Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many floors.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I got my Versa it seems to be grossly over exaggerating my stair count. I had the Charge 2 before the Versa and it was fairly accurate with my stair count, but now it’s more than doubling the number of floors I climb in a day.

Is this a known issue? Has the way in which the Versa calculates stairs climbed change significantly over the Charge 2? I’ve now gone from averaging 15 floors a day to 34. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
300 REPLIES 300

Ugh. I'm done.

I went to Best Buy to exchange my Versa because I refuse to believe I have a properly working watch when I'm still getting a floor count 10 times higher and step count 1.5 times higher than a Charge 2 being worn at the same time. There was one left. I just opened it, and this one has a bad screen. It glows yellow in the lower left corner and whitish from the bottom center towards the middle of the right side. I hope they don't hassle me about returning my exchange.

20180424_200822.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I go about my daily business, the stair counts are correct. It just when I do a workout like for example, a 4 mile walk, then I get extremely high stair counts and that’s what I don’t like because I haven’t done any stairs. 

Best Answer

Because of my profession, I can’t leave my FitBit on my wrist while I am working, so I frequently put it in my bra in order to still track my steps and heart rate. There are no stairs in my office. With the Charge 2 I had no issues, but the Versa seems to think I climb 4 floors when in reality I haven’t changed altitude once. However, when I’m actually wearing it on my wrist and go from my basement to my main floor in my house, it doesn’t always catch the stairs. Something is definitely off with that.

Best Answer

I’ve had my versa about 3 weeks and everything seemed accurate until last night when, while driving for 5 hours, I got 50 flights of stairs...I was so shocked by the number that I’m now questioning some of my other days’ stair count. Sure my 6-miler last Thursday was a little hilly but was it really 48 floors worth of hills?! Other days’ floor counts don’t seem to add up either. I previously had the charge 2 which was great, but the versa is causing some very inaccurate data

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve just used my Versa on a walk for the first time and I can see what everyone else is talking about now. I do the same walk every week and it’s a,ways 6 floors. My new Versa showed 15 floors. Grossly over counted. How can this issue be solved?

Whats the use of owning a watch for the statistics when we can’t rely on the results?

Not to mention that the heart rate tracker fell down to zero many times. But this has been an issue for my Surge and Charge 2 as well. If I stretch my arms above my head for a while then the heart rate comes back for a while

Best Answer

I love my Versa - as I have said on other posts, it does everything I wished my Alta would do - however, Fitbit bigwigs, please make stairs and floors optional.  Stairs are not a part of my life (unless you count a curb as a floor).  Yesterday I got an email congratulating me on earning my Happy Hill badge - 10 floors in a day.  I hate to use the term, but this is fake news.  I have not done 10 stairs in a day let alone 10 floors.  I hate seeing zeros, I hate false statistics, I do not want unearned badges...I do not want stairs, flights, floors or climbing of any kind on my Versa.....make it optional, please!!!!

Best Answer

I climbed 20 floors as I drove from Manhattan to Queens today. What a joke. 

We can all write our stories here but I did not see Fitbit do a thing. Typical. 

Best Answer

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this.  My Charge 2 did a great job with floors even on windy days and when storms came in.  There is obviously something going on with the Versa Software that is over counting.  Since we all experience the problem, a simple restart is not going to fix it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree.   I have had my Versa since 4 17.    I really like it, great motivator.  If I don't do a workout, it seems to do a good job with floor count.   But went to the beach last week and my floor count compared to my spouses was crazy.   Last night went for a run walk interval and I went from a correct count of 9 floors.   To 54 when I got back.   It was windy out.  and I am short,  There is some incline, but nothing very drastic.   Nothing close to being considered a hill even.    I'm glad that seems to be the only disappointment.  But when trying to challenge your spouse and the count isn't accurate it does lead to some frustration.

Best Answer

I haven't walked any floors yet but through Fitbit magic, it's started recording my elevator rides as floors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue. You cannot tell me that because of wind, my stairs count has doubled from 15 average to 30 stairs. I can see from my stats that it’s not normal. And that’s with comparing it with previous months and years. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I can top that one. I got 20 floors in my sleep😂 i'm not sure how I pulled that one off. Seriously though, i'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree that it is totally inconsistent.  Some days it counts just fine other days at random it reports crazy numbers.  

Still no acknowledgment of any defect or issue with the counting from Fitbit.  I feel like since we already bought one they don't give a **ahem**.  Acknowledgement would only hurt future sales, so in there eyes: "Everything is fine, the device works great.  Go buy one!"

I think with a few more months of development the Versa could have been a Apple watch killer, but they rushed it.  Clock faces, apps, and the OS itself still need work.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Apple watch 4 this fall.  At least their stuff works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I too get a my much larger number on my Versa. I only climbed two flights today but my Versa is logging me for 13. I've been sitting in an office all day so I don't think the barometer would be affected by wind of weather.

I hope this gets fixed in a patch. I love this watch otherwise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also having the same issue. It would be nice to know if Fitbit planned on fixing it. Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem as well and would like a fix. It is super frustrating to spend this much and it doesn't work! Right now I'm at 34 flights and have done a single one yet. I have also restarted. Fit bit please fix this asap

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have anything to offer to this discussion other then adding my name to the list of people who are frustrated with the Versa and its stair counting. 

i regularly see 50+ stairs per day that i did not climb. 

this morning i woke up and the Versa read 30+ stairs.

i have tried all the troubleshooting in this thread.

something is obviously wrong. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone got firmware update 32.32.10.15 for Versa? Does it have any affect for this extra floor counting? https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Versa-Firmware-Release-32-32-10-15/td-p/2690045/jump-to/first-...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received the update on the second day. It has not fixed the issues for me, and I did have lots of issues trying to run the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I understand how Versa calculates stairs but no one has answered why prior models are so much more accurate. 

I'm not a physicist but I can't believe stair counts are based on a wrist based altimeter/barometer asking for accuracy to a height of 10 feet and affected significantly by barometric pressure changes. 

Why is this never mentioned in product reviews when it appears in the first day or 2 of use? I would never have bought a Versa if I'd known this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes