Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high spikes in heart rate-over 200 BPM

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Very high spikes in heart rate-over 200 BPM

Hi-I am 69 years old, very active, work out, run, and play racquetball regularly. I’m in excellent shape, and have no medical issues. I’ve noticed recently during runs and workouts, that my heart rate according to the versa is showing as high as 210 BPM.  I’m not having any issues physically, and my average heart rate during the work out is still normal, between 130 and 145 average for the entire work out. I’ve talked to several people, and they seem to think that this is a technical issue with the fit bit. 

Your thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner This happens to me, too. And it's not a problem with your heart. Don't let people scare you. I've had several different fitbit models with the HR monitor and they've all done the same thing. I'll run/ walk in intervals and I'll check near the end of a walk interval and Versa will report my HR at 200 bpm. After the next run interval, it will be 130. I just chalk it up to the fact that continuously monitoring HR with light on the wrist is not easy. And fitbit doesn't claim to be a medical device. And their trackers are buggy. So, clearly *I'm* the problem, because I keep buying them, so.

I find that fitbit trackers are pretty accurate for resting HR, but a little wonky for exercise HR.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

When your versa tells you you are really high, stop and do a manual heart rate count. It will mean keeping an eye on the versa while you exercise but it would be nice to know there isnt something weird happening with your heart or if there is you can get in touch with your doctor.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I agree that checking you HR rate to ensure its not high during your workout .However, if the versa is giving false information how is that corrected? The question was never addressed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner This happens to me, too. And it's not a problem with your heart. Don't let people scare you. I've had several different fitbit models with the HR monitor and they've all done the same thing. I'll run/ walk in intervals and I'll check near the end of a walk interval and Versa will report my HR at 200 bpm. After the next run interval, it will be 130. I just chalk it up to the fact that continuously monitoring HR with light on the wrist is not easy. And fitbit doesn't claim to be a medical device. And their trackers are buggy. So, clearly *I'm* the problem, because I keep buying them, so.

I find that fitbit trackers are pretty accurate for resting HR, but a little wonky for exercise HR.

Best Answer

Thanks. That is what I was thinking also. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this too, especially when weight training, I will see that it spiked at some point during the session at over 200, usually around 207 or 210 but the rest of the workout will be normal. I feel fine, very fit and active but it is concerning to look at the data for the session and see a dramatic spike to such a high level and even though I felt no adverse effect at the time, it makes you think is all okay!?! I assumed it was an issue with the Ionic, but I'm glad to read your response and see that others are having the same issue, so it's probably not something wrong with me! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this exact situation today, my workout summary showed that my BPM was between 130-150 during weight training and then towards the end of my workout it had jumped to 208 BPM.  My workout was normal and I felt great but it still made me pretty concerned, I have the Versa 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

My highest heart rate according to Fitbit: 204 BPM!!!

My memorized digits of pi: 3.14159265358979!!!!

just yeah both are true

I use versa 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did it turn out to be a technical issue with your watch? Or did you find it to be in early warning signal for your health?

Best Answer