Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 isn't tracking my resting heart rate accurately

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What is the deal with out FitBit calculates resting heart rate (RHR)? I'm sitting here, at work typing and my heart rate 58, my RHR has been >60 for the past few weeks. All the other posts I have seen state something about how fitbit uses their magical algorithm to calculate this and you need to be 'well rested and still'. It also mentions that it is calculated at night..when you're sleeping..which is confusing because how does it know you are well rested if you haven't yet gotten said rest? I am the most rested during the day when I'm not being shouted awake by my children that they need to go to the bathroom or they had a bad dream. If these epinephrine spikes of horror in the middle of the night are affecting my RHR it seems their algorithm is anything BUT magical. Most credible sites would state that RHR is the lowest, consistent rate in a day. ie. if your heart rate randomly, for 1 second showed 54 but never saw it again, that wouldn't necessarily count, as that is an outlier, but if you're sitting and your heart rate is 54 for a minute and then later on you're sitting and your HR is 54, I would argue that is your day's RHR. I also notice that with some of the firmware updates my RHR will drastically change. What is the point of trending data if the way the data is being calculated changes? I have Graves disease and monitor my RHR and this was VERY useful with whatever algorithm they used circa winter of 2018-2019 and can't even be used with any update that has happened after that period of time. The HR data has gotten so bad it's not even useful. I was clapping, sitting, a few days ago and my HR showed 150,I took it manually, it was 72. It seems like whenever my arm is moving at a rapid rate, it makes large assumptions on what is happening. I do wear my watch exactly where it says to at the right tightness on my wrist, so this is all error in whatever they are doing on the backend with their 'fixes.' It used to work great and now it's awful, so awful I am looking at other more reliable watches, possibly with chest strap integration, because it's making me paranoid and stressed out.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hi there @powellar, it's nice to see you around the Community Forums. We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Several factors can affect resting heart rate: stress, alcohol or caffeine intake, or fever usually raise resting heart rate, while regular exercise or meditation can lower it. Air temperature and certain medications can also affect resting heart rate.

Fitbit personalizes your heart-rate zones using your heart rate reserve, which is the difference between your maximum heart rate* and your resting heart rate (source).

Heart rate reserve is an indication of your overall cardiovascular fitness. While your maximum heart rate is generally determined by age, your resting heart rate can be lowered by increasing your fitness level. By lowering your resting heart rate, you can increase your heart rate reserve. 

Review our tips in How do I improve the accuracy of a heart-rate reading?

For any concerns about your heart-rate data, contact your physician.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your response didn't address any of the issues I outlined. I am not saying the heart rate accuracy is poor, it isn't, which I appreciate. I am saying that resting heart rate is quite literally defined as your lowest heart rate at rest. My heart rate is routinely below 60 throughout the day, I see it showing 52,54,50 when I'm sitting, watching TV or working, but the application is stating my "resting" heart rate is 60, 65, 64. That makes 0 sense,

Best Answer
0 Votes