Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi and Firmware issues on my Versa 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hallo everyone,

I've recently bought a Fitbit Versa 3 watch, which, in my opinion, after a couple of days extended usage is a good compromise between a price-affordable device and an advanced sport smartwatch; nevertheless, there are a couple of issues which I'd like to point at, and which I thinch should be absolutely solved in the next firmware releases.

1)  Saving a wifi network (WPA/WPA2) in the companion app doesn't have any outcome: after a couple of minutes the wifi disconnects again, and you have to write the password again to get connected. This is absolutely pointless, as the app normally should save all the network settings and stay connected unless the user doesn't specify to disconnect. Moreover, since the mobile phone is connected to the wifi and the applications are overall able to get the wifi settings and use those settings to connect (e.g. WearOS), I don't understeand why the Fitbit app is not able to do like this as well.

2) The wifi settings for each recognised network should be transferred and saved to the Versa 3 watch system settings: the watch doesn't have any setting to toggle the wifi and bluetooth on and off, which is something that could improve the battery life. This is also causing issues during the firmware update, since the companion app is continuously disconnecting from wifi. If this is done to save battery life, a simple switch to toggle the connection on-off would do the job much better.

3) I'we had troubles installing the firmware update, since the companion app showed an update failure (also due to disconnecting wifi), nevertheless the firmware looks apparently updated: my current version is 36.128.1.42. The companion app doesn't show any other update available, so could please somebody tell me if this is the latest one? I think I got the procedure to eventually force the device to a second update (disconnect from the fitbit account, restart phone and watch, reconnect the watch and reconfigure all from scratch) but I would like to point that it should be a specific responsability of developers and customer service, to grant a safe and straightforward update process of the device, especially during the first start and setup, since this is absolutely essential to have the device ready for use, and the average user has no idea what's going on, has no control on it, and has to wait 30 minutes only to get the message "Update failed - retry with wifi?", but wifi is not working; "Retry with bluetooth?" but bluetooth is not working as well.... so what???

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi there @FannySporty, welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for letting us know that you've been liking the Versa 3 after a couple of days of use. We appreciate the details shared in your post about the issues you've had with the Wi-Fi connection and firmware update on your Versa 3.

We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, please note that your Fitbit watch can connect to open, WEP, WPA personal, and WPA2 personal Wi-Fi networks. Your watch won’t connect to 5GHz, 802.11ac, WPA enterprise, or public Wi-Fi networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. If you see a captive portal when connecting to the Wi-Fi network on a computer, the network isn’t supported. 

If you have a hidden Wi-Fi network, it may not appear in the list of available networks under Wi-Fi Settings in the Fitbit app. First, make sure the network is compatible with your watch by reviewing the list of networks in How do I connect my Fitbit watch to Wi-Fi?. Then manually add the network in the Fitbit app.

Your watch can store up to 5 different Wi-Fi networks. It automatically connects to an available Wi-Fi network when plugged into the charger. If there are 2 or more Wi-Fi networks in range, choose the network your watch should connect to:

1. In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab > your profile picture > your watch tile.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi Settings. Wait a moment for the list of networks to appear.
  3. Tap the network name, then tap Connect

If you have trouble connecting your watch to Wi-Fi, review the troubleshooting steps in Why won't my Fitbit watch connect to Wi-Fi?

About the firmware update, for best results, remove other Fitbit watches and trackers (I case you have other Fitbits) from your phone's Bluetooth settings. Before you begin the firmware update, plug your watch into the charger. Make sure your watch is in range of your home or work Wi-Fi network during the update.

If your watch isn't sufficiently charged before starting the update, you may see a image on your screen or a low battery message in the Fitbit app. Wait until the battery is at least 50% charged to start the update and keep your watch plugged into the charger. To check the battery level, tap the screen or press any button while the watch is charging.

If you have trouble updating your watch over Wi-Fi, try these steps to resolve the problem.

1. Make sure your watch is connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to use.
  2. Move your watch closer to your router.
  3. Make sure your router is connected to the internet.
  4. Restart your watch. For instructions, see How do I restart my Fitbit device?
  5. Remove your watch from your Fitbit account. For instructions, see How do I remove a Fitbit device from my account?
  6. Remove your watch from the list of Bluetooth devices paired to your phone. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > find the watch in the list > find an option to forget the device.
  7. Reconnect your watch to your Fitbit account. For instructions, see How do I set up my Fitbit device?
  8. Try again to update your watch.

If the update fails, restart your phone and try again.

If you can't update your watch over Wi-Fi, follow the on-screen instructions in the Fitbit app to update your watch over Bluetooth instead. Note that firmware updates over Bluetooth may take significantly longer to complete.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hallo Marre, thanks for your reply.

Maybe I've been not clear enough: the issues about wifi are not about connecting.

My wifi is not hidden and it's fully compatible, and I can connect to it pretty well: the problem is thet it disconnects automatically after few minutes, and the app on the phone stores only the network name, not the password, so I have to rewrite the password over and over again to get connected for another couple of minutes.

That's why it would be useful to have a switch on the watch settings page, to be able to keep it connected when needed.

Moreover, the app on the mobile phone normally should read the wifi settings on the phone, select the network which is currently used by the phone itself, and automatically connect to it, and send the settings to the watch.

That's how a medium-level smartwatch normally works.

Then the settings are stored in the watch, and with a dedicated switch you can decide whether to connect it to the network or not.

That's my suggestion to improve the quality of the firmware, but if you don't want to follow it, you could simply improve at least the quality of the mobile app.

Regarding the update, actually I don't get any notifications of new available updates from the mobile app.

I know that the current firmware is the 36.128.1.42, so it would be useful to know if this is the latest one, or not.

If it's not the latest, than I could consider the option to retry another update using the procedure you kindly mentioned (which I'm absolutely aware of), otherwise I will wait untill I get an update notification from the mobile app.

Best regards and thank you again for your suggestions,

Fanny.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watches have always saved the WiFi credentials, I would expect the Versa 3, which runs the same OS to do likewise. 

Yes the Versa 3 does have control over the WiFi. Plug the Versa 3 into its powered up charger will turn on its WiFi. Unplug the Versa 3 from its charger will turn of WiFi. 

Yes the BT Low Energy dose not completely turn off, but does no into a inactive listening mode. I say inactive because it does not try to stay actively connected to the phone. 

This is why Fit bits get more than 1 day on a charge. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same like me.. Maybe i will throw this fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes