Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many floors.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I got my Versa it seems to be grossly over exaggerating my stair count. I had the Charge 2 before the Versa and it was fairly accurate with my stair count, but now it’s more than doubling the number of floors I climb in a day.

Is this a known issue? Has the way in which the Versa calculates stairs climbed change significantly over the Charge 2? I’ve now gone from averaging 15 floors a day to 34. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
300 REPLIES 300

Yes.  This is my first Fitbit that tracks floors and I didn't know if this was common in how Fitbit tracks stairs.  So far today, it's told me that I've climbed five floors, but I haven't walked up a single step.  Now, I did take a walk where there was some incline, but not steep inclines and it was walking, not running.  It seemed strange to me, but largely harmless.  I'll be curious to see how the Versa works when I actually climb stairs or when I climb ladders at work. 

Best Answer

I had done about 4 flights of actual stairs. I did a 5+ mile walk and suddenly had a 41 stair count. I definitely didn’t do any stairs during that walk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarcoGFitbit After watching this issue more closely it looks like roughly 14-18 of my daily stairs comes from my drive into work and my drive home. The ACTUAL stair count is roughly right (either getting it exactly right or up one but that’s more than acceptable for me) however going on a walk on relatively easy ground (only going up or down on a sidewalk) leaves me with an extra 0-5 stairs. 

Before I leave to go on a walk I have been resetting my watch this going out, same thing with my morning drive. I’ve also compared the numbers I’ve gotten on those occasions to the numbers I get if I don’t reset my watch and they’re roughly the same. If I were to scatter plot it there would be no correlation at all to my resetting my watch and less false stairs. 

All in all, is there a good reason for my drive to be getting me an extra 7-9 flights of stairs? We’ve mentioned pressure, but it doesn’t seem reasonable for me to not be able  I drive anywhere or walk outside without gaining false stairs climbed? I never had this issue with my Charge 2. Yes it may have calculated 2-4 extra flights of stairs a day but it never inflated that number by nearly 20 floors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the ionic (since Nov) not the versa but I understand they count floors in a similar way. 

Actual stair climbing is fairly accurate as I climb the same floors during most weekdays.

Things get complicated if I go for a walk or a run outdoors on my weekends. Stairs are added according to the inclination. The more you walk/run outdoors and the surrounding is not flat stairs are added once you go higher by 10ft on your root which is acceptable to me. 

iPhone 7, iPad 2
Best Answer

trust me I have the ionic and the versa both.. the ionic does a much better job at gathering data! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit...please fix this issue because I do not want my Versa counting stairs that I have not taken. I don’t want to earn badges that I really haven’t deserved. Please fix this ASAP. 

Best Answer

Similar problems here. I've noticed Versa counts floors sometimes during driving and counts extra floors during day even not going in stairs. I think when I'm going stairs, it actually counts floors correctly but takes those extra floors during day (when not going floors really).

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa has been doing the same thing with stairs for the last two days.  I've had it for about 2 weeks and until yesterday it counted them spot on. The only thing I've done different the last two days is ride my motorcycle a little bit. I only rode on flat city streets but it's the only thing I've done different. It also counted it as a bike ride which will give me false exercise data. This in turn won't give me a correct overall calorie or exercise reading. Anyone else have an issue with motorcycle rides counting as stair climbing and/or bike rides? Is there a way to manually erase/add stair climbing? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The first day I wore my Versa (4/17) it managed to rack up 61 floors. Then 39, 70 and 55. Driving seems to be the culprit for the most part. I've been wearing my Charge 2 at the same time since Wednesday, and it's way more accurate for floors. Realistically, I should be at maybe 5 on the low end at 12 at the high because I just don't encounter stairs often on a regular day. I don't care about floors, but my step count is being exaggerated on the Versa too. The amount of difference is very inconsistent though.

Best Answer

Not helpful. I restart this thing constantly. It says I climbed 51 flights today and I only climbed maybe 6. I hope this gets fixed QUICKLY. 

Best Answer

I was wondering same is it possible to erase steps/floors manually. It's not possible to delete, but if you log excerise "driving" it will decrease steps and floors from the time you were driving (if it hit has calculated steps and floors during driving). But this can't be permanent resolution in my opinion.

Best Answer

Well, I did 97 floors today. Just for going in scooter to my best friend house.

Unfortunetly every time I take the scooter (4/5 times a day) it add 30/40 floors  to the count. 

I never had a tracker that had a similar problem...

I cannot really log "driving" every time I move....

Best Answer

I used to use DriveBit (an Android app) that you could add a widget to your home screen and press it when you started your motorcycle ride and then again when you finished and it would make a Motorcycle exercise activity in your Fitbit which would cancel out the fake steps, stairs, etc from your ride. But, it ended up being too much of a hassle, with all the other motorcycle things I had to get ready each ride.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's what I do too, but this, the sync problems, and the compatibility ones are being a toll. 😕

I hope they'll fix this problems soon 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any word from the Mod/Fitbit on this issue?

There is obviously something wrong with the software/device and fitbit needs to address it ASAP.  Lots of people went out and bought the Versa (Myself as well) at release and it essentially downgraded their fitness data accuracy.  

When doing actual stairs, the floor counter is mostly accurate for me.  When walking around inside a large flat building it logs crazy floor numbers along with the other reports of floors while driving.

These inaccuracies did not occur on older fitbit models regardless of the weather so why is the latest product having such an issue?  The restarting thing doesn't correct it.  The accuracy test works on actual stairs.  Please provide a fix or at least address the issue with an acknowledgment that something is wrong.

Can fitbit please respond directly to these issues/questions?

Best Answer
I completely agree! I haven't seen any sort of acknowledgement since I
posted this.

--

*L. Auchard*
Best Answer
0 Votes

Following...I've had my Versa for 1 week and it's saying 20-50 floors a day when I maybe get 3-4 a day. It's completely inaccurate data and throwing off my tracking completely. I've restarted and done what was recommended in this thread - still consistently reporting floors incorrectly.

Fitbit - What's the plan to fix this? 

Best Answer

I added 20 flights of stairs by walking around a flat parking lot.  I don't like this at all.  Never had an issue with the Charge 2 (or any other Fitbit and I've owned most of them).  

At the very least can Fitbit give us a way to edit the stairs until they fix the issue????

Best Answer

At least yours is counting floors climbed...? My Versa is undercounting. 

I was very excited to get to get this watch, and for the first week it was fantastic (other than the floors which isn’t a deal breaker for me). I had docked it lastnight to charge and this morning the device is very slow and at times unresponsive. Very disappointed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know if you may feel better, but mine count the ones I didn't do, and don't count the ones I actually do Woman Frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes