Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no GPS on the Versa?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read that you need to get the special edition of versa for GPS?  Why the difference?  Why did they just not include it all in one watch?  Also -- what difference does no GPS make?  Just in logging your exercise paths?  

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

I definitely found that, like many products, my experience with them can vary quite a bit from reviews...professional or otherwise. AW and fitbit definitely track fitness/activity differently but they both certainly track them. I think Apple is ambiguous in showing the user how to use everything so it took me a little bit of use to learn all the stuff it was tracking. But having previously been someone who thought an Apple watch was a big fat waste of resources to now using one, I can say that it's worth it for folks to try one to see if they like it (walmart lets you return within 2 weeks no questions asked). I know that both fitbit and apple watches can go a long way toward helping folks stay active.

Personally I like the crown, it keeps grubby fingers off the screen much of the time. I agree that the second music control app on AW is redundant but it took me maybe two uses to figure it out. I wish I had more control over the native activity alerts with AW, I think the "stand up" alert is stupid. I use a standing desk at work...my watch doesn't know when I'm standing or sitting. I just use that alert as a "do something active" alert like I did with the hourly step alert on my fitbit.

I've never cared about having a pedometer and I never looked at the step counter when I had a fitbit CH2 but if someone does care about steps then there's a good chance an AW wouldn't be for them. I actually like the "breath" alert. When it goes off I can definitely tell I'd been just overly focused and shallow breathing though I'm not sure if it has sensed that through the pulse/activity monitoring. It's a nice reminder to take deep breaths and stretch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Garmin just launched the Vivoactive 3 Music for $300. It isn't as pretty as the Versa, but it's another option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi, I have a versa, but even when I am carrying my phone, it will not give and distances. the GPS is active on my phone. I also do not get text alerts or call alerts

Best Answer
0 Votes

To keep it small and slim. They could make it a bit larger and fatter to include gps module but then it would be a replacement to ionic. Since they wanted to make it slim and small to approach different market than ionic, didnt put gps antenna.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this sounds silly, but I can't figure out connected GPS. How do I do that? My location services is on, and I allowed it under the app.... but when I cycled the other day, It didn't pick up any mileage. I want to track my rides and runs, and I always have my phone with me, but apparently, I don't know how to use the connected GPS on my iphone 8. HAHA Thanks for any suggestions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not an industrial design expert but I don't believe adding a GPS antenna would significantly increase the dimensions of the Versa. I suspect the trade off was made to: (1) preserve Ionic sales; (2) to keep the price down; (3) not compromise the battery life of the Versa. I think the last point is debatable because it's only going to reduce the battery life while you're using GPS (and I don't think keen runners are going to mind charging it before/after a run).

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Ionic is a very manly looking device. I will not wear it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Ionic is not a nice looking watch.  Can't you please make a GPS watch that looks better on women (with smaller wrists).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi FitnessisFun

Try opening the Fitbit app on your phone. Click on the Versa icon (it's top left on my iPhone app) then scroll down and click on Exercise Shortcuts. Select Bike and make sure GPS is enabled.

If that looks okay. Make sure the app is running on your phone and on your Versa and in Exercise select Bike. It should say Connecting... then after a few seconds (or a minute!) say Connected. After that you're good to go.

Best Answer
0 Votes

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

gps module will need some space. So by face the device need to be larger. Also another factor is that gps module need lot of power to run so need to increase a bit the power/size of the batter so it will last 2-3 days. Can;t have the same battery as versa has and just add gps module. Your batery will finish before u complete a 2hrs running. If u add the gps module and the larger size of the battery needed to power this this results in a more bulky watch. Thats why all gps watches are lot bulkier than versa ... and will be like that in the near future.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why gps on in versa

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand your disappointment. Keep in mind a lot of the cool factor of the Versa is its looks.  And if it had GPS it would have to be a lot bulkier, instead of "slimmer than an Apple Watch".

Maybe they could come up with a compromise:  a watch where you can explicitly disable the onboard GPS to get good battery life, or activate the GPS and live with charging every night.  It'd still be bulkier but not as bulky as the ionic.

In any case, keep the faith:  I had never imagined Fitbit would ever pack so much in one Fitbit as in the Versa.  In time, they may indeed add GPS.  Notice it took Apple 5 years to finally add GPS, and for them it was battery issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took a chance on a Versa because the ad said GPS, which it doesn't have

FRankly Fitbit is a horrible company for lies

Best Answer

The ad doesn't say GPS, it says Connected GPS. This means you need to use a phone and this terminology has been used by Fitbit with other devices (Blaze, Charge 2, Charge). The Fitbit website clearly explain that is has connected GPS (with an indication you need to use your phone's GPS) in the main product page https://www.fitbit.com/versa and there is a specific article about difference between GPS and Connected GPS (https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1874).

I don't see any false advertisement or lie.

A personal suggestion: avoid to falsely accuse somebody of lies, you might found yourself in serious issues.

Best Answer

The Fitbit Versa does not give an accurate distance and you need your home so really it is an overpriced Fitbit no different to the lower end choices I have had mine 3 weeks and I am very disappointed 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly, after owning the Versa for 3 months I agree with you: it's overpriced and disappointing.

Not only does it lack GPS, the music feature doesn't work with my Airpods. So I'm really not sure what the point of this device is.

I'm going to see if they'll accept a return, or else just sell it on eBay and get the new Apple Watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Versa would be the perfect size and combination if it did have an onboard GPS.  I hate being loaded down with trackers.  I have my fitbit HR, my Garmin, and my cell phone and I am only an entry level runner.  I just want one unit to track everything need get started with complex interval running and have the safety and data the GPS provides

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree with you I decide to return my Fitbit Versa and purchase the Garmin 235 as the importance of the gps for my running is what I required I think Fitbit have certainly missed a marketing opportunity

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've decided to give up on Fitbit completely.  It doesn't sync with my phone (used to but now hasn't done so since 12.8.18) and I don't get any notifications on it either.  These were the 2 features I wanted most along with GPS.  I'm off to sell it on eBay and get Garmin instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes