Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep tracking inaccurate with Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Versa tracks my sleep but it's inaccurate.  I woke up this morning at 7am.  My Versa reported I was awake at 5am & it stopped tracking my sleep.  Other nights it starts my sleep long after I go to bed.  I'm asleep after my head hits the pillow.  My Blaze used to track sleep if I fell asleep in the recliner, recorded awake time when I moved to my bed & went back to tracking sleep until I woke in the morning.  Are there known issues with the Versa's sleep tracking that are being corrected by Fitbit?  I made the wrong assumption accuracy (heart rate, steps, sleep) would not be an issue with the Versa since the Blaze works so well.  

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label. 

Best Answer
644 REPLIES 644

I've been having the same problem. It randomly drops hours from my sleep log and says I only slept like 3 hours. It was fine for the first week or so, and my Charge 2 was perfect. I'm going to return if they don't fix this soon

Best Answer

I did try tightening my wrist band last night and tracking seemed much more accurate.  I had been getting simplified sleep results when I would go in and manually update my waking up time, but last night, it gave me more comprehensive results - REM, light sleep, deep sleep, etc.  I was concerned about the band being too tight to wear overnight, but it was fine and I loosened it one notch as soon as I woke up.  

Best Answer

This is not a person problem. It is a Versa problem. Please fix it!

Best Answer

I think we can relax and change tracker before they can do something..they disappeared, while they are super active when it’s a matter of small issues or positive comments. I can’t really understand how they can run a company this way. My last night sleep tracking is rather a joke, unbelievable!!!

Best Answer

My Alta (non HR) has been doing the same thing over the past couple of weeks. Just...blank time. Absolutely nothing has changed about how I wear my band, so Fitbit Support should stop immediately "blaming" users.

Fortunately, I have a vague idea of my bedtime and wake up times, so I've been able to manually adjust my sleep record—and, mysteriously, it's been recording that data the whole time, it just...blacks out...for a while. 😮

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer

@jodiness wrote:

My Alta (non HR) has been doing the same thing over the past couple of weeks. Just...blank time. Absolutely NOTHING HAS CHANGED about how I wear my band, so Fitbit Support should stop immediately "blaming" users.

Fortunately, I have a vague idea of my bedtime and wake up times, so I've been able to manually adjust my sleep record—and, mysteriously, it's been recording that data the whole time, it just...blacks out...for a while. 😮

Strange my wife and I both have different products and we both have perfect sleep tracking. She has the Versa and I have the Ionic and works flawlessly. There is no issue with sleep tracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I understand some of you are having trouble with your Versa not detecting your sleep correctly. At this moment I would like to suggest you to restart your Versa (if you haven't done it yet) by pressing and holding the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen, then monitor it for the next 24 hours to check your sleep log. 

Additionally, please note that the Fitbit app currently has in-app error notifications that provide an explanation for why you aren't receiving Sleep Stages on any given night. This is meant to provide insight into what might be occurring to cause this.The error messages are the following:

1. We need more than 3 hours of sleep to reliably calculate your sleep stages. Learn more
  2. Your tracker couldn't get a consistent heart rate reading while you slept. Learn more 
  3. We couldn’t generate sleep stages for this sleep. Please try again tomorrow. Learn more

When you tap on Learn more, you will be able to get more information about why your tracker didn't record sleep stages. Additionally, I'd like to suggest the following:

• For any of the nights you were expecting to see Sleep Stages, did you ever click on the "Begin Sleep Now" or "Add Sleep Log" functions within the Fitbit App?
    • This is important to note because your tracker uses auto-detection to track Sleep Stages; so there's no need to try and remember to click on anything before falling asleep! 
  • Do you have at least 3 consecutive hours of sleep?
    • This is important to note because you typically won't see sleep stages if you are waking up multiple times through out the night or taking short naps.
  • Your tracker's battery isn't at a critically low level prior to falling asleep.
  • Your device is tracking and syncing heart rate data.
    • This is important because Sleep Stages uses a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. 
  • Your Fitbit App is updated to the latest version.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

I restarted my Versa, changed the sensitivity, everything that customer support has suggested and it STILL isn't tracking my sleep. Yesterday, when I tried to reach out to customer support, I was told that I would be emailed with a resolution. Now I have to wait for a resolution which could take 48 hours. 

I love this watch but I'm sorry to say, I am not going to manually start my sleep when the device should automatically detect it. Its super frustrating that this cant be fixed. 

Best Answer
Did you even read my post? I don't have a Versa. I have an Alta. My Alta is
exhibiting same behaviors: sleep not being properly reported.

0/10 Please read again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Newsy06, thanks for joining the conversation, it's great to have you on board. I appreciate you have taken the time to reply @jodinessSmiley Happy

@Newsy06, thanks for letting me know you have already contacted our Support Team, I'm sure they will be more than happy to continue assisting you with your Versa.

@jodiness, Indeed, I apologize for the misunderstanding but please note that this thread and board are dedicated to the Fitbit Versa. Nevertheless, you can use these steps to restart your Alta, then as previously stated, monitor your sleep for the next night and check in case you get one of the insights listed above and reply to me in case you need further assistance, I'll be happy to continue assisting you. In the future, please feel free to post in the Alta board, where you can get more focused attention for the issues or inconveniences related to your specific Fitbit device.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, happy stepping! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Even when I manually start sleep tracking, it doesn't properly record.  For example, one evening it didn't show that I was restless or awake when I got up to go to the bathroom.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have restarted the versa three times now.  I have the sleep schedule set, and I wear it the same every night.  Every night I make sure my HR is being read, and my battery is at least 40 percent before bed.  So far, the versa has only tracked three nights successfully.  Every other night I get the error that says it needs more than e hours to log.  I assure you that I sleep more than three hours per night. I am very disappointed as I purchased this device solely for sleep tracking due to a sleep disorder I've been diagnosed with.  I was so excited to get it and go to bed believing I was going to finally be getting the insight I've been needing.  Now I don't know what I should do.  I really want to try and wait it out in the hopes that tech support figures out what is going wrong with the new device.  I can only imagine how tough it must be to work out bugs, but I'm not seeing any new advice other than what I've already been told to do, and tried.  

Best Answer

I think all of us are wasting our time hoping to get a solution from Fitbit. It’s easy, Versa doesn’t work, fullstop. 

Best Answer

This has been my issue! I have been manually entering but when I am awake in the early mornings trying to go back to sleep some times it can take over an hour to do so. However, the versa is counting me lying there awake as “light sleep” or even “REM”. This did not happen with my previous Fitbit but I only had the flex so it didn’t have the sleep stages. However it accurately knew when I was awake. This is causing me to get credit for more sleep than I am actually getting. The whole point of this was mainly for the sleep monitoring since I have such horrible sleep from chronic pain. The other weird thing is if I go and manually edit the times even just changing the sleep start time by a few minutes earlier, instead of adding a few minutes to the total awake time it’s completely changes the REM total, light sleep total, and deep sleep total. The wave patterns completely change. I don’t understand how that can happen! Please advise. I received this as a gift and wouldn’t even know how to return it. The sleep aspect is why i wanted it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I think I'll be returning my Versa. I wouldn't be doing that if Fitbit had given us any sort of response like "we know this is an issue and we're working on it," but they failed to do even that, so too bad, so sad.

Best Answer
Hi

I don't think the problem is specific to the Versa. I also have a Charge HR.
Recently, it has been displaying the same problem but often splits the night
into two halves i.e. 11:30-03:00 and 04:30-7:30 (example only). It didn't
use to do this so perhaps it may have done it after a software upgrade. I
bought the Versa for a number of reasons, one being to get more insight into
my sleeping patterns.

I don't sleep very well. I am disappointed that the sleep stages are only
displayed for continuous sleep periods of three hours or so. Last night, I
did sleep for more than three hours so the stages were displayed. My start
time of 11:26pm seems correct. However, nothing at all was displayed
following my bathroom trip at 3am. I definitely went back to sleep and
definitely had REM sleep as I nearly kicked the wife out of bed during a
dream... It just doesn't seem to recognise that I am asleep. I notice that
my heart-rate reaches its lowest from about 3am to 4am onwards so perhaps
that causes a problem with the algorithm used.

It could be that the methods used work well for a large proportion of the
population but fall down where sleep is intermittent (as with many older
people).
Best Answer
0 Votes

Between this glitch and how frustratingly hard it is to change the bands, I'm right with you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

FitBit Versa team - there is obviously something wrong with the sleep tracker.  Rehashing the same suggestions over and over again are not helpful, and in fact are down right aggravating.  Please have your 'preview' team all wear the Versa, try switching dominant/non-dominant arm, and switching watch faces, and normal versus sensitive and see if you can find out what is going on.  Also, if I am up for 5 minutes at 2AM, then back to sleep for another three, the Versa should recognize this and it doesn't.

I love the Versa otherwise, but the sleep app is so far off it isn't even funny.  

Please fix this glitch or replace all the watches with one that has a sleep sensor that actually works.

Thank you,

Kat

Best Answer

I have a Garmin Vivofit 3 that I retired for the Versa. It's not all that accurate either though to be fair, it did record when I went to bed and woke up better. Like last night went to bed before 11:30, Versa said it was just after 2am. Still got a few weeks to decide if I'll keep it at least.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well said, Kat! Thank you!

Best Answer