Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 9/3/2020: This update should now be available to all customers. If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in this article, and then provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist.

We've started rolling out Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19) for the Versa series.

We release firmware updates to all customers in phases. The update will be available to everyone soon, and a banner will appear in the app when you can install the update. If you don’t see the banner yet, check the app again later.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Versa device can be found here.

We recommend updating your Versa over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Versa to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Versa I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
577 REPLIES 577

@chris2121 It's no big secret. Would think those in the EEA already know what the warranty is. And besides, Fitbit is USA based. 

EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised.

It's not fitbit favoring anyone. It's law.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner -

Not "peak" as in one of the defined zones as in "Below/Fat Burn/Cardio/Peak" but you can enter a Custom Max Heart Rate, which is the first calculation in the heart rate zone formulas, whether the Traditional or Heart Rate Reserve method.

That is as soon as it is fixed. It has been broken for a couple or releases now, at least in the iOS mobile app.

And max heart rate is still, and always has been, defined as 220 - age, regardless of which zone formula you use.

For me, at 68 years old, that is 152, though I will be discussing that with my cardiologist next week to get his opinion as I have a viral damaged heart requiring an ICD.

Unless I misinterpreted your post, you appear to be defining peak as the highest measured heart rate when exercising. That is not a peak zone, nor is it your max heart rate.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@MrMarv    If I understand correctly, you'll be able to manually enter in a peak HR when it switches to the HR Reserve method.  At least, I hope so.  I was planning on using my chest strap to measure peak HR and let the Fitbit handle the rest.  (that is, assuming the developers address the reports of the update bricking peoples watches).

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv I cant find your post!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I just got this watch because my last one went on thr fritz and wouldnt charged and would only turn on if on the charger.  And was just outside the warranty 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Snhukl wrote:

@MrMarv I cant find your post!  

Do you mean the one about 15 minutes before your post? It is still there - had me worried for a bit that maybe a moderator pulled it and I didn't think I said anything close to being inappropriate (unlike another from earlier today in another thread!).

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Makes me sad to hear this. I really like my Fitbit groups/friends in the app. My other Fitbit was awesome for 4 years, but I'll probably be switching to Apple as well. I'm not paying this much for a product they don't intend to support. Like you, I found the call in to support totally useless. Someone in here have me some very clear steps to follow that I thought would fix my issues, but didn't. And now I'm seeing more and more feedback popping up about total shut downs. 😢

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Z06tim  I didn't mean to make it personal. I guess it just hit me in one of my personal soap box issues. My point is that we all have different goals. You're clearly at a much higher fitness level, and therefore have different needs than I do. They should have designed a toggle between the two options to account for that. 

All of that said, it doesn't sound hopeful from other posts that many of us will be sticking with Fitbit long enough for me to even get to the point where I could try the next level that you're referring to. 

Best Answer

Same thing!!! I’m so disappointed and upset with this upgrade. I hate these zone minutes I want my active minutes back. The biggest thing I used my watch for is gone and it messed up so many other aspects of my versa 2 as well. I’m so hoping they roll this back or give an option to go back the other way or I will be changing to a different brand. 

Best Answer

I've been a Fitbit advocate for more than a decade. I've loved my Versa Lite, but this will be my last Fitbit product EVER. I'm having the same problem as everyone else - it won't connect to my phone or computer, and it's been useless for days. I didn't even update it on purpose.

I've never had a Fitbit tracker last more than 2 years (this is my seventh, plus the two I bought for my kids) and this is the last straw. I'm tired of throwing away money. I will be buying an Apple watch this weekend.

And yes, I tried every fix. More than once. I'm done.

Best Answer
Please I'm dying for the update so I can actually use mine .... keep me
updated,!!!

Hello...I know your replacement is on the way best I've been able to get my
versa 2 lite to work better not best but my LG Stylo 6 reminds me when I
get that also is drop wifi first and then try w blue tooth. Then I add
wifi or late ly just use cell data (yes I've got too plan and some time s
even attach by blue tooth tethering also ) until better luck and do my sync
at home evenings or if in a stronger service area. And I choose 5g where
I can I've got 2 And 5 and the 4g LTE. Or some days ii feel like using
a hammer to it.....I've owned my Fitbit approx 2 weeks now
...keep us updated!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv  You are correct, I meant to say "Maximum measured HR".  I find that cardio chest straps are a little better at catching that number than optical sensors.  Although, the Fitbit sensor seems pretty good so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see a few are getting contacted by Fitbit support.  If any of you do get your watches un-bricked, please post here.  As for me, I think I'll hold off trying until they've squashed the bugs on this one.

Best Answer

Are there any plans for Germany to release the updated? Unfortunately I don't have it at the moment but it would be awesome to test it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My versa 2 won't sync since the update almost a week ago. Tried every troubleshooting tip I could find but nothing is working. Looks like I'm not the only one 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Kyleemaree and @lizshella. I understand where your concerns are coming from. I appreciate you've already taken the time to troubleshoot the connectivity issues with your Versa smartwatches. I've created a support case on your behalf - you should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. Note that we may take a bit long to get back to you since due to recent events affecting our operations, support options are limited and wait times are longer than usual. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

If you're still not getting the latest firmware update, note that firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend troubleshooting your watch to force the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download, it hasn't been released to 100%, we're still rolling it out.

Let me know if you have any questions present. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

What happens if the update appeared and you dismissed it at that moment because you just didn't have the time to do it at that moment?  Now it's not coming back.

Also is this update a Versa Killer? so that we should have to go buy the new version 3 just released?

Best Answer

I am having the problem that my week-old versa lite is running 38.33.1.30 and won’t update.  My app is iOS version 3.28 and says it’s up to date.  I want very much to turn on all day sync, but that option does not appear for me In the location you are describing.  I went with Fitbit because the zone minutes was appealing and am disappointed I can’t get them!  I like the watch overall, don’t get me wrong, but I’m really interested in that feature. Thanks for your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mandikat509 -

The ability to turn on / turn off All-day Sync was removed a few releases ago (maybe 3.25?). 

It is now always on, which means every 15 minutes, unless some activity, like booking an exercise or logging food happens. You can verify that by refreshing the fitbit.com web dashboard while making note of the current time and the "Last Sync: ## minutes ago" message at the top. Then project the next sync by subtracting "##" from 15 and refresh the screen a minute or so after the projected time.

I just now verified it with my phone in my pocket and the mobile app running in the background.

Welcome to the boards.

Best Answer
0 Votes

New replacement watch setup with a slightly older firmware 35.70.7.14

however is working well and not glitching at all as other one was having syncing issues 

wifi issues and connectivity issues with Spotify too along with not letting me update

even though I had everything setup properly as per fitbit help asked me too 

at this stage I’m happy 

the watch does what it’s supposed to 

Best Answer
0 Votes

BrettoSparling: Glad you were able to get the watch from the store.  That would be far better than the replacements that Fitbit sends.  My first one lasted one week and the second lasted ten week.  Good luck with your new one.

Best Answer