Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa HR doesn't work with tattoos!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Very upset that FitBit wasn't more upfront about this issue before I spent $$$ on this new watch.

I have been a long time Ionic user and never had a problem with the HR readings over my tattoos. Recently scratched it up good though so I thought it was time to upgrade to the Versa.

From day one the HR monitor on the Versa wouldn't work correctly to track my heart rate. Some times it picked it up, sometimes not. Exercising tracking was nonexistent though which was my biggest issue, as that is why I have the FitBit watch, to track my workouts. I have factory reset/shutdown/ done everything to try and get it to work (on my tattooed, non-dominant hand) and nothing has.

EXCEPT! I did a test and switched it to my dominant wrist yesterday which has no tattoos and the HR monitor started working immediately. I then switched it back over to my tattooed wrist and it stopped working instantly. This confirms for me 100% it is the HR monitor and not how I'm wearing it, etc. This wouldn't be a problem but I can't wear a watch on my dominant hand for work & comfort reasons.

Just wanted to put this out there so others know before they buy it. I'm trying to figure out with FitBit if I can at least get a new Ionic out of this in exchange for the Versa (which I guess would work fine for anyone non-tattooed).

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @kcarm

Doing a quick search of the forums, one member @THelland found a solution which worked for her and her husband. Click to read her post

Let us know what happens.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

While I'm thrilled they seem to have found a solution, I also think it is BONKERS that we are paying $200 for a piece of wearable tech that requires a plastic sticker on the back to work. And that also doesn't sound like a very fail safe fix - I exercise pretty rigorously and don't think it would be a long term solution.

In any case, I returned my Versa today and am back to wearing my old, if beat up, Ionic. At least it does what it is intended to do, without the addition of any stickers, etc!

Best Answer

@kcarm  sorry it didn't work out for you, but it does seem there are a few members who have tattoos. Maybe in the future, it will be where things work well on the darkened areas.

Glad the Ionic is still working!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I got a new Samsung watch and didn't work on my tattoo. Just wondering what kind of tattoo u have .I am thinking of getting an ionic I have a tattoo that is black.  What's your tattoo I'm guessing its black too 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a few colors tattooed on my arm, but no solid black. And even some skin peeks through in places so you'd think the HR monitor would've picked it up. Not with the Versa anyway. Still using my Ionic which is going strong (and correctly reading my HR!)

Best Answer
Thinking of getting the Adidas ionic u see
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. Disgusted that they, even still, claim it works over tattoos when clearly this isn't the case. I'm appauled at their customer service, I was simply advised to switch wrists after I had already told them I am tattooed on both and then was totally ignored after this. I won't be using Fitbit again and I will actively encourage others to avoid! 

Best Answer

I found this post shortly after buying a new Versa and researching why the HR monitor was very unreliable. Tried it on my non-tattooed wrist and had no issues. Unfortunately, I hate wearing anything on my dominant wrist, which will be tattooed soon anyway (almost done with 2nd sleeve). For anyone in this same situation, trust me, just spend the extra money and get the new Ionic. I found the sticker fix for the versa, but really... You shouldn't have to put a cheap DIY fix on an expensive device. There are other forums claiming issues with sleep logging due to this as well. It's just a lot of headache I didnt want to deal with. Happy to report that I've had NO issues reading HR through my tattoos with the Ionic. Not sure what's different with the sensor... but I hope this helps.

Best Answer