Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep tracking inaccurate with Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Versa tracks my sleep but it's inaccurate.  I woke up this morning at 7am.  My Versa reported I was awake at 5am & it stopped tracking my sleep.  Other nights it starts my sleep long after I go to bed.  I'm asleep after my head hits the pillow.  My Blaze used to track sleep if I fell asleep in the recliner, recorded awake time when I moved to my bed & went back to tracking sleep until I woke in the morning.  Are there known issues with the Versa's sleep tracking that are being corrected by Fitbit?  I made the wrong assumption accuracy (heart rate, steps, sleep) would not be an issue with the Versa since the Blaze works so well.  

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label. 

Best Answer
644 REPLIES 644

Last night I woke up to go to the bathroom after about 5 hours of sleep. It showed no sleep by 36 steps. Something is off still on the sleep tracker

Best Answer
Has anybody had any indication that Fitbit is working on fixing this problem yet? I've owned two previous Fitbit trackers and never had this problem. My Versa sleep tracker only works sporadically and it's frustrating!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I have pretty much given up as there isn't even any acknowledgement that a problem exist. Most replies have been "wear it tighter and reset it 3 times." Might was well put your right leg in and shake it all about. I went back to using the rubber default arm bad which leaves the tracker with little to no room to move and I still get the same issue. Some nights it will track with no issues,. Other nights it will only track 1-2 hours of sleep. Others it will track 6 out of 8 hours of my sleep. My Charge HR and Blaze had no issues for 4 years. I buy the Versa and start having issues. Really disappointing as I have bought so many products for me and my fiancee from Fitbit as well as suggesting to all my friends/realities that they should buy one. Now we cannot even get a "sorry for the inconvenience, we are aware of an issue and are attempting to find a fix." I have a feeling it is a mechanical issue and not a software and it is cheaper to stay silent and hope it goes away than issue a recall.      

Best Answer

Wear it higher on your hand , it works perfect for me ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was working very bad. I tried to change wrist and now it’s working perfectly. On the wrist where I was first using it I have a small tatoo..since now it’s perfect and before was terrible, definitely that’s one reason for bad working. Hope this can help

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wearing it where all fit bits have been instructed to be worn rough 1 inch from the wrist. Same position as my charge HR and Blaze for the last 4 years

Best Answer

My Versa also overestimates time "awake".

I used Charge HR which reported usually 5 minutes "awake" and another 5-15 "restless", which sounds good to me.

Now Versa says 45 minutes awake...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did changing the face back to the original fix the sleep reading permanently? Thinking back, mine stopped tracking about the time I changed the face screen as well, so I'm just checking before I change it (although I really don't want to and would prefer Fitbit fix it to be used with any screen)

Best Answer

Hi everyone and my apologies for the late response. Thank you for reporting this issue with the sleep not being recorded correctly with the Versa. 

According to our information I have available, it’s normal to see awake minutes in your sleep stages; studies have shown a typical adult could wake up briefly between 10-30 times per night. You may not remember waking up since you likely fell right back to sleep, especially if you were awake for less than 2-3 minutes at a time. If you wake up in the morning feeling like you had a restless night, you may notice more awake minutes in your sleep stages as compared to other nights.

If you previously tracked sleep with Fitbit, your log included the time spent awake, restless, and asleep. We’ve fine-tuned the mechanism we use to track sleep in order to estimate your sleep stages by including heart rate and other data. As a result, we’ve combined the time you spend awake and restless into total awake minutes to give you a better sense of your sleep cycles. 

You may notice more awake minutes in sleep stages than in your previous sleep data due to this change.

If you're concerned about meeting your Fitbit goals, you can edit your sleep goal to make sure you still hit it. For step-by-step instructions, see our help article: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1314

Hope this helps a little, see you until the next opportunity!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
This is the kind of reply that makes steam come out of my ears. I Know how the sleep log is supposed to look. When I have a two hour gap in my sleep stats, in the middle of the night, when I know I have been sleeping, I also know the problem is with Fitbit, no me. Ugh.

That being said, my sleep stats have been reported more accurately lately. I am running the layers clock face, with all day sync and quick view turned off, with the band snug and two fingers width above my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone by Bonita Majonis
Basic (disintegrated), Ultra, One, Surge (returned), Flex, Charge, Alta, Charge 2, iPhone 7 Plus, Macbook Pro, iPad Pro.
Best Answer

Me too, it’s been frustrating to get them to acknowledge the problem.  Doing so would probably require them to recall and replace all the verses out there so better to blame the user then to fix the problem.  Perhaps starting a Facebook or twitter campaign or complain to FTC maybe they’ll wake up and take the issues seriously.

Best Answer
I can't see that Roberto's reply in any way relates to the problem being
reported. Twice this week I have slept really well but my Versa has reported
ZERO hours asleep. Rarely does it report more than 1 or 2 hours but when I
manually edit the start and end times, the data is there and looks
realistic. The problem seems to be quite variable. I've tried different arm
positions and tightnesses without any improvement. Unfortunately, the times
cannot be edited when ZERO hours are reported.

If it a software problem I expect it will eventually be fixed. However, I am
concerned that it may be a mechanical problem related to the shape of the
underside of the watch and the position of the HR sensors. I really like
the watch but I am getting close to the 35 day limit for return.... (John
Lewis, UK).
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree completely jwchigh.  
Sooner or later they will get it fixed and stop blaming the users.  

Again, last night, no sleep was tracked.  Night before it tracked 4.5 hours (out of 8)... funny thing, it popped up on my report, and then would disappear (repeatedly happened when I would close and open the app).  I had to delete and reinstall the app for it to stop doing that.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s too late to return mine, so I’m hoping they’ll fix the problem. Mine is the opposite problem. It logs too much sleep. I have a horrible time sleeping but it logs that I’m sleeping all night even if I’m up. Frustrating!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fortunately, I was able to return mine in time.

Best Answer

I have the special edition model and it doesn’t track properly at all. I have all the same issues as everyone else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good god... that is the worst response to a post by a company rep I have seen in a long time... Did you even read the post??? It is not about "does it track awake time", it is simply it is not tracking entire sections of people's sleep... We are talking hours, not minuets.. Also this is being reported by "customers" that have had previous fitbits that worked fine... The issue is the "new and improved, more accurate" version is less accurate or not working. 

As a point of hope, I spent the time going through the trouble shooting with a customer support tech for 2 days. We did the whole reboot it, reset it to factory default *yawn* things that every person knows to try before even calling just to get it on record. Finally they ruled out my Versa was defective and now I have to send it back for a replacement. I would return it to the store but I guess I waited too long in hopes a firmware update or an official announcement from fitbit would come forth. But I neglected Best Buy's unreasonable 15 day return policy (unless you spend a few grand at there store).

Just as a note, my Versa was also a special edition. Not sure if this is what everyone else has. However I guess I will be sending it in and hoping to get a non-defective one. I have no choice at this point. In the mean time I will be unpacking the Blaze that I know tracks my sleep....  

Best Answer

Mine is a special edition too -both of the ones I bought originally were.  
I returned one to the store, and the other will be sent back to fitbit after all of the troubleshooting. 

I did order a regular versa to see if that was any better, and I picked it up today.  Got it all set up, and so far it has lost lots of steps.  First I thought it was because I switched trackers, but then after using it a few hours, I looked at my numbers (which seemed lower than they were earlier, but I wasn't sure)  so I noted what my step count was, got up walked around, synced... noted new step count.   Waited about a half hour looked at it again and it was back to a lower number again. :::headsmack:::
So, currently doing a factory reset on the new fitbit, and can't wait to see what happens next LOL.

(Oh- also- hours with 250 changed, steps aren't registering on computer dash bar graph, and no hourly notifications were coming through) So... here we go again, looks like strike 3 for me with the Versa.

Update, next day: no sleep was tracked at all last night, still no hourly notifications either.  Hours with  250 steps showing on watch, but not on app...  same issues, different day.  

Best Answer

Hmm mine is special edition too maybe we are on to something maybe that near field chip in this one causes interference or something 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did an experiment and switched clock faces (to another fitbit” official” face) last night.

Sleep was tracked pretty accurately as far as hours, but the sleep stats were simplified. Oh well, back to “Layers.”

Come on fitbit, issue a recall, you know you want to!

Regards,

Bonita Majonis
bonita.majonis@gmail.com
Basic (disintegrated), Ultra, One, Surge (returned), Flex, Charge, Alta, Charge 2, iPhone 7 Plus, Macbook Pro, iPad Pro.
Best Answer