Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa is unable to connect to GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Fitbit Versa since January and had no problems with it until now. Previously, it would always connect to GPS through Bluetooth and sync my running however, for some reason last week the watch has stopped connecting.

Before and during a workout, the watch is always on 'connecting' which means after a workout I have to disrupt the Bluetooth connection because the watch refuses to sync to the Fitbit app. As I've disrupted the connect, my exercise then won't upload to Strava. If I then manually enter my exercise onto Strava, it then feeds back to my Fitbit App and skews my steps and calorie burn data. 

This has been going on for a week now and I have tried everything I can think of. I've disconnected everything, restarted my Bluetooth on my phone and reset the watch. Any help would be appreciated as this isn't the first Fitbit product that I've had problems with. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Hello @MelissaJade thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, have a warm welcome. 

First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in the response. I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. I also thank you for letting us know the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. At this moment, I would like to suggest you the following:

1. Go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure that Location has been set up to Always. 
  2. Before you start a GPS activity, open the Fitbit app. 
  3. Once open, start the activity from your tracker and wait for it to connect. Do not force-quit the app, as it should be running in the background. 

Give this a try and let us know the outcome, we'll be waiting to hear from you. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

I have tried all the suggested steps and this hasn't worked for me.  The problem started a few weeks before Christmas and I use a Galaxy S9 any chance updates could have caused a problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is happening to me, started before Christmas and still on going updates have not helped. 

Best Answer

@MarcoGFitbit any other suggestions? 

Best Answer

I’ve just run and by opening the fit bit app and leaving it open the watch connected. So that seems to work. A bit annoyed as I did not have to do this previously but at least it’s working now. Maybe an announcement needs to be made to alert people to this being required. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there, thanks for your suggestion. I have done this though and wasn't successful. I can use the app instead to track the run and would always have to take my phone in the past to log the route, but having to use the app to log the route is a pain and somewhat inaccurate and the watch without the connectivity is also inaccurate, so not sure what I'm achieving at the moment! 🙂

Best Answer

@SamD08  @Pat23   I don't know if this started with an iOS update or the Versa family OS update, but I noticed the following.  The Location Services (iPhone Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Fitbit) give you the option of Always, When Using the App and Never.  My Versa 2 will not connect if my setting is When using the App, even when the app is open.  It will connect when that setting is on Always.

Let me know if this helps you!

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The app is set to always on but still not connecting without the app being open, worked before without having the app open but not since before Christmas.

Kindest Regards
Sent from my I phone

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an android phone,  so can't follow what you have given and can't find anything similar. My watch won't connect at all, app open or not 😞 I've been through almost every setting in the phone and in the app and can't seem to resolve it.

Best Answer

I found this response misleading/confusing. Not sure what settings you're talking about. Here's my attempt to clarify, in case it helps somebody (worked for my on my Versa 1 and Pixel 3):

Instead of "Settings > Fitbit and make sure that Location has been set up to Always." in your post, I think you meant:

"Settings > Apps & notifications >  (might need to select something like, "See all 157 apps" on this screen) > Fitbit

After selecting Fitbit, it's Permissions > Location (should be listed under "Allowed"). When you select "Location on this screen, you should have 3 options: "Allow all the time", "Allow only while using the app", and "Deny".

I had to select "Allow all the time", regardless of whether or not the app was open or not. That could be viewed as a privacy concern. If so, you'll want to disable it when you're not wanting to use GPS. Yes, that would be a hassle.

Best Answer

I've tried every tip recommended and nothing works.  Now the latest is that it only tracks 1/2 the workout, at least while it wouldn't connect to gps it at least got close to the correct mileage. Now it's clocking half at best.  I can only hope that all the other stats are right?! 🤞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any updates to this? I've been having the same problem this week. It's happened before, but usually restarting with watch will force it to work again. I've tried restarting, the "location always" is on. I've tried everything suggested. Today, for the first time, I started a "bike" exercise. I got 0 minutes, 0 calories, 0 everything. It was very, very frustrating. I can only assume it was because it was "connecting" the whole time. For a walk, at least I get all the info, I just don't get a map. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

No, I have had no updates. Mine still never connects, if I want to map my runs I have to turn on the app on my phone. It's very annoying and will put me off buying a Fitbit again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If I keep my phone awake it works fine. But that seems to be the only way to make it work.  I've given up trying at this point. 

Best Answer

I also have this issue with my Versa2 version 70.8.0 and iPhone Xs running 13.5.1

I have to leave the app open with my screen on for my Versa2 to stay connected during a run.

If I switch apps or lock my phone screen, the Versa2 changes states from 'connected' to 'connecting...".

So it works if I leave my phone screen unlocked, or ON, but this kills my phone battery because my screen is on the whole time.

The only way to get back to 'connected' state is to open my phone back to the FitBit app and leave it on and running the entire time.

This is new behavior, because previously I was able to lock my phone screen (turn off my screen) and my Versa2 was able to stay in the 'connected' state.

Best Answer

Exactly my issue!!  I've given up.  I never had this problem with the blaze I had before this, same phone btw.  It's just the versa. Now i don't even try to track it, i just go with steps and hope for the best. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked for me, thank you! I didn’t realize I needed to open the app on my phone in order to make the connection happen.

Best Answer

I notice the same for a couple of days. I have the iPhone 8+ and running on 13.6. I think it has to do with the iOS update I did this Monday to 13.6 cause ever since I have the same issue like you guys. It sucks to have the app open even if I just go to another app it starts to 'connect' in like less than 10 seconds. I tried to restart it (press and hold the button for 10 seconds at the versa 2) but it didn't work. I hope Fitbit (or Apple) finds a solution soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly my problem. I have used my Fitbit versa with an iPhone for almost two years. Since not long ago it started disconnecting from the GPS if I don’t keep the phone unlocked. This is not acceptable. 

Best Answer