Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa crashes/reboots when trying to sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife's Versa suddenly stopped syncing. When trying to manually sync, I noticed that every time when the Versa tries to sync, it freezes (not responding to button presses) and then reboots.

I've done a factory reset of the Versa and a reinstall of the Fitbit app on her phone (Samsung J5-2017), but the problem reappears. The initial setup is working, but when I try to sync it starts crashing/rebooting again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @Ron83, welcome aboard! Oh! I can see the possible cause. Your wife's phone model, the Samsung J5-2017, isn't on the list of compatible devices yet, so that is why it won't sync, and she could have been able to complete the setup process, but that doesn't guarantee that the Versa will  sync as expected with that phone. On the other side, I want to thank you for trying to factory reset it and reinstall the app on her phone to try to fix this. Now let me ask you this, have you tried to use a compatible device to sync her Versa? Or maybe a computer? If not, please try that out. Also, you can follow the syncing troubleshooting stated in this help article for further help, and let me know how it goes! 

I'll be round! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Funny thing is that she's been using it for weeks without any problem or issue. Might be linked to the latest firmware update.

The retailer markets it as 'works on Android', which is apparently not fully true. I'll try with a compatible devicen, but we might need to return it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response @Ron83! Maybe you can try to sync your wife's Versa with your phone (if it is compatible) and see how it works, 'cause as I mentioned, in this case the main reason why it won't sync, is due to the incompatibility. So could you please also try to sync the Versa with a computer? 

Give it a try and let me know how it goes! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I've tried syncing with other phones and with a Windows 10 PC (Surface Pro 4); the only thing that gets synced sometimes is the number of steps from today. All other data never gets synced with the app on all devices saying 'your sync is scheduled and will start soon'. It obviously never does.

It's also strange that the Versa is in a constant discoverable mode from a Bluetooth perspective. Even when connected to a phone, all other Bluetooth devices still can create a Bluetooth connection with it.

I guess it's broken...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine started doing the same a few days ago. Every morning, when syncing for the first time of the day, my versa crashes and reboots. Tried different things to see what could be the cause. 

First thing I can rule out is "Device incompatibility", since I use a Nexus 6 which is in the compatible phones list.

The second thing I'm trying to figure out is if clock faces could be guilty of causing crashes. I switched to Fitbit's Layers clock face and on the morning, when it usually crashes, it didn't. Tried with a few other clock faces and it started crashing again. Note that I used different clock faces from a single dev, but I'm not sure how a clock face could impact syncing. 

The way I see it, it's either a firmware issue, where something needs to be optimized, or because my watch should be RMA'd. Seeing how it didn't crash with a Fitbit-developped clock face, I believe it would be the former.

Anyways, I tried factory resetting but it's not done yet. I'll report back if it happens again.

Best Answer

yup mine did that.  after 3 months!  I sent it to fitbit...  waiting on a new one.  BUT I am not confident that it wont do it again.  I have an Iphone X and I am pretty sure even though it is on that compatible list.   it pretty much isnt.  haha!  I am waiting for the Iwatch series 4.  Meanwhile I hope I get my fitbit replacement in a week or so ha!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a huawei mate 10 pro .. And my versa freezes when I sync....no response on Button and touch .. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kind of late answer because I forgot I posted on this thread, but a factory reset seems to have fixed the issue. It's been a over week since I followed these steps and my watch is fine ever since:
1. Factory reset the watch (Settings -> about -> Factory Reset)

2. Clear app data on phone, both cache and data

clearing app data should log you out of the app. So relog on your account and pair your resetted versa.

You shouldn't lose any data, since it's all synced to your Fitbit account. 

It worked on android, but I can't tell if it'll fix anything on iOS

Best Answer
0 Votes