Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 isn't tracking my heart rate accurately

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have worn my Versa 3 for 2 workouts now.. I know the usual range and calories for these particular workouts and it's as if it isn't picking up my heart rate at all. My entire tough workout yesterday picked up 80% below zones (impossible) and my Vinyasa yoga (not usually super high, but I may as well have been lying in bed according to what was registered).. Any way to sort this out?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @LizaMc. Thanks for stopping by in the Community and for sharing the details about the issue with your Versa 3. 

Note that you might notice slight variations between your heart-rate reading on your new Fitbit devices compared with your old ones due to improvements in the heart rate sensor and algorithm.

Differences between heart-rate readings on your device and on exercise equipment are likely due to wrist or hand position. Make sure the back of your device is in contact with your wrist and that your band is snug.

Several factors can affect heart rate, including air temperature, stress level, alcohol or caffeine intake, immune response to illness, and medication use (source).

Exercising in cold weather can make it more difficult for your device to track your heart rate, as environmental conditions can affect skin perfusion (the amount of blood that flows through your skin). Spikes in your heart rate during sleep may be caused by sudden movements (for example, waking up and getting out of bed), or a weak signal due to wrist placement. 

As with all heart-rate tracking technology, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, device location on your arm, and type of movement. For a more accurate heart-rate reading:

• Wear your Fitbit device on top of your wrist, and make sure the back of the device is in contact with your skin.
  • When you’re not exercising, wear your device a finger’s width above your wrist bone.
  • During exercise, wear your device a bit tighter and higher for an improved fit. The band should be snug but not constricting (a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart-rate signal). Many exercises such as bike riding or weight lifting cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which could interfere with the heart-rate signal if the watch is lower on your wrist.

To resolve common issues, see our troubleshooting steps in What factors can affect my heart-rate reading on my Fitbit device?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi there, @LizaMc. Thanks for stopping by in the Community and for sharing the details about the issue with your Versa 3. 

Note that you might notice slight variations between your heart-rate reading on your new Fitbit devices compared with your old ones due to improvements in the heart rate sensor and algorithm.

Differences between heart-rate readings on your device and on exercise equipment are likely due to wrist or hand position. Make sure the back of your device is in contact with your wrist and that your band is snug.

Several factors can affect heart rate, including air temperature, stress level, alcohol or caffeine intake, immune response to illness, and medication use (source).

Exercising in cold weather can make it more difficult for your device to track your heart rate, as environmental conditions can affect skin perfusion (the amount of blood that flows through your skin). Spikes in your heart rate during sleep may be caused by sudden movements (for example, waking up and getting out of bed), or a weak signal due to wrist placement. 

As with all heart-rate tracking technology, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, device location on your arm, and type of movement. For a more accurate heart-rate reading:

• Wear your Fitbit device on top of your wrist, and make sure the back of the device is in contact with your skin.
  • When you’re not exercising, wear your device a finger’s width above your wrist bone.
  • During exercise, wear your device a bit tighter and higher for an improved fit. The band should be snug but not constricting (a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart-rate signal). Many exercises such as bike riding or weight lifting cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which could interfere with the heart-rate signal if the watch is lower on your wrist.

To resolve common issues, see our troubleshooting steps in What factors can affect my heart-rate reading on my Fitbit device?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

My Versa 3 for my tread climber workouts is off by more than 30%.  HR runs between 145 and 168 in these workouts, and the Versa 3 never recorded over 119.  I confirmed my HR using the handhelds on the machine as well as manually.  Same thing today with a trainer workout.  Are there any fixes coming, because I see what is written...but my Apple Watch measures accurately without doing all those things.  

Best Answer

I'm noticing the same thing on the elliptical. When I quit the workout it starts measuring accurately again. I think the workout mode is the issue, but I keep getting the standard advice here despite following it with the same result. 

Best Answer

Yes, my heart rate is grossly inaccurate in workout mode. It started after the last device update. Really disappointed because my heart is beating out of my chest and the reading being wrong is distracting. I have to turn it off and manually enter it later. Isn't the whole point of the device fitness tracking? Please get a fix soon. 

Best Answer

If you read on in the community form you will see there is a problem with HR sensors on the versa and sense. The response you see from the moderator is the company’s response to all the threads out there. They know that have a problem but just put out the same company statement. I receive my new versa for a Christmas gift and will be returning till they figure it out . I have been using Fitbit for 8-10 years. I have a charge 2 that still works will use it until they get the bugs work out.Good luck

Best Answer

@LizaMc to help other fellow users here may in suggest to change the best answer from the one by the mod to above one by @Lilly.b ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I also returned my Versa 3.Been using Fitbit for also at least 6 years and find the older, more simple models were more effective... I'm using an old Versa that actually has a water damaged screen, and also have a charge 2 somewhere that works perfectly.Hopefully they sort out the problem because I like fitbit and am used to it.Thanks for your reply...Liza Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I just got a Versa 3 and it had pros and cons versus my Iconic and previous device. My largest complaint is significant software issue as my heart rate is way off in exercise mod. Like 35% min. My iconic works fine still and may have to use that for exercise? Does the Sense have the same issue ?

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have read the versa3 and sense have the same HR software. I have a charge 3 my daughter gave she was not using, will use that until fall and hope they come up with a new model. I want gps but not a option for me with the HR problems with the latest models. If I could go back to my ionic I would but it died late last year so I got a new versa 3 for Christmas so disappointed. I return it about a week ago.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi! My husband has had the Ionic for years - he had one replacement when under warranty, but it has been amazing. The newer ones just aren't doing a great job. The more complicated the software, the more problems.  For me, GPS,  accurate heartrate and workout tracking are the most important.  I'm not fussed with my fitbit taking messages and stuff.  Let's hope they improve all the problems soon. I sent mine back and am using an old Versa with water damage, but picks up accurately...Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer

My Versa 2 has the same issue with incorrect HR readings. I've tried wearing it high, low, both wrists, snug, loose, inside and outside placement with no change. It will display 102 BPM when my HR is actually 170 BPM. I was considering replacing it with the Fitbit Sense or Versa 3, but if they have the same issue, that would be pointless. There are numerous complaints online (this site and others) about the HR problem. Fitbit, please find a successful resolution, and stop answering with the same automated response. 

Best Answer
I agree my daughter give me a charge 3 I am using going to wait till fall when new ones come out. I am giving Fitbit one more chance if that fails just going to move on.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes