Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong distance and pace for runs.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have made sure when I select exercise then run that my Fitbit is connected to my phones GPS. I've noticed the routes I run with my versa 2 are all .25mi shorter and the pace is 3 minutes higher. I've tracked these routes with 3 other devices connected to the same phone all getting the same mileage. So I know my fitbit is wrong. I really like fitbit it is very user friendly is there anyway I can fix this?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Tribefan9692 The only advice I can give (as I do not work for Fitbit and have no insights into their inner-workings) is:

• compensate with the stride length even tho now it is correct
  • turn off gps
  • contact Customer Support and open a ticket. Here's the link to Customer Support page.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

@Jtc381 

Versa uses both gps (when on) and pedometry (steps) to estimate the distance travelled and thus pace as well. You can try:

• turning off GPS - especially if you see that the route is not being tracked properly as seen by long straight lines on the map in the fitbit app
  • improving GPS readings by improving Versa - phone bluetooth connectivity (if that's the issue here)
  • improving pedometry by adjusting your stride length

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have measured my stride length steps and running I checked all the settings for GPS and made sure my stride was measurements were correct. I clocked the distance with my car, walked with google maps, and with my strava app all got 1.5mi. My Fitbit is still giving me a higher pace and shorter distance. 2 other apps get and my car get the same distance but my Fitbit is different every time. Its disappointing spending this much money to have this issue. I wish there was a quick fix.

Screenshot_20200401-115239_Fitbit.jpg

Screenshot_20200401-115303_Strava.jpg

Best Answer

@Jtc381 What I find really weird is that the map recorded is exactly the same so it's not GPS per se. Which is not surprising as both Strava and Fitbit are pulling the same data from your mobile. Have you tried turning off GPS tracking on Fitbit just to see what happens? Also, I would try increasing the stride length for runs - i know it's not an optimal solution but this seems like a weird bug in which some of the distance recorded gets "eaten up". 😕

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the exact same problem now. Have had the fitbit versa 2 with minimal issues since December but now the connected gps is completely off. The route it shows is accurate but the distance calculation is a half mile off on 3 mile runs. 

Best Answer

@Tribefan9692 I would try adjusting running stride length to compensate... Unfortunately.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate the quick response and I'll give it a shot, but I don't consider that an acceptable solution and hopefully fitbit gets it fixed. I would have bought a different watch had I known I can accurately track a run.

Update: The stride length in my settings actually correlates correctly with steps and the actual distance I ran, but fitbit still has the wrong distance shown. So it has the correct stride lentlgth, number of steps, and route taken, but somehow the wrong distance. Unreal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tribefan9692 The only advice I can give (as I do not work for Fitbit and have no insights into their inner-workings) is:

• compensate with the stride length even tho now it is correct
  • turn off gps
  • contact Customer Support and open a ticket. Here's the link to Customer Support page.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer

I appreciate the help! I'll contact fitbit

Best Answer

Hi,

There has been an ongoing issue with the Versa and GPS accuracy for a while now (see this thread https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/Distance-on-GPS-map-doesn-t-match-with-exercise-s...)

Supposedly the Fitbit development team knows about the issue and is working on it but so far no fix.  Now that the Charge 4 is out with built-in GPS maybe they will be able to do something for the Versa, but who knows.

Best Answer

I have a Versa 1 and I've noticed this issue just recently. Something has changed in the App. I've had my Versa for better than a year and half and it tracked just fine until a couple months ago. The odd thing is, if I start the exercise on my watch the steps and mileage are correct. If I start the exercise from my phone app it is incorrect. It would appear that I am walking much faster and it is telling me I have covered a mile in roughly 3/4 of a mile.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been experiencing the exact same issue. I've contacted customer support and have had back and forth conversations that went nowhere. 

I've read so many threads reporting the same problem and tried all the suggestions (redownloading app, checking phone battery settings, resetting watch, etc), but I don't want to settle on using only pedometry to track my runs (what's the point of purchasing a watch with connected GPS?). I'm frustrated and at my wit's end... But following this thread with a little hope there may still be a fix. 

Best Answer

If you haven’t already, try starting your run on your watch and not on the app on your phone. I found this to be more accurate than using the app. Not sure why since the watch uses the geo-tracking from your phone to do it. But when I start it from my phone, you can see that it is not tracking correctly.

6EE1238D-F292-44FE-960F-4AB8139DE569.png

Best Answer
0 Votes