Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa recording steps and calories burned inaccurately.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

My Fitbit Versa is incorrectly tracking my steps and calories burned.

I woke up this morning having lost 524 calories just sleeping and walked 953 steps to the bathroom.

Please can any one give advice or suggestions. My personal details are loaded correctly.

This is day 2 with the watch.

Thanks in advance

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
44 REPLIES 44

Dude...when you put in your height, weight, and gender the Fitbit then estimates your basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories your body needs to just stay alive) My body hurts 2500 calories just to operate on a cellular level...I can literally do nothing but breathe for 24 hrs and my body will burn 2500 calories (aka BMR) the Fitbit estimates your calories burned starting at midnight.  REGARDLESS if you wear it to bed, your phone app and Fitbit device will know to reset overnight and “estimate” your calories burned due to your body burning calories 24 hours a day even if you just lay down and breathe.  Your Fitbit is not broken...it is doing exactly what it should do.  Do some research about BMR.  

Best Answer
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't sleep with my Versa on. When I put it on in the morning it shows I have burned 548 calories!! How is this possible?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your body burns calories 24/7 regardless of your physical activity.  This is called the BMR...your body’s caloric need just to run at a cellular level. Your Fitbit takes the data you entered when you got it...height, current weight, age, sex...and it estimates your body’s BMR. That way your Fitbit can estimate calories burned throughout the day. There are of course extra calories burned when you exercise but the overall daily BMR rate will be constant, even on rest days.  So when you take your watch off at night and then it on in the morning it estimates how many calories your body burned to operate overnight aka your BMR.  Do research and you’ll better understand BMR and why you’d burn calories while you sleep. Your Fitbit is not broken, it’s doing it’s job.

Best Answer
I OK

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Phedd bro, you act  like you realllly know bmr but you reallllly dont know bmr for **ahem**. Let me explain a little bit to you...I'm a 28 year old male, 6 foot, 184 pounds....my bmr is roughly 1850cal give or take....My versa registers 3850 calories burned on a day where i am absolutely sedentary (my off day from work and gym.) For me to actually burn 3850 calories that day, id have to have hit the gym HARD and done some sort of cardio or long work day. You honestly dont know **ahem** about calories burned buddy. do your own research before you come bashing other people. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey **ahem**head...read this (https://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/boost-weight-loss-by-knowing-your-bmr.aspx) and maybe you’ll better understand the concept called BMR. You are in luck as I can tell you why you have your own BMR fudged up. You say it’s “1850 give or take” Did you multiply that 1850 by your level of activity? Probably not you **ahem** clown...let me do it for you.  If you workout around 3-5 days a week then 1850 x 1.5 (activity level) = 2775 cals. Isn’t that crazy man?!?! When you actually try to call someone out and then they hit you back correcting you. I hope my link gives you a starting point to actually help you better understand BMR so that you my friend won’t look like a dumbass when you post.  If your versa reads 3800 or so cals on a day off then sure you may have something wrong with it.  All I’m trying to do is get people to understand that calories are burned just to stay alive and that your body does in fact burn calories while you sleep. That’s why a versa would estimate that.  Either way...thank you for blessing me with a good laugh today. I chuckled at your poor attempt to correct me.  I also suggest reading some research articles about BMR on the NCBI website (national center for biotechnology information), this is the main website I used when I wrote my research paper about BMR in nursing school.  Oops...forgot to mention to you that I have done EXTENSIVE research about BMR. Sorry to rain on your parade but you are all kinds of **ahem**ed up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I really don’t appreciate your ‘ahem’ condescending attitude.  I’d say more but quite frankly it’s not worth my time.....you clown.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree! I just received my Versa 2. I haven’t figured out how to even turn it on yet to use the device. Haven’t even had it on yet but show over 300 calories burned in the app!! If it’s not going to record any type of accuracy I’m not interested. Already thinking of returning it. Very frustrated. 

Best Answer

In your app you put in your age, weight, height, and average activity info correct? That’s how you calculate your estimated BMR.  The Fitbit uses that info to estimate your BMR and when you exercise it will track heartbeat and intensity to further calculate calories expended.  Your app is linked to the device...your app is constantly updating regardless of your device being turned on.  Every night at midnight the app will zero out for the day and start estimating your BMR based solely on your demographic data you entered from the first time you logged in to your app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why does it have history for previous weeks when I didn’t even Have it?!?! Just doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Lmfaoooo dude you’re **ahem**in funny. I know what bmr is you clown. When I say my bmr is 1850 I know that’s  my basal metabolic rate dumb **ahem**. I know I burn 2800 calories in my gym day thanks for thinking you needed to tell me something I already know. I have a degree I biochemistry from a university and I just applied for the masters program at the university here. I have diet and nutrition expertise I’ve gained experience from managing at GNC. So please spare me any knowledge you think you can bestow upon me. On my days off from gym and work I burn 2300-2400 calories and I’m literally sitting on my **ahem** chilling. My point here is that you come in here talking like you know your **ahem** but in reality you’re just a **ahem**in dickhead with a stick up his **ahem**. The fit bit step and calorie tracker is not accurate. Get over it **ahem**boi

Best Answer
0 Votes

yes i am on. The device is not at all good. The calorie counting is not correct..400 steps showing 1000 calorie burnt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My versa 2 ti not giving accurate active minutes or calories burned. Example: Floors-12. Miles-8.91, Cals-2,325, Steps-20,677, and active minutes-0 Is this just broken? The only way my active minutes is 0 is fi I am dead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To update your information; I did BMR's back in the day. BMRs are no longer used it is archaic, we now use PBI to assess metabolic rates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are a nurse? Really? Seriously? Well I am an RN who has educated many nurses and premeds. And I would NEVER speak to someone the way you did. I certainly hope you are not working anywhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

👍🏼 Sorry you feel that way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don"t worry about it. You might need a little practice talking to people. Have a very good day. I realize that nurses carry much more stress than the general population.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Don"t worry about it. You might need a little practice talking to people. Have a very good day. I realize that nurses carry much more stress than the general population.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello just a quick question. It shows my calories burned during the day (around 3500) but the total calories burned after my exercise (900) was not included in my total. Is there a way to automatically add those calories that I burned during my workout so I know exactly what I burned for the day so it’s included in my stats? I appreciate the time here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes