Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 battery short life - Feb 2024

My Versa 2 has been working well for over 3 yrs until I upgraded to the latest firmware a few weeks ago. Since then, the battery that used to last 4-5 days barely survives 10 hrs. Is someone else suffering from the same issue ?

I've filed a case ID with fitbit customer service and followed the trouble shooting steps (drain to 0%, charge to 100%, then restart ... and repeat twice), but that hasn't made a difference. This is starting to feel like Fitbit/ Google forcing premature hardware obsolescence with a 'nefariously designed' firmware. Fitbit now says they will revert with 'warranty options available', which seems to be a thinly veiled pretext of saying - 'Your watch is old, sorry it's not covered under warranty anymore ... yes, we've bricked it with our firmware but we won't let you roll back to the earlier firmware, so just buy a new one'. Hope Google remembers not to be evil .... will post updates here. 

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity  & removed personal information

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

Hi @DepinderS - have a look at other posts with similar issues.

If the firmware update failed in some way a new factory reset and setup may help.

If you are out of warranty they may offer you a discount on a more expensive watch which doesn't have all the features your watch has.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

I'm going through the exact thing. I changed from the charge version to versa because I was having problems, now with this one. I'm about done with Fitbit and they just don't care.

Best Answer

Hello

same thing for me. Latest update has ruined my battery life. My Versa 3 is only 6 months old and it gave me 8-10 days battery life. Now it runs out every 2 days. Annoying! 

Best Answer

Thanks Guy_, I've already attempted the factory reset a few times and that hasn't helped.

In response to my Case ID, Fitbit emailed me a 35% discount code for on one of their products "to keep you in the Fitbit family and working towards your goals", but completely missed giving me an explanation on why this firmware update has impaired the battery life so drastically. The 35% helps, but Fitbit's response would have felt a lot more sincere had they cared to explain what went wrong with the firmware update in the first place. I wonder how many other users are impacted and if fitbit is proactively mailing out discount codes to all impacted users or only to those who have 'formally' raised this issue by submitting a Case ID. 

So, at this time, I haven't made up my mind if I should give Fitbit another chance or move to another tracker (even if it's more expensive). Suggestions welcome!

Best Answer

@DepinderS  - thanks for the feedback, please note to avoid disappointment the discount is only available on the later more expensive models which don't have all the features your watch has, for instance they don't allow any extra apps and have a different interface and navigation.

Best Answer

Hi @SAdelaide - as your watch is under warranty it can be replaced with a refurbished one if necessary.

Though if it is working normally otherwise it might be a good idea to troubleshoot just in case there is something else coincidental which is causing the higher battery drain that can be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit versa was fine until about a week ago. Updated and it was turning on and off randomly for no reason. Battery drained twice. On the third time I was not close to my charger. When I got home...it was dead. Put on the charger and still after 2 full days on charger. Still nothing. No happy

Best Answer

Yep, same here. I've had mine 13 months - it definitely isn't old by normal standards. They bricked my last one after 2 years, gave it to a friend who had no intention of setting it up, she just wanted to track her steps. One day she tried setting it up and wouldn't you know it -- works perfectly! Total BS. 

But yes. I noticed about a month ago my battery was draining faster than usual. Now I'm lucky to get 24 hours between charges. Absolutely ridiculous!

Best Answer
Hi Guy
Thanks! Yes I have been trouble shooting my phone and adjusted a few settings. (Ones that somehow changed… not by me but when the last update happened)
The battery seems to be back on track for now…. Thanks
S

Get Outlook for iOS<>
Best Answer

I'm having same issue   started 3 days ago   I can't sync my fitbit with my phone now either 

Best Answer

My battery seems to be draining quiet quickly as well. Was fine yesterday, but now seems to be draining very quickly. Today it's gone from being 90% charged to 42% charged in 7 hours.

Best Answer

My Versa just died - won’t take a charge and shows no sign of life.  Is a battery replacement possible ? Who can open it up and fix.  I’ve had it for a few years and clearly seems to involve some of the new software.

Gary

Best Answer
Hello
Maybe try looking at all your settings. Turn off anything you don’t need or reduce anything you can. Mine oddly changed without me changing anything.
Good luck

Get Outlook for iOS<>
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @G-Bruce - unfortunately watches aren't repaired, partly because of the cost of doing it is so high, and partly because of finding what has caused the failure (it may not be a simple battery problem) and getting the correct parts,  there is no certainty it will work properly afterwards.

If the watch got water in it the damage may be too extensive. 

If the software failed it will need a new engine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, as part of the initial troubleshooting, I went into the settings and changed them back to whatever conserves battery best, but no joy ..
Most relevant ones were Brightness (I lowered it from 'Max' to 'Normal') and the Always on display (set to 'off' now). Despite this, the battery is still not back to the pre-firmware update levels. Max I'm able to get out of it is 10 to 12 hrs. 

Best Answer

@DepinderS - thanks for the update.

With such a short battery life after a factory reset it is likely the watch has hardware damage.

There are no settings to improve that. Beware of it getting hot, either wearing or on charge, as the excess used battery energy hss to go somewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guy, I hear you. But the issue here is fairly simple - my battery used to last 4-5 days before the firmware update but doesn't give me more than 10 to 12 hrs since the firmware update. All other variables remain unchanged - no water damage, no mechanical damage etc. I think it's fair for Fitbit / Google to acknowledge that their firmware is wrecking battery performance, either intentionally or unintentionally and address this transparently and sincerely. What I see them doing instead is covering their culpability by offering a 35% discount or looking for peripheral excuses and recommending troubleshooting steps that have already been performed (and already reported in the original Case ID). Be honest and own up. 

Best Answer

@DepinderS- just to be sure, what is the firmware version in the watch and app version, which can be found:

Watch Settings, About Versa 2, System info

Fitbit App, Help & Support section

It is not impossible the Fitbit App can cause an issue and to isolate it, sync the watch then turn off the phone's Bluetooth, charge and restart the watch, and see how long the battery will last.

Note how long it take to charge the watch and if it gets hot.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ I'm curious too. The face came loose on my Versa2 a couple Months ago and I've been using up a Versa 1. From some of these posts, it would seem the Discontinued Versa 2 had a new update?

Best Answer
0 Votes