's the only smart watch that seemed to have the capability for what we need for her requirements.

Best Answer

I would start with the manager of the department, @janefamily . I would think they would offer a refund since you’ve had it for such a short time ... and because the salesperson seemed intent on a sale, rather than matching a customer’s needs to a product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @janefamily, welcome to the Community Forums. @SunsetRunner, thanks for stopping by and helping our friends.

@janefamily, thanks for considering Fitbit to help your child in their healthy journey. Fitbit designed Fitbit kids devices to encourage kids 6+ to be more active and build healthy habits with their families. I understand your position, and let me explain that Fitbit requires that all registered users of standard accounts be at least 13 years old in the US. Customers in other regions may have different minimum age guidelines.

As mentioned by @SunsetRunner, I'd recommend to take your device back to the retailer so they can help you with the refund process.

See you around.

Best Answer

I am very disappointed in the Fitbit app that only allows u to parent control the ace.  My daughter is 15 and got a versa and within minutes had 5 men messaging her.  What the heck.  In this environment of human trafficking, internet predators why wouldn't u allow parent controls on this app!!! Teenagers workout too and apparently Fitbit thinks that anyone under the age of 13 has to be protected! R u kidding me!  As a parent this is not acceptable and they should fix it!

Best Answer

Hi @Jsnmk. Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about our products. Currently the Fitbit family account allows you control who your kids connect with in the Fitbit app when setting up an Ace or Ace 2, which were designed for children under 13 years old. I understand your concern about not having parent control to your daughter's account and while she'll only receive messages from those who she's accepted as friends in the Fitbit app, your feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps our team to work and improve our services. Let me suggest to take a look to this request posted by another user in our Feature Suggestions board and show your support by adding your vote so it can get the attention of the developers

As a side note, although you may know please be sure to decline any friend request from people she doesn't know and report any response or profile that requires some sort of attention so we can handle it.

Best Answer

I was wondering the same, as it seems many have been for well over a year. Can this happen soon?

These legal restrictions are exactly why Fitbit should make it possible to set other devices up for kids. Now all the parents who’ve give. Their kids other devices will have to set them up as adult accounts.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

These legal restrictions are exactly why Fitbit should make it possible to set other devices up for kids. Now all the parents who’ve give. Their kids other devices will have to set them up as adult accounts

Best Answer

So my son has bought a Versa2 with his money he got as a gift for me to find that I cannot set it up with a child's account.

There should be a be a warning that the device is not suitable for Children under X.   If there is then it should be enforced in the shops as I was not aware of this limitation until I set it up.

Even better there should be an update to the child account profile to allow it to sync to the device and the parent to enable/disable what features they don't approve of.

Seriously considering send this back (even though my son is delighted with it) as I don't want my info appearing on my sons watch and there doesn't appear to be away around this.

Fitbit can you confirm my options?

Thanks

Best Answer