Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 heart rate accuracy concern during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just done a workout and heart rate monitor was down under 90bpm and this was HIIT session. This has started happening in the last week. Very disappointing as not getting the correct calorie burnt reading. Anyone know what I can do? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Here's the latest I got from support from David T

Mark, I was checking your previous case, and I see that you have done all the standard troubleshooting steps, like checking how to wear the device and restarts. In this case, there's no other step that I can suggest you to perform, different that ask you to wait for our team resolution. I know is not the resolution expected, nonetheless we cannot proceed with a replacement because this is an ongoing issue.

Best Answer

Wow really? I even asked for a Versa 2 months ago only to be declined as well. I guess we just spend our money on things so they can troubleshoot and try to figure it out after they sell it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had the same problem with versa 3. After multiple attempts, with Fitbit tech support, to fix it - no solutions… I decided to return it and replace with an older versa 2 model, as the versa I had previously was pretty accurate. Long story short is that the versa 2 worked great UNTIL I updated it with the latest updated recommended by Fitbit. From that point on, trash… heart rate monitor is not even close. Seems the more they try to steer towards the “smart watch” the further they get from fitness accuracy…

bottom line is that it’s in the new software, as stated by one of the techs that was actually honest and transparent with me during the versa 3 troubleshooting. It’s not weather, wrist location or any other reasons they give you. Very disappointed, Fitbit was once very reliable, but no more, about to toss it and find another brand…

Best Answer

How disappointing! I'm so sorry even the Versa 2 isn't working for you! I bought a Versa 3 a few weeks ago then had the same issues with the very low HR. That is the main reason I wear it, for fitness! If their new software and updates can't even get that correct what is the point of even having one and marketing it as a fitness watch? I ended up returning my Versa 3 and I'm still wearing my Versa (since it's over 3 yrs old the hr sensor sometimes is iffy) until I figure out what I want to replace it with. I love Fitbit but I'm honestly really disappointed that they continue to sell these watches knowing there's a problem with them. I may have to look into Garmin or another brand. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im having the same problem during crossift. It's normal that it can't track calories because of weights, but when im on the ground almost dying my fitbit says my heartbeat is around 100 BPM. I've tried different setting, but this doesn't help. Turning the exercise off doesn't help. While playing football i use it too, and then my heartrate seems quite accurate, i have no comparison device but my heartrate gets to 180 during intens activity. And small position plays my heart rate is quite consistend around 150-160, which seems normal for how I feel at that moment. 

It was a present to me, but reading all of your comments, I might try for the refund. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using my Versa 3 for about 7 months to help track some recently discovered heart rate issues. I was wearing a medical grade heart tracker for a few weeks and I found that the Versa does a whole lot of filtering and averaging when it comes to the heart rate graph it shows. If you watch the actual live heart rate shown on the Versa or in the app, and then look at the graph later, you will find that the graph does not show anything near your peak rate unless it lasts several minutes consistently. I would see tachycardia peaks live that would be 140-150, but would only last a few minutes. The graph would later show a peak of 115-120 for that time period. I personally feel that the watch is capable of so much more than the software is delivering. Same goes for SPO2 tracking. What good is a variability chart that doesn’t have an actual range on it?  High variability with a range of 93-98% is much better than a range of 85-92%. I don’t know why they do such poor graphing and lack of granularity. Very frustrating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit just likes to blame the wearer of the device and not the legit device being 💩. Where you have it on the wrist, does not even matter. I had a Fitbit Sense, I had my ionic on my left wrist and Sense on the right..Ionic had me at 160bpm for my workout. Which matched my heart rate strap..Sense had me at 90BPM. So how is the Sense or Versa 3 with the technology more accurate…when my “outdated” Ionic was getting a spot on reading with my chest strap. The answer is..the new watches are not more advanced, it’s called they dropped the ball on it all and now are trying to rob people of their hard earned money for a crappy device. That they just won’t admit that the devices are 💩. Google isn’t going to add anything to Fitbit, they are going to crash and burn it.

Best Answer

No, it's not more accurate, when lifting weights it never shows the correct heartrate when it's high. Manual readings can show that my pulse is 180,you can literally see my heartrate by looking at my chest. Most often my Versa 3 says it's 90-100. When running it's close enough, but when gymming it's completely useless. Before I realised this, back when I still trusted that my heart rate monitor could actually monitor my heartrate, I almost collapsed at a couple of occasions because I didn't listen to my body, instead trusted my Versa 3.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Versa 3 has exactly the same HR sensor of Fitbit Sense that is one of the worst available HR sensor in the market, opinion expressed by both common users (including me) and reliable reviewers.

You can see an analysis of the performances of the sensor in this video by The Quantified Scientist, one of the most reputable YouTubber.

Why Fitbit is not officially commenting on this topic is beyond any understanding.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in contact with them very regularly. Unfortunately, all I hear is, we are sorry and thank you for your continued patience. We're working on it.  Since it has been past 45 days, we can't do anything for you. They really don't care. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just an FYI for everybody:  I was able to get a refund through Amazon.  I chatted with them, explained the problem, and they offered a return since I am a long time customer in good standing.  I bought it in December 2020, so this is great service.  If anybody else purchased through Amazon, I would recommend reaching out to their customer service team and explaining that Fitbit has acknowledged the problem, but refused to do anything about it.  Good luck.  Off to searching for something else...

Best Answer

Yes 100% true, Amazon took mine back with no issues as well. I got my 2 year extended warranty refunded through Fitbit super easy too. I just used the chat now button and spoke to someone and it was on my card in three days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issues it’s always showing majority below heart rate when I’m doing intense cardio the only one it tracks properly is spin my previous verse tracked much better 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here --- I have only had it for a week and realised that I was breathless during a HIITS workout but its not tracking properly (below zone !!!) so frustrating - I got mine from a sale at MYER - 

Fitbit needs to address this issue - so disappointing -I had a VERSA previously and it was sooo good

Best Answer

It’s because their new technology is 💩 and they should not have released it. They needed more beta testing and a whole lot more look into the technology, the pure pulse 2 is definitely something they need to take off the market and give everyone their money back. 

I am getting the charge 5, but I only need a week to test the issues I can see from the exercise I do. So if it’s 💩, it’s going back along with the extra band I got. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the fitbit Ionic and it just died on me after having it for almost 3 years. Bought the Versa 3 and now have the same issue in that the heartrate does not go over 9x. If I remove the Versa 3 it still shows a heartrate of over 80 for a long time before it goes to 0. Also, sometimes when I am on a walk (not run) it suddenly jumps to a heartrate of 150 up to 168. The only time it seems to go over 100. Just bought the fitbit a got it yesterday. Whole family has fitbit devices an none has that issue (Versa lite, Versa 2, various Charge HRs, and others). Given that this forum here show that this issue exists for many month I am wondering if I should just return and try something else or if there is a current Fitbit who does not have that issue I can switch to. Anyone has any insight into this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue since the recent update. My versa 3 tracks my HR pretty accurately, EXCEPT during exercise which is very frustrating! It seems like it starts tracking more accurately 20-30 minutes into my workout. Like there's a delay of some sort. Hope Fitbit figures out the issue!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why hasn't Fitbit addressed the issue with the versa 3? The moderator's reply did not address the real issue here. Just gave recommendations but there is obviously something wrong with the hear rate tracking during exercise! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I returned my Versa 3 yesterday after buying a Charge 5 that does not show the issue and behaves like my previous Fitbits. Had to give up the altimeter and the nice big display but the issue with the heart rate was just to annoying.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having the same issue since I got the Versa 3 in April. I have contacted Fitbit so many times and they are aware of the problem, but refuse to send replacements for the product. Its been very disappointing. I do HIIT workouts daily and RARELY does my Fitbit track my heart rate above 90BPM during them. I stopped tracking exercise altogether because of how terrible it is. I used to have the InspireHR which worked fantastic. I thought I was upgrading with the Versa 3 because of its enhanced features, but overall I have just been very disappointed with it and there has been no fixes to it. 

Best Answer