Ability to add distance and pace on elliptical and stationary bike

When you manually add a stationary bike or elliptical exercise it does not allow you to add your distance or pace.  It is not possible for the calorie burner data to be correct if the pace or distance is unknown. 

When using track exercise on the charge HR, I can categorize my workout, but again for the above and treadmill it doesn't allow the distance or pace to be logged. 

I woukdluke to see this as an update to the app as it doesn't show a true picture of calories burned based on my heart rate without the pace/distance. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

8 Comments
Tmturnbow
First Steps

And the ability to track actual strides on an elliptical would be FANTASTIC!  The only other suggestion related to this would be the ability to edit a workout using a pre-programmed exercise (like elliptical) including strides, pace, & distance.

billvert
First Steps

On the elliptical tracking calories burned is a function of pace AND resistance.  Often the resistance has a pattern to it... 2:1 or 1:1.  It seems impractical; that the app can anticipate all the ways people do the elliptical.  I do think that most people have a default set up, for me it's 1:1 with level 15 one interval and level 20 the other.  What would be useful then is to provide a calibration for that users routine.  fitbit thought I spent 120 calories, but the elliptical which had time/resistace/intervals/my weight and my age information had my calorie burn at 670 calories.  So if I tell the fitbit or the app this it should be able to interpolate what I'm really bruning assuming I set up the elliptical the same way.

Just an idea...

Tmturnbow
First Steps
Right... but I also want the ability to record strides.
Lifechild49
First Steps

I agree that it would be nice to have it accurately record the strides/distance. It only counts about one  third of the distance when I use my elliptical. Since it has a separate setting it seems as though you should have the ability to increase the sensitivity for that setting.

Vancam
Stepping Up

I have a set of stationary bike pedals tucked under my desk at work. I regularly log 10-15 miles (per the equipment odometer) of easy paced movement on the "bike" throughout each (~8 hour) work day. I think of it as similar to logging steps per day and not like going for a 30 minute bike ride. I'd  like to be able to log these miles pedaled each day, but when I try to do that, the Fitbit service assumes I'm logging a 30 - 60 minute focused workout. When I do set the duration to several hours, it calculates calorie burn as if I'm doing a focused marathon bike ride.

Please add the ability to track all-day distance-based activities other than just steps. 

BGibson61
First Steps

I've also noticed that when I do an elliptical workout on my Charge 2 it only counts about half the distance.  It seems to count the steps correctly, but the distance is off.  It is a known distance because the elliptical program I'm doing on the equipment itself is a set distance.  I was wondering if this issue is because my elliptical is a rear-drive model instead of the front-drive model depicted on the elliptical graphic Fitbit uses?  With the rear-drive model, I get to take full length strides just as if I was actually running.  I don't like the front-drive machines because they have short, choppy steps almost like a stair stepper.  That being said and if my assumption is correct, is there a way to edit the elliptical workout parameters on my Charge 2 to account for the full stride?  Hope that made sense. Thanks.

sallyknope
Jogger

It seems crazy to me that fitbit doesn't allow manual logging of workout equipment readouts..... No detecting even required. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kellie810, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. Please note that the calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.