Ability To Edit Manually Logged Exercise Type

I'm not sure what has changed, but it seems that I am no longer able to Edit Activities.  This seems like a huge inconvenience.  Sometimes having to enter actvities can be annoying, but it's helpful to have that feature.  What is annoying is that if I make a mistake, I am unable to correct it without having to delete and restart.  I bought this Fitbit to make tracking my exercise easier, not more difficult.  I am trying to find reasons to continue using it, but making tracking harder is not helping.  Please fix!  Thanks so much!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

1,051 Comments
RedPlanet
Base Runner
Editing is essential. But if you just want to customize the name, you can
create the exercise in MyFitnessPal and sync with the Charge HR. Choose a
short duration for the new exercise on MyFitnessPal, or estimate the actual
steps and duration etc by using the graphs on Fitbit web or app. Then sync
with the Fitbit, assuming you set it up to sync with MyFitnessPal. The new
exercise will show up in Fitbit and you can select the custom named
exercise for activities that you have timed.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Or add information to an existing activity name.  

This has been brought up many times.  Along with a notes section for the same reasons.  

Does anybody know how they review these suggestions?  I never see any answers or indication that they are even seeing them.

rchamp77
Recovery Runner

yes, an edit feature would be great.  i have already needed it.  recorded exercise as tennis instead of elliptical.

Also the ability to add exercises and that they be based on calories for that exercise.  for instance, does ellictical vs tennis actually result in a different calorie calculation?  And is the calculation based on my age, weight and heart rate or is it generic.

Khayman
Base Runner
I really need to be able to edit an activity trough the fitbit app instead of being forced to do it on the computer.
timm525
Jogger

As a new owner of the surge, I was surprised to find that you can't edit you exercises. That is very disapointing. 

Also wish the app for ipad would allow it to rotate from portrate to landscape. I hate looking at the ipad in the keyboard case sideways.

RadTech
Jogger

I agree, the fact that fitbit allows you to edit the workout in the beginning but then takes it away once you have, seems silly. Especially those of us who may have accidentally chosen the wrong activity from our list, and therefore are stuck with the wrong title/categorization. This would be an easy fix for fitbit to implement, hopefully soon. 

ksquared
Jogger

I'm not sure if anyone else shares this preference, but I don't do calories -- I have no weight issues so they are completely irrelevant to me.  The activities log will not let me enter activities (I am interested in keeping track of how active I am) without an estimated calorie count.  Besides being irritating, it is limiting the usefulness of my activity tracker.   For example, this winter I spent a lot of time shoveling snow and wanted to enter it in my activity log.  It was annoying that I couldn't enter the time spent in strenuous activity without estimating a calorie count, so that looking over the weeks, the days spent watching movies were listed as the same activity level as the days spent shoveling.  I used to be able to enter some activities by estimating exhertion level and amount of time spent but this seems to have been changed.  Is there any way to get this back and get rid of calorie counts for me?

SCGD
Jogger

Anoter +1 as I need this too. I don't usually forget to stop/start the exercise tracking, but it does happen - especially if you're in a hurry to get showered and out after a workout has run over or you're running late.

This used to be possible but was removed by Fitbit after a bug October last year and "our team is planning to restore to the site." That last update was December.

community.fitbit.com/Can-no-longer-edit-activity-records

C'mon - we all forget to stop/start tracking exercise at some point, and the manual workaround is lame in comparison with tracked efforts. You used to have this functionality, and people really want it back.

timm525
Jogger

Fitbit, please add full editing of all exercises to the app. This is very frustrating!

I've had my surge for one week now. I like it a lot but there is definitely room for improvement.

Please fix.

smcarlson
Keeping Pace

I agree.  After recording activity/exercise on my Fitbit Charge HR, I go into the app to choose exercise/activity type (e.g. Walk, Hike, etc.).  Sometimes my finger taps Hike instead of Walk, then I'm stuck with the activity as a Hike, not a Walk as I intended.  Please add the ability to edit the activity using either the Fitbit smartphone app, and/or the Fitbit website.

Andybtsn
Recovery Runner

Please see the discussion I created here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/How-to-edit-Activities-category/m-p/781669/highlight/false...

I think it's really bizarre you can't edit whatever you want activity wise, for example I could categorise an activity by accident and it's impossible to edit it which is extremely silly.

Can this be reviewed as I know it would put off a lot of my friends buy this band and wearing for football.

MattHarbor
First Steps

It's crazy that there is no option to change the type of workout. The screen is so sensitive, I seriously thought I was on an eliptical workout, but it was registering as weights. I wish I could adjust this.

MarandoPSU
Base Runner

Me too! Annoying to have to do it from the website. It is on iOS.. port it over!

bracerup
Jogger

Ok, this is a long post.  I have included the comment trail from a moderator.  I would love the ability to customize the information describing the activity that was tracked using the manual start and end of exercise session.  I use a chest strap on machines and would like to enter miles and calories burned from the machine at the gym.

Moderator Edit: Removed user and moderator quotes and edited format.

bbv
Jogger

I would love this! It isn't good UX to allow users to edit activity names only once. Users should be able to have the option to edit activity names as many times they want. 

abunnygoesmoo
Jogger

Adding the ability to edit an activity has been "under construction" for 6 months.  Is there any update on the status of this? It is very frustrating and I have started to use a different tracker to record my runs because I dont want to bother trying to remember my start and stop times so I can enter it later.

Thank you

drisnerd
First Steps

Still waiting for you to bring back the edit feature...

mockduck
Recovery Runner

I agree - the gps is sometimes off, so for example today, it has registered that I ran 7.42 km (in my usual time for 5km! ha) when I ran just 5km.

I'm trying to hit a total annual run distance, so not being able to edit erroneous information like this really skews my figures. I'm actually quite surprised/disappointed it's not already an option.

BorisSl
Recovery Runner

Not sure if my scenario was covered before, but I sometimes use activity feature just as stopwatch - starting before jumpting to swimming pool and stopping after getting out. My One did treated it as Sleep session, not sure about new Charge HR. But anyway - I can switch the record to Activity, but cannot make it Swimming, and cannot add distanse. Just create one more manually, and kill original.

Another scenario is using tracker as Timer and writing track by other Phone App - like Runtastic, for activity not yet supported by Fitbit app, like Bike, Skating, or Skiing (well, I am lazy and prefer Ride, not Run). I cannot neither set activity type - it is just Activity - not anything specific, nor import GPS track - once again, kill original record and create one manually.

tlfuller
Jogger

If there is a "me too" option, I would like to click it.  I swear I was in the spinning screen but it got logged under weights and I can't seem to change it on the app or the dashboard.  I'm not sure if the FitBit uses different algorithms for each activity to calculate calories burned, if so, then we definitely, need to have that changed!

steph_yyz
First Steps
I accidentially chose the wrong exercise category in the app after tracking an exercise from my Charge HR. I would like the ability to edit it so I can fix it.
Achilles75
Keeping Pace

So this thread/idea was first posted in November, 2014.  Things don't move too quickly in FitBit land.  This is a pretty significant feature and shortcoming.  Can we get something other than "under consideration" status yet?  I think I might need to investigate another product/platform if things are this glacially slow to improve.  From a programming/app perspective, this is not a particularly difficult code to fix.  Why is it taking so long?  Even if you took several weeks to beta test a change, it could have been accomplished months ago.    

MariaKFrazer
Recovery Runner

I just asked for the same thing. I run set distances and even though my stride lenght is correct the longer the distance the bigger the discrepancy. So I would like to just edit the distance instead of creating a new activity. I don't delete the old one, just leave it for reference. But I have found after I create the new one the actual distance on the automatically logged one changes to be very close to my actual distance.  I have even screen shoted the data to prove it changes. Fingers crossed we get this improvement.

Sheraff
Recovery Runner

I don't know if this was mentionned already, but I we had the ability to edit our workouts based on data we know to be true (like distance ran on a treadmill), the fitbit ecosystem would be able to learn more about us (in this example, it'd result in a more precise stride length). And really, that would be awesome to me!

It's kind of frustrating to see the logs show 8.5km when I actually ran 12km... Calories count look good though (from the heart rate I'm guesing) 🙂

KirstenG
Jogger

I'd love to be able to edit the length of my workout. Sometimes I forgot to end the workout right away on my ChargeHR and end up with several minutes of non-active time at the end of the workout. I'd like to be able to edit the workout to make the end time shorter and for that to automatically update the total workout steps taken within that new, shorter time frame as well as automatically adjust the average heart rate during the total workout time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.