Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 9/3/2020: This update should now be available to all customers. If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in this article, and then provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist.

We've started rolling out Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19) for the Versa series.

We release firmware updates to all customers in phases. The update will be available to everyone soon, and a banner will appear in the app when you can install the update. If you don’t see the banner yet, check the app again later.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Versa device can be found here.

We recommend updating your Versa over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Versa to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Versa I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
577 REPLIES 577

My is doing the same since I started the update, how did you do the factory reset?

Best Answer

I am having the same issue, it is driving me mad

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Versa is dead. I can't get it to do anything. I'm pretty sure the new firmware killed it. I had it charging overnight (8/14) and I took it off the charger and had to hold the button in to turn it on. It stayed on for about one hour, then shut down.  I was hiking at the time, I held the button down again, and it turned on, but after about an hour shut down. Repeat. And when it shut down, it never turned on again.

It's only 8 months old. Please contact me about a replacement. Thank you.

Best Answer

Tried the process again for my a Versa 2 ... this time I removed it from the app and from Bluetooth...

It definitely resets to factory... however it seems to only come back (even after me waiting 10 minutes) after i again press and hold the Back button. Even after pressing and holding the back button to bring it back online, it still took a while to recover - it looked dead for more than 30 seconds after I’d done this...

This time, after restarting, it had a message “Data not cleared Sync and try again” ... wierd. It factory resets, but I suspect whatever process it’s using to wipe memory / storage is failing... 

Still seemed to achieve the end-goal though.

Best Answer

Hi there @carynme and @LisaSheehy, welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your Versa smartwatches. I understand where your concerns are coming from, I'll be glad to help you. In order to do so, would you mind giving me more details of the issue you're having? Is your watch not responding? Did it update and now you cannot sync? 

Hello @irenemcmack, welcome on board. Thanks for the details provided in your post and for your time and efforts in trying to fix your watch's screen. 

So I can move forward with the next step, please @irenemcmack@LisaSheehy, and @carynme confirm if you have tried the steps below: 

1. Check in the Fitbit app if your Versa smartwatch is still syncing, if so, try changing the clock face to a different one by following these steps: How do I change the clock face on my Fitbit device?. The steps are done through the Fitbit app, do not worry if you cannot see anything on the screen for this process. 
  2. Please confirm if you've restarted your watch by following the steps from this help article: How do I restart my Fitbit device?

If the suggestions don't work and your watch doesn't vibrate when you connect it to the charger, I suggest trying these steps:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again. For more information, see How do I restart my Fitbit device?

I'm looking forward to your responses, keep me in the loop. 

Hello @theexecutioner, thanks for the details provided in your post and for trying to help others users in this thread. 

Please note that the error message you're now receiving on your watch's screen ("Data not cleared, Sync & Tried and again") usually appears when you've performed a factory reset without first unpairing the watch. Said so, please try the steps below: 

• Remove your Versa 2 from your Fitbit account and unpair it from your phone's Bluetooth.
  • Force quit the Fitbit app.
  • Turn off the Bluetooth.
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes.
  • Turn on the Bluetooth.
  • Setup your Versa 2 again.
  • If there is no connection, restart your Versa 2.

If you can't get started with your Versa, usually a missing requirement is the cause. Carefully review the requirements provided in the help article: Why can't I set up my Fitbit device? 

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further assistance. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

My screen wont turn on... it gets small flashes of being 'awake' but they barely last a second before it goes blank again. I have tried to reset it, but I am unsure if I have managed to do so, and restarting it doesn’t appear to help either. I only got this watch near the end of July this year, I just want it to work again please... feeling rather unhappy and worried about what is going on...

Best Answer

Hi there @LisaSheehy, thanks for getting back and for providing me with more details of the issue you're experiencing with your Versa 2. I understand why you would feel unhappy and worried about what's going on. 

At this moment, the limits of what we can do for you here on the public community forums for the issue you're experiencing have been reached, so I've contacted our Support Team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions. Note that due to recent events affecting our operations, support options are limited and wait times are longer than usual. We look forward to getting you back on track soon.

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

For two days now I have been wrestling with my Versa Lite. I restart it, and it prompts me to set up as if it were a new device. Then, it prompts me to update the firmware. I have attempted this at least 10x and it fails halfway through every time and takes my device back to the white logo screen. I have tried through my mobile phone and my computer, I've disconnected it from my account, "forgotten" the Bluetooth device, tried EVERYTHING customer support has suggested and nothing is working. The watch is either displaying the blue setup logo or the white logo and will not allow me to do anything else. I've had a live chat with customer support twice now and they have offered the same "solutions" both times and ended the conversation without my issue being resolved. I am about to pull my hair out. I asked the last time for the issue to be elevated and that did not happen. 

Best Answer

Hi there @stlflygirl, welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having to update your Versa Lite. I understand where your concern is coming from. Thanks for the details provided in your post and for letting me know that you've already reached out to our Support Team. 

In this case, since you've exhausted all troubleshooting steps to update your watch and have contacted our Support Team, but you're still having trouble with your watch, please get in touch with our team again so they can continue assisting you with this matter. You were given a reference number during your chat, please provide them with that number so they can move forward easily. 

In the meantime, if you haven't done so yet, try the following steps:

1. Open the Settings app on your watch > About.
  2. If the number under Version is 38.6.1.1, attach your watch to the charging cable and plug the charging cable into a USB port on your computer before you begin the update.
  3. Keep your Fitbit device close to your phone or tablet to complete the update.
  4. In a few days, you’ll receive another prompt to update your watch. At that point, you can update as normal without plugging your watch into a computer.

If your watch’s current firmware version is different, or you continue to have trouble, follow the troubleshooting steps in the Ionic & Versa series section.

I'll be around if there's anything else I may do for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try to remove and then add the Fitbit app, that worked for me.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

I tried these, no firmware update as of yet for my replacement Versa lite. Tried deleting and reinstalling Fitbit app, removing all fitbits etc

Best Answer
Not sure what happened with mine, i tried it on my laptop, my PC, my
tablet, my phone, couple more times on the laptop and PC, then again on the
phone and it FINALLY prompted me to upgrade the device during the setup
process. It completed the update in under 10 mins and now everything seems
to be working fine. i just kept deleting it from my acct and re-adding it
until it finally even prompted me that it needed an upgrade, let it upgrade
and now it works.
Best Answer

Hi there @SunsetRunner, thanks for the details shared in your post. Please note that firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend troubleshooting your watch to force the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

Hello @RazzR, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear that your watch is now working and you were able to update it.

Let me know if you have any questions present.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried to remove the app also and still no luck. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Best Answer

Thank you for responding. Nothing that was suggested worked. The Fitbit is no longer connected to the Fitbit app on my phone. And when I go on the Fitbit website, it says that I haven't paired by Fitbit in some time (or something like that) and do I need help.

I bought the Fitbit 8 months ago. What are my options now?

Thank you. 

Best Answer

Hi there @tiarinaldo. Since the restart hasn't worked and your watch is still stuck on Fitbit logo, I recommend doing a factory reset: 

1. Hold the back button for about 8 seconds. 
  2. When the Fitbit logo disappears:
    1. Release the button briefly (for less than 2 seconds). 
    2. Hold the button again until you feel a second, longer vibration, which indicates you initiated the factory reset.
  3. When the device successfully resets, please use the normal out of the box process of updating the firmware. You can check: How do I update my Fitbit device? for more details. 

Take in consideration that a factory reset deletes any stored data, which includes all data that hasn't synced to your Fitbit account and your applications, alarms, etc. Let me know how it goes! 

Hi there @irenemcmack, thanks for letting me know the outcome. I've created a support case on your behalf - you should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. Note that we may take a bit long to get back to you since due to recent events affecting our operations, support options are limited and wait times are longer than usual. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did the update this morning after 3mile workout.  Wiped out my active mins.  I put my fitbit on the charger to do the update went to 100%.  After I noticed that my mins. were gone, I did another mile of workout.  My battery dropped 10% and NO Active minutes recorded, should have been 18.

Does your staff ever beta test these updates before they roll them out??  I dread doing them for what screw ups are going to occur.  I hope you fix this one pretty soon.  

Best Answer

I’ve done the update after being prompted

All today’s active minute data has now been removed

Is there a way to keep active minutes without using zones? If I wanted to monitor zones and get points I would’ve bought a myzone. 
the update also removed my watch face which won’t reinstall

Best Answer

Can we delay this update?  or will we get a nag screen constantly telling us to update.   I hate taking the updates because I'm scared what it will do.   Especially since there are no notes on this update I'm even more afraid.   The last update in December cut my battery life to 2.5 days if I'm lucky.  

Aslo my watch says version 32.70.8.0  how do you jump to version 71.6.19 am I missing a few dozen updates?

Oh and has the shut down restart problem been fixed?  that's the one where you shut down your watch and it drains 20% while it's off then you have to push two buttons to turn it back on.

Best Answer
my new versa 2 wouldn't even charge until the update FINALLY took
Best Answer