Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 screen won't turn on

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

All of a sudden my versa 2 won't turn on. Tried charging it but to no avail - the watch heats up quite quickly when I try to charge it. Please help. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the world of the falsely advertised (by fitbit) Versa 2 ( and for all I know all the fitbit products advertised as "Water Resistant".

What you are describing is exactly what happens when water shorts out the battery. I know this because my first Versa 2 died when I was swimming and when I tried to recharge it (screen was black and wouldn't turn off, on, reset, etc.)it got so hot I couldn't touch it, almost like a lithium battery thermal runaway. Long story short fitbit customer support knows all about this but won't admit it. So after expressing their shock and dismay they sent me another Versa 2 assuring me that they were "water resistant" and ok to swim, which I do almost every other day. OK, "new" Versa 2 on my wrist working just dandy until... I went swimming. Halfway through my laps I check the Versa 2... dead as a doornail! It was less than 2 weeks since I got it and turned it on.

Come to find out (anecdotally I must admit, through this very forum) the replacements fitbit sends out are mostly refurbished returns with who knows was level of "water resistance".

With great condescension they have now sent me out a third one which I will wear when I go swimming, this time photo documenting its functionality, and will continue to do so until fitbit admits that they are not "water resistant" at which point I will find a watch/tracker that is (Apple?) and will continue to update the members of this forum who it seems (according to all the posts I've read) mostly receive non-committal response from the fitbit moderators concerning this issue.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi there, @Dleong318. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the issue with your Versa 2.

I've seen you contacted our Support Team after posting here. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the outcome of your case, please feel free to reply back to the last email you received from our team.

Have a good day. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. Fitbit support team's answer wasn't satisfactory at all - they are simply asking me to buy a new device. The device is relatively new and is in good condition. I wasn't a heavy user and I for sure won't expect a 200 dollar device to stop working like that. I am very disappointed at Fitbit's quality control.

When I try to charge it, it heats up but no matter how long I charge it for, I still cannot turn on the device. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the world of the falsely advertised (by fitbit) Versa 2 ( and for all I know all the fitbit products advertised as "Water Resistant".

What you are describing is exactly what happens when water shorts out the battery. I know this because my first Versa 2 died when I was swimming and when I tried to recharge it (screen was black and wouldn't turn off, on, reset, etc.)it got so hot I couldn't touch it, almost like a lithium battery thermal runaway. Long story short fitbit customer support knows all about this but won't admit it. So after expressing their shock and dismay they sent me another Versa 2 assuring me that they were "water resistant" and ok to swim, which I do almost every other day. OK, "new" Versa 2 on my wrist working just dandy until... I went swimming. Halfway through my laps I check the Versa 2... dead as a doornail! It was less than 2 weeks since I got it and turned it on.

Come to find out (anecdotally I must admit, through this very forum) the replacements fitbit sends out are mostly refurbished returns with who knows was level of "water resistance".

With great condescension they have now sent me out a third one which I will wear when I go swimming, this time photo documenting its functionality, and will continue to do so until fitbit admits that they are not "water resistant" at which point I will find a watch/tracker that is (Apple?) and will continue to update the members of this forum who it seems (according to all the posts I've read) mostly receive non-committal response from the fitbit moderators concerning this issue.

Best Answer

Hi Marre

Is there anything else that Fitbit can do rather than suggesting to its customers to fork out money for a new device, when clearly, the device has quality control problems?

Best Answer

Personally, I think that anyone with a Versa 2 should be sent a Versa 3 as the replacement at no charge. A $200 tracker is not meant to be disposable. I bought one as a gift 6 months ago and it having similar issues. It will have a display when removed from the charger, but blacks out when removed and is unresponsive. A new replacement that won’t die would be appropriate given the known issues this model has.

Best Answer

If you look at the Versa 3 forum, they have the same issues with "water resistance" so fitbit won't upgrade to the newer model because it has been proven to have the same issues.

And Dleong318, expecting Maria (Marre) to give a response other than one that toes the company line is, unfortunately, something that would probably cost her her job so that will be here response every time.

Best Answer

Exact same problem around the same time. Support did nothing but send me a discount code that expires at the end of the month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree, my old Samsung is still ticking away. I only bought the fitbit for work.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too. Since the update maybe?! Grrr

Best Answer

Can anyone from Fitbit provide some comments to the thread there ???

Best Answer

Agreed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes