Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Unlock with your phone” message on Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Gifted a used Versa, screen locks with “unlock with your phone” message. Can access clock by restarting Versa but cannot scroll or touch the screen without it immediately returning to lock message.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Do a factory reset on it and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt I think it is defective.

FACTORY RESET USING BUTTONS
On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.
- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.
- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

If the device turns on, please go back to the Fitbit app and setup your device back to your account with these steps. Make sure your watch is plugged into a wall plug or a computer, next to the router and that there are no other trackers or devices with Bluetooth on nearby when setting up.  Please log into your account, go to account on the upper right corner, there look for "setup a device" and tap on it. Follow the instructions on the screen and let the watch charge for 2 hours.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Do a factory reset on it and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt I think it is defective.

FACTORY RESET USING BUTTONS
On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.
- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.
- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

If the device turns on, please go back to the Fitbit app and setup your device back to your account with these steps. Make sure your watch is plugged into a wall plug or a computer, next to the router and that there are no other trackers or devices with Bluetooth on nearby when setting up.  Please log into your account, go to account on the upper right corner, there look for "setup a device" and tap on it. Follow the instructions on the screen and let the watch charge for 2 hours.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @Paulclarke and @NellyG thanks for stopping by.

I am glad to see here that the instructions provided by our friend worked. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Happy stepping! Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I have a Versa SE that is doing the same thing.  It was working fine, but I just didn't like it as compared to the Apple Watch, so I thought that I had unlocked it and removed it from my account and sent it back to the place I bought it.  They said that it was still locked and sent it back to me.  When I got it back, the Versa said to "Unlock with your phone."  Since it is not on my account, I could not unlock it with my phone.  I tried restarting my phone, the app, and the fitbit, but still nothing.  When I try to pair my phone with it, the Versa just says "Unlock with your phone."

I saw this post about doing a factory reset, and the first part works where I hold all three buttons, and the Fitbit Logo appears then goes away and I release the bottom right button.  But then nothing happens after that.  My fingers get tired of holding the button after three minutes and I have not felt any vibrations.  I let go of the button and the Fitbit starts back up and it still says to "Unlock with your phone."

I would love to know what is going on so that I can get my money back from where I bought this device.  Can you help, please?

Best Answer

This is exactly what I get. This factory reset does not seem to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted Fitbit customer service and they had me send the “pebble” to them and they replaced it, since it was within the warranty period. I would suggest that you call or message them and see what they can do for you. I hope it works out well.🤞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think most everyone for whom the factory reset hasn't worked released the button too late.

I had this error for months on my Versa. Got so frustrated, I left the screen as it was because it still tracked my measurements and I couldn't bring myself to toss a working device away. Today, I decided to try again, and got the same results. Then, I decided to try letting go of the lower right button by anticipating when the logo would disappear, having possibly missed it so many times. I ended up releasing it EXACTLY at the same time as the logo disappeared, and it worked. You may want to go through the steps and count how long the logo stays on the screen before disappearing. Then repeat the steps and let the lower button go after that number of seconds has passed. It works, it's just insanely sensitive. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have an identical problem to @Hunzy Fitbit Versa SE. First part of the factory reset procedure works, but the watch never initiates a factory reset after releasing the lower right button. I even used zip ties to hold down the left and top right buttons for like an hour - still nothing. When I eventually let go of the buttons, the watch boots up as normal, still locked with the message "Unlock with Your Phone". I bought the watch second hand at a garage sale, so I have no access to it from my phone or my FitBit account...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Delanmoc, I also got frustrated after hunder of tries, but used your trick, "ended up releaseing it EXACTLY at the same time as the logo disappeared".

Release of buttong timing is critical.

Best Answer