Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The app on my Versa only works if the app on my phone is open too

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I bought my fitbit Versa yesterday.  I just have a question in regards to one of the functions.  I downloaded the Fitbit app and it says "Bluetooth Error: Please check your connection" when I open the NEST app.  Under my bluetooth settings on my phone, it says I'm connected to Versa.  I turned on all day sync thinking that this would fix the problem, but it does not.  The app on my watch will ONLY work if the app on my phone is open-so...didn't know if this was how it is suppose to be?  I mean, what's the sense in having these apps and features on my watch if it's going to require me to open the app on my phone?

I look forward to feedback

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@sunflwr0314 what phone are you using?

You are correct, in that the watch shoild work independently of whether the phone app is open or not. Try restarting your Versa several times and see if that fixes it. Have you managed to get the Versa set up all right? Let us know how you go 

Restart your tracker

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have an apple Iphone.

I have tried restarting my watch several times.

I have turned it off, and back on.

I have deleted the nest app from the watch and reinstalled it.

I have logged out of my nest account and back in.

I have disconnected my Versa from bluetooth and reconnected it.

My nest app on my phone continues to state the bluetooth error unless the fitbit app is open on my phone.

My setup went just fine on my phone when I set it up yesterday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im having the exact same problem!  This is my second day of wearing my new watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have all day sync enable .If not, the yes you will need to open the app. 

Best Answer

I have the exact same problem - apps on my Versa (Weather, Nest, etc.) don't work or refresh unless I have the fitbit app open on my iPhone.

I have all day sync turned on and this doesn't make any difference.

I used to use Windows Phone and used to get loads of motivational reminders from the Fitbit app through the day (on my phone and also on my fitbit device) telling me that I was only so many steps away from my daily goal etc. Since moving from Windows Phone to iPhone I don't get them any more and my Versa only seems to sync when the fitbit app is open. Notifications from my iPhone (mail, calendar, facebook, etc.) all work fine whether the fitbit app is open or not.

Today I opened the weather app and it told me that I was in London and asked me to sync my device in order to get updated weather information. I'm actually not in London, but I was there yesterday, the last time I forced my Versa to sync.

What is the point of having apps on the device on your wrist, if you have to dig your phone out of your pocket each time you want to use them? I may as well just use the native app on my phone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not knowing anything about the iOS, I'll mention that on Android the comunication with the apps on the Versa go through the Fitbit Notification Services. I find as long as I have enabled the notifications and that the Versa receives notifications the app do work without the Fitbit app being open. 

I'm not sure if iOS has the keep alive Widget or the always connected but if they do I would experiment with enabling one or the other. 

Best Answer