Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 heart rate accuracy concern during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just done a workout and heart rate monitor was down under 90bpm and this was HIIT session. This has started happening in the last week. Very disappointing as not getting the correct calorie burnt reading. Anyone know what I can do? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109
The more I tried to use the Versa 3 to get detailed data, the more disappointed I am. The heart rate monitoring uses a ton of filtering and averaging, so trying to see heart rate peaks is useless. Same with the SPO2, you look at the chart for nighttime variability, but the chart has no scale on it! Is high variability 92-96% compared to 93-95? How can you make a chart and not think to put any real data on it. And why don’t they even show a live reading? Mine is saying 94% with a range of 92-96%. But the chart to last night shows two spikes of high variability. Is that the 92-96%? Nobody knows. And there’s not enough room here to get into how underdeveloped the rest of the info is.  But hey, I can play music and see the weather, that’s awesome, right?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

It is the same with mine, I've had it for a year now. Running heart rate readings are fine, but when it comes to any type of strength training, the Versa 3 is complete **ahem**. Had Surge and Versa 1 before, never had an issue with them, but Versa 3 is just terrible. My next watch wouldn't be Fitbit for sure!

Best Answer

Had a Versa 3 for about 2 months after my 4th(!) Ionic died (got 3 free replacements). Tried first rowing machine exercise last week and saw HR wouldn’t get above 90bpm. Very frustrating. However it works fine road running/treadmill/elliptical. RHR is also accurate.  
Has anyone tried Versa 3 on inside of wrist during HIIT or rowing or similar?? 

Best Answer

I find wearing it on the inside helps a little……during certain exercises, simply because it’s tighter and less likely to move around with arm movements - however it is still SO far from accurate on the majority of exercises it’s embarrassing (during heavy deadlifts and squats where my heart is almost beating out of my chest and I can barely catch my breath it rarely registers above 91bpm) and I’m at a loss as to how Fitbit continue to ignore this enormous failing and continue to sell a device not fit for purpose - a fitness tracker that doesn’t track fitness. 

I have persevered with this for over a year, holding out for a software update to fix it, but moving over to a Garmin Venu this weekend and will NEVER buy a Fitbit again, in fact will actively discourage anyone and everyone I know to avoid this bit of tin.  

They have damaged their reputation irreparably. 

Best Answer

This is exactly what happens to me too. When running it is usually more accurate, which is strange as there is probably more movement of my wrist there then when I'm doing other exercises. Most annoyingly sometimes it will be reading perfectly fine when I'm doing say a HIIT workout, maybe reading about 130-140, then suddendly it will go right doen to 80-90 when I am still doing the same excersice and the band hasn't moved or slipped. It is so intermittant it is doing my head in. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I walk 4 miles a day. I had ionic for 6 years walk same route same pace with ionic my rate would peak 130-135. The new versa 3 I only reaches about 114. I have tried everything they recommended but same results so disappointed 

Best Answer

I’m gutted as I got a new Versa 3 for Christmas & whilst is seems to record my runs ok gym workouts are way out. My heart rate shows as really low, fat burn mode not cardio & about 140 less calories burnt compared to my previous identical workouts. I love the watch but it’s a much use as a chocolate teapot if it doesn’t record workouts correctly. I’m gutted 😞 

Best Answer

Sense has the same issue (Versa 3 and Sense have the same HR sensor) since the release and here you can find the official answer by Fitbit. Fitbit moderators in several cases stated they don't have anything to add on this topic.

Best Answer

Ma'am, this does not help at all. 

I have been an avid Fitbit user for the last 10 years, since we began with putting them in pockets. I recently switched from an ionic to a versa 3. My same workouts are now 50 beats per minute less than they were just a month ago. This is not an algorithm issue, this is a fitbit issue. 

As a nurse, I used a portalable oximetry probe on my finger. The results were the same. 

The Versa3 has significant issues with tracking pulse. How do I go about returning it since I've had it for less than a month? I will go back to my ionic. Thank you.

Best Answer
I wish I could go back to my ionic after years of good service it died last November. All I have is the charge 2 but at least it close to accurate. I have Fitbit linked to a another app Carb Manager that I use both to keep me on track with my food intake and exercise. I have used this combination for years and very comfortable with both apps and I will stay with both. I have read Fitbit in the past bring out a new device about every two years so if they stay with that process versa 4 are maybe new name would come out later this year. I also read it’s rumor to have Google platform but that’s all speculation. I will end by saying go to Fitbit.com and look up warranty it does give the step you need to take. I know you need a return authorization # and original package and you need to call customer service. Good Luck

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

The heart rate is completely inaccurate. It has nothing to do with improvements by Fitbit. You can’t even call them improvements  since it is actually worse than older Fitbit devices that were much more accurate. Doing HITT workouts and having heart rate less than 100 is not an improvement but a problem with the device and/or software. 

Best Answer
I agree the versa 3 is a flop,going to give them one more chance hopefully this fall and if it is a flop looking for something else. I look at the Apple Watch but just can’t pull the trigger but my not have a choice. I have read the Apple Watch counts step different. Fitbit counts every step where Apple on counts with elevated heart rate if I read correctly. I don’t need everything that with it just tracker if you find something different please let me know.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Completely agree with you.  Unfortunately I shipped my ionic back as part of the recall quite some time ago (still have not received the refund either).  This Versa will putter along with a HR reading of 90 ish during a HIIT class and then out of nowhere after 30 minutes plus will jump into the range where I know I am at around 135-145 for the remainder of the class.  It does this while doing other cardio workouts.  Never had this problem with the multitude of other Fitbit products I have had.  So disappointed.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hear you. Regardless of activity, unless it's running, it takes a
significant amount of time to pick up the increase in heart rate.
Disappointing
Best Answer
Yes, that’s my biggest complaint. It does so much filtering and averaging that rates that last less than a dozen minutes or more get completely ignored. I’m dealing with afib, and I’m trying to track my overall rate as well as episodes of tachycardia and bradycardia, and the Versa 3 is practically useless. I was feeling bad the other morning and looked at my Versa, was reading 65-70bpm. Grabbed my Kardia and found I was in an unclassified rhythm at 39bpm, but I would have a few random normal beats every 10-15 seconds. They seem more interested in cramming as many dodad apps in there as they can (and not letting you remove them) vs making a high quality health and fitness tracker. Just my .02. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

I have the same problem. I had the Versa 2 for two years and absolutely loved it so I decided to upgrade to the Versa 3 this year. I’m super disappointed with the inaccuracy of the heart rate reading. I can be sucking wind during a workout and look down at my watch to see my heart rate is 110 when it should show 140 or more. It’ll randomly catch on to my accurate heart rate and then jump down 30 bpm with the smallest movement. It’s not reliable at all and it affects the accuracy of my calories burned. I hope they fix this soon because I’ve always been a huge fan of Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. Got a new Versa 3 about a month ago. Works fine for tracking HR on walks and jogs. Worked fine for lifting and HIIT initially, but now is completely useless. HR never gets above 95 regardless of intensity. Seems like an issue with the algorithm. I’m surprised they seem uninterested in fixing a defect in the primary function of the product. 

Best Answer

seems this is a real issue with the versa 3 i just hope my replacement doesn't have this issue 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope it works out for you but my gut says it a problem they can’t easily fix.I have read the sense has the same problems.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Two weeks owning the Versa 3 and I too am witnessing troubling issues with HR monitoring during workouts.  Unlike others however mine is giving extrememly erratic readings during a run  - the numbers are all over the place with quite wild swings.  Today, during a slow MAF jog much of the time HR was recorded in excess of my max HR! 

It does however seem to deliver stable and realistic numbers during my walks and spin bike sessions. 

So, do we simply return this product or wait for a fix? 

Best Answer