Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 keeps restarting by itself

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my versa 2 since October and it's been fine. No problems, nothing out of the ordinary. But two days ago it started randomly restarting. I would feel it vibrate, the screen would turn on and it wouldn't have a heartrate displayed. Yesterday morning, the touchscreen stopped responding. I looked and saw that there was a new firmware update, so I installed it, and that fixed the screen issue. However, the random restarts are still here. I've turned it of and on again, done a soft reset, and am out of ideas. Why is my versa 2 doing this, and how do I get it to stop?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

@Cambrelieveit, welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm happy to assist you with your Fitbit Versa 2 since it resets by itself. By the way, thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums.

Please try a factory reset. To do so on your device, try the steps listed below:

1. Hold the back button for about 8 seconds. 
  2. When the Fitbit logo disappears:
    1. Release the button briefly (for less than 2 seconds). 
    2. Hold the button again until they feel a second, longer vibration, which indicates they initiated the factory reset.

Finally, monitor your watch and see if the issue gets fixed.

Keep me posted on the outcome.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm experiencing the same issue on my 1-month old Versa 2.
I followed your instructions and this is what happens:

1. as soon as I touch the button, it shuts down.
  2. I tried multiple times to release the button briefly and hold the button again until i get another vibration BUT "that" second longer vibration never happens.
    The watch reboots and it is back to the main problem.

3. I noticed it after last update I got during the weekend.
    Currently Firmware version 35.70.7.21
Best Answer

Well, after a week of trying, it's still doing the exact same thing. I tried and tried over the course of 3 or 4 days to reset my Versa 2. If I held the button, it would shut off immediately, and it took 3 or 4 days to get the second, longer vibration.

After that, the watch refused to connect to my wifi and I spent over an hour waiting for it to reinstall the software update (which seemed to be the problem in the first place) over its bluetooth connection. And today, days later, it's still restarting multiple times per hour. It became such a nuisance that I had to take it off, and now it's buzzing on my desk every few minutes whenever it restarts itself. 

Best Answer

The interesting part is that my Versa 2 it's STILL recording all the data.

The annoying part is that as soon as I touch the button it will automatically reboot.

FitBit, do something, I feel like I am betting on the wrong horse!

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue and I've only had my Versa 2 since Christmas. There's clearly a bug in the latest firmware update because my device was perfectly fine until I updated the firmware a couple weeks ago. Or, the device itself is garbage. This seems to be a common issue in the Fitbit community and it's making me wish I had asked for a different brand of smartwatch for Christmas.

Best Answer

It's been better the past few days; restarting less, being less annoying. I was even getting through full workouts with it; I'm training for a 5K and it's been a great motivator. But yesterday it decided to factory reset itself. I looked down to check the time, and it was showing the screen that has the fitbit logo and tells you in different languages to download the app to set up the device. I didn't touch the button, and I'm really frustrated it did this. When is there going to be a new firmware update??? This current one has ruined my watch, and everyone else's in the comments on this thread. I can't use it anymore the way that it is.

Best Answer

I’m having the same issue and the troubleshooting steps aren’t working... Got my Versa back in December and it started randomly rebooting after the latest update.

Best Answer

Having the same issue. I got my Versa just a little over a year ago, and it has been perfect until just recently, when it began randomly restarting itself multiple times per day. It has gotten to the point that I can no longer wear it, because it restarts so frequently at night, and the vibration it makes with each restart wakes me up. I spoke with Fitbit customer service and they literally just told me to buy a new Fitbit. Based on the number of posts about this, it is obviously a common problem of recent onset. But Fitbit seems unwilling to address the issue.  I will certainly not be giving them any more of my money, and no one else should either.

Best Answer

Mine is doing this too. I have factory reset it twice. I was hoping there was a fix before contacting Fitbit. 

Best Answer

UPDATE: I contacted Fitbit Support this week and received a Replacement watch within 24 hours (I’m in Canada). Hoping I won’t have these issues anytime soon with this new device! 

Best Answer

I contacted Customer Service a very kind and patient person considering
that she had to deal with a frustrated customer.
I followed step by step the reset procedure, which ultimately FAILED
leaving my Versa2 with a "Reset Failed!" permanent message. At that point,
Customer Support pulled the plug.
(good news, it still report 100% to the Fitbit App even though the "watch"
is now useless)

THE FINE PRINTS
At that point, she checked my request to return and I found out that Fitbit
allows the return only IF:
1- you have bought it from authorized Sellers,
2-within 45 days.
--- drum roll ---
1- I bought mine (NEW) on Ebay from a private vendor.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrong answer. It does not qualify.
2- I have stuff that costs less and lasts more than 45 days in my
refrigerator!
Done. Chapter closed. The "watch" is DEAD until a magic firmware update
will fix it.

BOTTOM LINE
Never buy a product that has less than a year of return warranty!
Sorry Fitbit, i loved it until it lasted. If you spend so much in marketing
for a product that breaks so easily, your products are NOT for me.

Best Answer

Well my new watch will arrive today and like the current one I will not have a choice to not update firmware so I will likely have this bug installed for me. Heres hoping they fix it soon before they run out of replacement watches.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exact same issue, they said they are sending a replacement. Friend of mine has had three replacements and all fall fowl to this. Its a firmware issue so I guess if I wait for them to fix it I will eventually have a number of watches to sell and recoup my losses.

Total joke though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issues with my watch. I got mine back in November and it worked great. About maybe 2 weeks ago it randomly restarted out of nowhere. An issue that had never happened before. I just ignored it and turned it off and on again. But since then my Versa 2 has been completely malfunctioning. It keeps restarting, like yours, multiple times a day. The heart rate monitor will randomly stop working followed my a vibration, and then it will turn on again. My screen will also randomly freeze, so I have to turn it off with the side button. 

I have tried turning it off and on, factory resetting it, I have the latest version of the app on my phone and I have the latest firmware update. Nothing has worked. If you or anyone else has figured out how to solve these issues, please share!

Best Answer

If you go to your settings and click on "screen wake" and then change the setting to manual, it fixes the problem. You'll just have to press the button to wake your screen when you want to check your watch, but it's a way better option than having the heart rate monitor fail and cause restarts several times a day. Now my battery actually lasts four days, whereas before, I was lucky to get to the end of a single day without having to charge it. The firmware update must have messed up the 'auto wake' function.

Best Answer

I have the exact same annoying issue. I have emailed customer support today, let's see what comes out.

Best Answer

This has actually worked. Thank you!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you -HeatherS-C  -this worked for me!

Not the solution, but will do for now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done the factory reset for this same issue.  Now the screen reads "Data not cleared, sync and try again".  It won't factory reset again.  Any advice?  Next steps?  Purchased end of November 2019. 

Best Answer