A Super-Durable Fitbit for First Responders

Hello Fitbit-ers and fitbit staff!

I adore my fitbit, and wear one 24/7. I am a firefighter, and my charge 2 has been my best friend. When I am wearing all my gear, my phone is in my pocket inside of my jeans, hidden under several layers of gear. Being able to see texts and calls has been a blessing, and the heart rate monitor has helped me keep track of my stress and keep myself calm and functional.

Unfortunately, my fitbits have a habit of breaking. I've had bands melt before (I've swapped to leather), I've had fitbits fail from getting soaked in sweat, and yesterday my charge 2 (bless it's soul) got whacked against the metal wall of the fire truck while I was sitting in a jump seat. Since then the screen has stopped working. It is still tracking everything, and it still syncs to my phone, but I can't see anything when I look at my wrist.

My idea is for a rugged fitbit that can take heavy hits and high temperatures. There are other companies that make heavy duty fitness trackers, but I want one that will work together with the fitbit app and all the other fitbit products I use.

I also happen to be an engineering student, so me and some of my fellow firefighter friends came up with a list of specific issues with the existing fitbits, when used by firefighters.

First off are the issues with the heat resistance of the materials. Watches are generally covered by our gloves and/or the sleeves of our jackets, but since it sits right at the connection, it occasionally gets exposed to direct flame. And when it does:

1. The plastic bands have a habit of melting. The plastic bands don't last very long at all in high heat, so I like using leather bands instead of the plastic ones it comes with.
  2. The aluminum (I am pretty sure the metal parts of the main unit are aluminum) gets very hot very fast. Thankfully the metal doesn't touch the skin directly very much.
  3. I've had a fitbit come loose and drop off my wrist directly into fire for a few seconds. The heartrate sensor fried almost instantly.

I wouldn't expect anyone to make the normal fitbits heat resistant. It's not really an issue for consumers in general, and I understand that I'm using fitbits well outside of the suggested usage parameters. But I would totally buy a single $400 military/firefighter grade fitbit rather than buying and busting dozens (hyperbole, I've only actually gone through 4-5) of the regular ones.

22 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing it @RBFD_Jacie. It would be interesting to see a durable device that can withstand very high temperatures or hash climate/environment. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

gtg947h
Strider

I was a firefighter for a few years and can definitely see the use of this.  Even now, my wife and I tend to bang our Versas up a lot and we go through screen protectors pretty regularly.  If one was available (and if Fitbit stops trying to break and take away functionality every time they make aesthetic changes to their software) I'd buy one.

Leeboy008
Jogger

I work as an engineer and I would like a fitbit that is more robust and suitable for a harsher environment. Most Fitbit are smart but only suitable to the office

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Leeboy008, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

pennytxco
First Steps

This! Loved my charge 2 (before I lost it) but it did take a beating on the fire ground. And now the Alta I'm using which my friend gifted me is failing any time I do any training with bunker gear on. Not sure if its the sweat or the heat, but it is just not keeping up. I like fitbit but now I'm in search for something that can step up to the plate. 

Firefighter740
First Steps

Hello everyone! I am a volunteer firefighter and I was wondering if y'all would be willing to make a Fitbit that is both heat and water-resistant. It would also need a band that is heat resistant and durable. Last night, I put my turnout gear on and in doing so, my band broke. I own the Alta HR which I really like because of the low profile, but it wastes time because I have to take it off before putting my gear on in order to preserve it. Many firefighters who wear fitbits are in need of a product like this because it is annoying to buy new bands and even new Fitbits due to the situations we are exposed to that have broke them. Thank you for your time!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Firefighter740! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

MWC90
First Steps

I love your products, I've had several of them including the first Fitbit, two of the first charge HRs, and now I have a charge to HR. It's coming up on time to replace my charge to HR but since I run obstacle course races I noticed that there isn't a more rugged option Fitbit in your product line. I really love the products and software from Fitbit, will you be working on a more rugged option for those of us who run obstacle course races like the Spartan race and tough mudder?

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @MWC90, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having a more rugged Fitbit device. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

RuggedBen
First Steps
I would like a more rugged styled device in which the face is better protected. The case should come above the face enough to protect the face from scuffing and scratched when doing outdoor activities such as mountain biking, hiking, climbing, etc. I would take design questions from a watch such as G-Shock, or even suggest a brand collaboration.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @RuggedBen, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see more rugged styled devices on Fitbit. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Slone98
First Steps

This is an awesome idea! My partner works in a kitchen all day and has gone through 3 Fitbits now. The dangers to the Fitbit are similar, ranging from the heat of the stove and the oven to water elements. She is constantly knocking it on things. Unfortunately, the protective covers don't provide enough protection.

Jeb315
First Steps

Love this idea! I have a small farm and work in a high activity warehouse. I have been replacing my fitbits every 9-13 months that last few years because the band brakes, screen goes out or some other tragedy. I hate having to wait for a replacement when it goes out.  Please consider a heavy duty version. 

opensourcepm
First Steps

I am not a fireman but spend a lot of time outdoors and in harsh environments.  I have had bands break and fitbits fail unexpectedly because of environmental that 'are not so bad'.  I think the comment above that FitBits are designed to be worn casually or in an office is absolutely true. 

For a case, I now use a 3rd Party's band SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro Series Design for Fitbit Inspire & Fitbit Inspire Hr and it is great but the device itself is now the weakest link. 

Would be happy to pay extra to have something that can survive more: water resistant, impact resistant, temp resistant (even if not flame proof).

Bulldog211976
First Steps

This is great idea! I have destroyed bands and am on my second Fitbit now due to harsh environments and abuse. I am a firefighter but also work outside all the time and need a Fitbit that I don't have to worry about. I know others who wont buy again until a product comes out that wont break as easily.

pennytxco
First Steps
I'm sorry, just get a Garmin Instinct or something similar. Just a little
bit more money but well worth it. I've had mine for the last 1.5 years and
it's been slammed, dragged, and exposed to the elements. Still works like I
pulled it out of the box with minor damages. Sorry fitbit, used to be a
loyal customer but don't think they are going to listen to this post
anytime soon.
Bulldog211976
First Steps
Thank you for the heads up. I will look in to it

Thank you,
Tony
Ann-MariePh
First Steps

100% agree with this! My husband is a mechanic and would love a Fitbit, but he is reluctant to buy one given the nature of his job. 

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

It would certainly be useful for many users in many different professions, @Ann-MariePh! It would be interesting to have a Super-Durable device. 😁

GMW57
Jogger

I am a 5'1" female and go through each fitbit within 2 years. I don't do physical work so I'm not rough with them but they don't last. I do wear them all the time except while sleeping. I do gardening and work out at a gym, so they can get dusty, dirty and sweaty.

It would be nice if it was easy to switch from wearing one on your wrist to wearing it in a holder connected to your bra or pocket. I know the early models came with that type of holder but it wasn't easy to switch from wearing it on the wrist to the holder.

Any suggestion on the best model to purchase so it will last more than 2 years would be appreciated.

• I would also buy a more durable and waterproof fitbit . I'm an outdoorsy person who does almost everything out of doors . From mushroom hunting , to hiking , to camping , to fishing , to hunting and kayaking.... In the summer you sweat a ton . You have bug spray , and you can get caught in the rain . The same with the other outdoor sports . 

Then you just wanna come home , shower and pass out . I have often forgotten to take my fitbit off before getting into the shower also .

So ... Yes ! Please make a more robust and more hardy fitbit for those of us who more easily distroy and are harder on our activewear jewelry PLEASE !!!!!

Keenan_L
First Steps

As a Merchant Marine, a Fitbit that could stand up to a harsher environment would be great. I really hope you guys have something in the pipelines for one. Looking forward to seeing it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.