Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 9/3/2020: This update should now be available to all customers. If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in this article, and then provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist.

We've started rolling out Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19) for the Versa series.

We release firmware updates to all customers in phases. The update will be available to everyone soon, and a banner will appear in the app when you can install the update. If you don’t see the banner yet, check the app again later.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Versa device can be found here.

We recommend updating your Versa over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Versa to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Versa I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
577 REPLIES 577
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I'm so fed up with Fitbit...I mean with the volume of
people they have in this Fitbit network it's ridiculous. I would not buy
another Fitbit product.
Best Answer

@Lubdub They're talking to me on Twitter now and asking me to only talk to them by DM so I don't keep airing their terrible weak warranty claims out loud. This is a new level of customer support. Not admitting they did it, but admitting they've "exhausted their troubleshooting options." Ha. You broke it and you want me to pay for it. NOPE.

Best Answer
These did not solve my unresponsive screen
Best Answer

The last firmware update that happened towards the end of June killed my Versa but after leaving it dead on my night stand for about a week and then plugging it back in to the charger, I was able to get the screen to turn on and perform a factory reset. That brought it back to life for about a month then it started randomly shutting off and I have to do a couple more factory resets in the last few weeks. They gave me the 25% off coupon code but check the fine print, it's not applicable on any of their NEW devices that they just announced. So nice of them to offer me a coupon for one of their OLD devices. They need to get their testing figured out for these firmware updates because it's not a fluke thing that they are killing people's older Versa 1 and 2 smartwatches right before they announce new models. 

Best Answer

@Vanessa.michele   Is yours the Versa Lite by any chance?  If so, you may have to update via your (Windows 10) computer.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No mine is the original Versa. I've got it in working condition right now
but I'm hesitant to do any future firmware updates because it sounds like
this latest one that just started rolling out a few weeks ago isn't any
better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Funny how after the update I'm worse off because its really going wacky now.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I worked out before I updated my fitbit versa 2. I had 70 active minutes and  it also showed how many minutes I had in each heart rate zone (fat burn, cardio & etc) during my workout were there. Installed the update and it wiped that indo out but still shows the exercise. Just for today none of the other days appear affected

Best Answer

I would be interested to know if they are delaying updates until your versa is out of warranty?  I have had mine since January and have not yet been offered the latest update. Could they be deliberately avoiding a large number of replacements. They obviously kNow about the faulty, untested, update and are clearly have no intention of making a realistic offer of replacements. The 35% deal in a “replacement” watch is not in accordance with mercantile law. They have caused this fault, they should put it right. 

Best Answer

@tsanders31 -

I believe you will find that "Active Minutes" have been replaced with "Active Zone Minutes", where instead of any activity earning you minutes, only time in Fat Burn, Cardio, or Peak heart rate zones will be counted with Cardio and Peak counting double.

You will also see your heart rate zones changed from the Traditional zones to zones utilizing the "Heart Rate Reserve" method.

When the update hits me, assuming I decide to take the firmware update, I expect my zones will change in the following manner:

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.40.27 PM.png

Whether I let FitBit force me to do so, treating me like an Olympic athlete in training, instead of understanding I have a damage heart and giving me the option, will depend on my visit with my cardiologist next week.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

MrMarv I don't think you quite understand my post. It did not convert to active zone minutes the update completely wiped it out and prior to the up date my active minutes were showing. Now I have no active minutes or active zone minutes. It totally only wiped out today only and converted my other activities from this week. It sounds like Fitbit need to send out a fix to this update.

Best Answer
I felt the same way and wish I had not taken the update. There is no adjustment of heart rate zones for age so not matter how vigorously I walked, I was not achieving any active minutes without doing something that would tear up my knee.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I’d have to say you are in some kind of software development field...lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, it’s not the versa lite. I wish it was so I could update it with Windows 10 lol. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Babs_40 -

Who were you addressing your comment to? Unless you use the poster's name or address them as an "@"username, your comment is not a clear as you believe, as a post does not reference a previous post you are replying to.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cybdiver my Versa 1 updated just fine. Only negative I've noticed so far is it rebooted itself during one out of three weight workouts. Got the update 3 days ago. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv    If I understand correctly, you'll be able to manually enter in a peak HR when it switches to the HR Reserve method.  At least, I hope so.  I was planning on using my chest strap to measure peak HR and let the Fitbit handle the rest.  (that is, assuming the developers address the reports of the update bricking peoples watches).

Best Answer

Hi there @Ecart.ait and @CardsChic. We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

We understand and respect your decision regarding the 35% our Support Team previously offered. Please know when a Fitbit device is deemed defective we review eligibility using the one year warranty option. For our full warranty terms and conditions, see our Return Policy and Warranty

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding the new AZM implemented in the latest Fitbit OS 4.2 (741.6.19). I wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your feedback has been forwarded to our team.

You can now earn Active Zone Minutes and use personalized heart-rate zones when you track activity with your smartwatch. For more information, see What are Active Zone Minutes or active minutes on my Fitbit device? and How do I track my heart rate with my Fitbit device?

I've seen that some of you have already contacted our Support Team to report your issues. Some of you have gotten your cases resolved and others are still working with our team. Please stay tuned to your inbox, we look forward to getting you back on track soon. 

Let me know if you have any questions present. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Following the link on "return policy and warranty" I see that the warranty period in the EEA is 2 years not one year.  That probably doesn't help the vast majority on here but it seems Fitbit are keeping quiet on that point.  It does of course beg the question why not a 2-year warranty everywhere?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@chris2121 Europe must have tighter restrictions on company warranties or something. Seems fishy though, and you're right, they're quiet on it because one of the first questions support asked me was my location and where I purchased the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes