Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa and Ionic on the same account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just purchased the new Versa. I have owned the Ionic and I would like to have both watched attached to the same account. However, when trying to set up the versa, it asks me if I am replacing the Ionic and doesn't give me an option to add it to my account. I can only replace my ionic. I did it, but now my Ionic is not connected. How can I get it connected as well.

Thank you,

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone, thanks for your participation in the Community. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experiences. I understand that this can be very frustrating and appreciate your feedback as it helps us to keep improving.  At this time, you can't connect multiple devices that use the Fitbit App Gallery to one account. For Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Charge 4, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Inspire series, Fitbit Sense, and Fitbit Versa series, only connect one of these devices to your account at a time. For more information, see Can I use more than one Fitbit device with the same account?

To share additional feedback or if you want the features to be improved, feel free to visit our Feature suggestion board. You can vote for this existing suggestion. The more votes an idea gets the more likely the developers will try to implement it. Please read the FAQ to better understand how that board works.

I am going to close this thread, but if there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to start a new topic.

See you around.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
88 REPLIES 88

Oh that is interesting! I imagine it is because they both use the same operating system, but I really dont know. It seems a bit odd if you cant jave both on one account though. I hope someone lets us know.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

This must have to do with the Fitbit OS. I was using the Charge 2 prior to receiving my Versa and it did not make me disconnect the Charge 2. I did however go in and do it myself after the setup was complete since I am planning on giving it away.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is a shame.  I have a Charge 2 and Ionic and both remain activated fully and each is synced automatically when a sync occurs.  Several times I have switched to the Charge 2 for a walk while the Ionic was charging.  I would have thought that the same thing was possible with any Fitbit.

Best Answer

Yes; you can have any of the old fitness trackers (Flex 2, Alta, Charge 2, Blaze) on account simultanously with the Ionic OR the Versa but cannot have the Ionic AND the Versa active simultaneously.

For a company that is clearly struggling to stay afloat, to preclude your loyal customers from buying and using your two most recent and most expensive products (Ionic & Versa) simultaneously and instead force them to choose one or the other is **ahem**ic!

Best Answer

I had the same experience with you. I guess it may be the reason that both Versa and Ionic use the same OS. Older models can be added without a problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Disappointing, isn't it? I'd planned on wearing the Ionic when charging the Versa. I was surprised when the Ionic was removed from my account after setting up the Versa. Let's hope Fitbit comes up with a solution.

Best Answer

What are the advantages of the Versa over the Ionic? Should I just return the Versa?

Thank you,

Ellis J. Safdeye

Moderator edit: personal information displayed

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only feature that is different is that the Versa doesn't have GPS built in but can use the GPS from your phone. Also if you want to use Fitbit Pay in the US, you have to pay $30 more for the special edition model with the grey band.

The Versa is based on the Pebble watch and is lighter and more comfortable to wear than the Ionic and cheaper as well ($199/$229 vs. $299/$329).

I wanted to use the Versa to replace my Blaze and switch back and forth with the Ionic since I paid $299 for it only 6 months ago but Fitbit is forcing its loyal customers to choose one or the other.

I can't disconnect my Ionic and put it in the drawer after paying $299 for it only 6 months ago, so I just returned my Versa that I pre-ordered and was excited about!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tags24 wrote:

This is a complete disgrace, terrible customer service and something that Apple would never do. I think it is time to switch back to my Apple Watch for good!!!

Then simply go for it! If you're going to return the Versa so that you don't lose the $300 that you paid for that Ionic a while ago, then I don't really understand why would you go with another company. Instead of putting it in the drawer, just throw it into the trash and buy an Apple watch...

While it's definitely their fault that the system doesn't allow you to wear all their devices together (because even if they are older models and can coexist in the same account, they still may bug once in a while and overwrite their data), I don't think it's horrific that you can't switch back and forth from your $300 watch to your $200 watch.

Probably Fitbit does think that, because that way they're not able to get as much money as they'd like from you. But I really don't think it's necessary to breath $hti over the forums due to the fact that you cannot comfortably switch between your two devices on the same account.

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer

I am noticing that I am receiving notifications on both the Ionic and the Versa. On my dashboard it only has my Versa but both getting alerts and notifications. Very interesting. Any clue what that could mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ejsafdeye wrote:

I am noticing that I am receiving notifications on both the Ionic and the Versa. On my dashboard it only has my Versa but both getting alerts and notifications. Very interesting. Any clue what that could mean?

Unpair the Ionic from the Bluetooth and that should do it.

Although I still think it's very weird to see that happening just because of the fact that the App is the one that supposedly copies every notification you get to send it to the watch. So it should be able to do anything if it's not paired to the account.

Nevertheless, if you unpair it from the Bluetooth and it stops receiving the notifications then I'll now know that the previous statement was not completely true.

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really want to get notifications on both. Why would I want to delete it? I just find it weird that it is still getting them and it is not on the dashboard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ejsafdeye that is interesting! I suppose it is because your phone still has it paired even though it js inot listed on the app. Perhaps the phone doesnt really distinguish between the two as they have the same OS. Just speculation though!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Best Answer
Are the steps for both also reflected on your Dashboard or only from the one that is active in your account?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

only the one reflected on the dashboard

Best Answer
0 Votes

That person is shorting fitbit stock. His name is Jim and I see him on message boards talking about the apple watch everyday. Pretty obvious what his motive is. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here.  This is ridiculous.  Had I known this in advance, I would not have ordered the Versa.  Does anyone know if Fitbit intends to do an update to correct this?

Best Answer
It’s great that notifications still work but I presume that the steps wouldn’t be reflected if the watch is not active in the Fitbit app?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tags24:

@ejsafdeye is receiving notifications on the Ionic as well, but that's not because the watch is somehow still connected to the account.

I suspect Fitbit runs a service in the background (Such as Fitbit Notification Service for Android, which you need to allow in order to receive notifications) which is the one that actually copies the notification pop up content and sends whatever needs to be sent to the watch. Somehow that one is still connected to the Ionic and it may be because of two reasons.

• That service treats the Ionic and the Versa as the same device and thus, whenever it sends a notification to one, the other one receives it as well.
  • That service may not be working with the Fitbit account that you currently have there, instead, it's possible that it only sends notifications to any Fitbit Devices paired through Bluetooth.

I really don't know what could cause that and I don't have a phone that I could test stuff in at this point. However, it really doesn't matter because what's clear is that he'll not be getting any steps from the watch if its not active in the Fitbit app.

Which, by the way, he/she already confirmed.

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer