Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many floors.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I got my Versa it seems to be grossly over exaggerating my stair count. I had the Charge 2 before the Versa and it was fairly accurate with my stair count, but now it’s more than doubling the number of floors I climb in a day.

Is this a known issue? Has the way in which the Versa calculates stairs climbed change significantly over the Charge 2? I’ve now gone from averaging 15 floors a day to 34. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
300 REPLIES 300

This first explain why Versa is inaccurate and previous models are accurate. What system hardware/software do they employ? Why the change? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's now been 3 weeks since these early posts and nothing of substance from Fitbit. At this point I'd say they are simply ignoring a core product issue. Very disappointing with no solution/fix likely. 

Why are we not posting these issues to a more widely read arena where the public and potential buyers can be warned? And perhaps Fitbit will act when new customers are at risk, they don't seem to care about current owners.

Best Answer

Completely agree. I want to remove my display of stairs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa stair counting is way off. I have the latest firmware and have done multiple restarts, changed to the stock clock face, etc. My Versa counts stairs while I drive - my Charge 2 never did. I wore them both on the same wrist all day yesterday and the Versa shows twice as many stairs as the Charge. Also, step counts are inflated - the Versa step count was 30% greater than the Charge. Sleep tracking is also wonky - some nights my Versa doesn't think I slept at all, and some nights it's just off by hours (says I slept 4 hours versus 7).

I have a support case open and will be interested to see if they do anything other than run me through endless attempts at factory resets, reboots, blame me for "wearing it wrong", etc.

I wish it felt like Fitbit staff were listening to us...

Edited to specify my firmware version: 32.10.15 right now. Waiting for 32.10.20 to roll to my personal device... Almost afraid to update it, though, after reading the Firmware thread.

Best Answer

I also have noticed my Floor Count WAY off.  I work on the 3rd floor and from the parking lot to my desk, I apparently went up 52 floors!!  Come on now!  Every day this week, I have gotten 40+ floors when I have actually done 10 tops.

I have hidden the floor counts and my step counts actually because yesterday, my step count was 7000+ when I know it was no more than 3500+.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are further ahead than I am. Thanks for the details and now I'm concerned than before. Given the stairs issue I began to doubt other data accuracy and now you've confirmed this. 20 minutes after I awoke today I had done 0.8 km and 3,000 steps.

We are paying the price for being early adopters altho there didn't appear to be great differences vs the Ionic other than no GPS, watch style and software. I debated an Apple Watch but thought Versa was more fitness specialized and far cheaper. May not have been a good decision.

I'll need to open a support ticket to ensure they are aware of the number of us affected.

Geoff

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys, this whole thing could work in our favor. Check out my logic: more steps and floors means more pie! Some people are even reporting that they rack up floors while they sleep! Just think of all the pie they can eat...

jk, of course. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had the same experience. My charge 2 was spot on, but the Versa frequently gives me 3 floors for each floor climbed or a whole bunch at once. Windy days and elevators make it particularly crazy. Love my Versa but they need to fix this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve done all those things. My charge 2 had none of these problems- it is definitely the Versa software.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same floor issue. Last week I had a walk in the forrest for about ten miles and according Versa I walked 121 stairs that day, yet I never saw one in that forrest 🙂

I like the watch very much but this is a pain in the buttom... please Fitbit, fix this issue!

And please respond to this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I heard back from support on my case and am deeply disappointed with them. I sent them screen shots and videos of me wearing the charge and Versa next to each other on my wrist for a whole day to show the discrepancies.

Here is what they said:

——-

We would like to share with you that Fitbit has worked hard to make sure that our devices do not pick up false steps, floors or activity recordings while driving. Unless you're driving in a car with a very stiff transmission or on bumpy roads, your device should not give you any false readings. However, your watch detects floors using an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure. Though your device is designed to look for pressure changes based on elevation gains, pressure changes due to other causes such as a gust of wind, a weather change.

Also, please keep in mind that the algorithms used in both devices are the same, so you should see no more than a standard 4% variation between the two. It's possible to get different readings if the trackers are worn in different locations (dominant vs non-dominant wrist). We recommend reviewing the accuracy information provided on our help site at help.fitbit.com

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

——-

So I got the usual “stiff transmission” and “windy weather” lines, which are unacceptable. I’ve seen other folks on the forum have gotten those same excuses. Sad.

Fitbit needs to get a handle on these accuracy problems. 

Edited to fix typo. 

Best Answer

Well, after 2 weeks, I’ve returned the Versa to the retailer and am back to wearing my charge 2. 

- impossible lock of the wristband, causing me to break several nails trying to replace it

- the horrible material of the band that is so rigid it wouldn’t sit right and left marks on my wrist and I had to buy a cheap brand strap for use

- inaccurate stats, one of them the stairs

- apps I can’t use yet they advertise with it. Contactless paying?  Not supported in my country. Alot of these apps are useless to me, as from what I’ve seen they seem to be  american focused. 

- short battery life. 3 days is what I managed at the most. Even with only using it as a watch, or it staying dormant next to my bed for a day

If they come with a new charge version, I’ll most likely buy it, but I’m staying away from their ‘smart watches’.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After some experimentation, I have found that the Versa counts steering wheel movements as steps. So it thinks I am active when I am driving and counts increases in elevation as floors. When I take the Versa off my wrist and keep it on my person, it ceases to count driving as steps and floors. 

This may be a workaround for some, but it it is not a solution. The fact remains that my Charge handles driving correctly and the Versa does not. Therefore, there is a problem with the Versa. 

I hope Fitbit can fix these problems soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve tried restarting my versa multiple times and this continues to be a problem. Today while on a two hour drive I noticed a couple thousand extra steps and 68 floors. This is unacceptable! Is anything being done to fix this problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the Charge works then Fitbit has the ability to deliver step accuracy on the Versa.
Possible reasons:
A new component such as the altimeter or gyroscope is not as accurate. There is no solution for this issue short of a redesign.

A run of watches with a defective component. This would require a recall to correct/replace the bad units.

A software algorithm that is not as accurate. A firmware update could solve this.

For all our sake let's hope it's number 3.

Disappointing given they had a better product and modified it. That's why I suspect it's problem 1 or 2. And there's not much hope.

I think we need to broadcast the stair and step issues widely so the press and dropping Versa sales will force a fix/recall as Apple had to do with its batteries.

Geoff

Best Answer

Time to put these issues into the marketplace press to force Fitbit to react.

Geoff

Best Answer

Fitbit support continues to deny that the problem exists. I’ve gone to great lengths to gather data, screen shots and videos to show them the problems. I’m at wits end. This is the second time they’ve responded with the “stiff transmission” line and simply told me that there is no problem. 

——-their response——

Thank you for all the detailed information you're providing us regarding the steps and floors getting while you're driving. 

Regarding the extra steps you're getting while you're driving, we'd like to let you know that your device has been tested against driving, buses, trains, and other public transportation and should not give you extra steps when you’re traveling under normal conditions. On bumpy roads or in a car with a stiff transmission you may get extra steps. Though a few extra steps won't affect your trends, it's possible to log a driving activity and remove the steps from your account totals. For more information see How do I edit or delete Fitbit data and activities?  Also we'd like to recommend you an app called DriveBit, it connects to your Fitbit account and has one button. You press it to when you get in the car and press again when leaving. This time period then synced to Fitbit as driving and removes the false steps.

——-

Best Answer
0 Votes

I exchanged my first Versa for a second one (first was regular edition and the second one was the special edition) and am getting the same problem.  31 flights of stairs for a 20 minute walk around a flat parking lot.  Not feeling optimistic and might have to go back to the Charge 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Support has asked me to track activity and results so I'm hopeful.

Geoff

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just unpaired my Versa from my phone and did a factory reset. It added more than 10 flights of stairs while it sat in the charger during post-reset setup. It added steps, too, but I’m not sure how many exactly. 

I am am going to leave the stock clock face on and do minimal twiddling and app installs and will see if the reset makes any difference. 

Maybe some some units are simply defective...

Best Answer
0 Votes