Ability to change goals per day, without changing all past days.

We should be able to change our goals without changing all of our past goals.
For example, on holiday break I was happy to lower my goal to 5,000 steps. Or converter, some days I want to do more and want to up my goal to 15,000 or even 20,000...but then It changes all the past days.

Moderator edit: added labels

537 Comments
Mange_J
Base Runner

This need to be implemented asap. The fact that it isn't from the birth of fitbit is mind blowing!

Kj75
First Steps

Yes! I've been saying this for ages and have only just discovered this forum! Three years later and they've still not taken it onboard... we can but hope!!

Jat27
Jogger

Yes please allow a feature to change future goals only without effecting past goals or achievements. 

cl2k4
First Steps

I want this too!!!!  I am recovering from a surgery and really need to get up and moving, but if I do too much too fast I have to take a few days off.  I wish I can change it up, 500 steps bedrest day, 2-3000 for active recovery days.

elakat
Jogger

I'm also disappointed this hasn't been implemented yet. I'm planning to slowly increase my number of steps over time, but as it currently stands this will retroactively overwrite days when I met my old goals but not my new one, making it look as if I never met the goals in the first place.

Kims78
First Steps

I would like to be able to set a different target step goal/activity goal for each day. I work 12hr shifts so on those days I just about get 8-10000 steps but my days off I am 15-20000 steps it would be great to be able to set goals to reflect this!

gigglebyte66
First Steps

This would be so awesome! I try to interval run/walk 4-5 days a week, and since changing your goals makes the previous day look like you “failed”, it’s a bummer to HAVE to “fail” on those “rest” days, so, either way it just feels so disappointing(even if we know we want say 7500 step goal on “rest days” and 15,000 on the other days...if you have 15,000 set and only do your ACTUAL goal of 7500, it’s going to show on Your Fitbit that you didn’t reach that darn 15,000). Would love it if we could enter a daily goal! Like say we want 15,000 pm Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri, but only 7500 on Wed/Sat/Sun. That would be an ideal update!

Tujo
First Steps

It would be amazing and useful to be able to set a goal (i.e. losing weight) with a starting point in the past; I set a goal 3 months ago, I updated it yesterday and now I lost all the statistics of my journey from the beginning....

So so we should be able to set a goal (lose 10kg) staring on a date in the past and instantaneously see the progress from that starting point. 

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

BrianHoover
Recovery Runner

As I hit fitness goals with the help of my Blaze, I would love to set new goals without those changes affecting my previous goals achieved. Right now, it looks like I have a ton of unachieved goals because I set new, higher ones.

BrianHoover
Recovery Runner

Sadly, I don't see it changing soon since I just realized this post is nearly 4yrs old.

Please, Fitbit. Help us out.

catstaffAngela
First Steps

When I got my Fitbit I wore it for a week to establish my standard baseline. As I have been wearing it, I have been slowly increasing my goals. I was ecstatic to be improving in the first few months. Then I was crushed to discover that every time I increase a goal, I increase the number of past days that I did not meet my goals.

Please fix this so that people aren't punished and discouraged by doing better.

catstaffAngela
First Steps

I would like to add my voice to support the change that when you establish a new goal, that it does not effect previous dates.

When I got my Fitbit I wore it for a week to establish my standard baseline. As I have been wearing it, I have been slowly increasing my goals. I was ecstatic to be improving already in the first few months. Then I was crushed to discover that every time I increase a goal, I increase the number of past days that I did not meet my goals.

Please fix this so that people aren't punished and discouraged by doing better.

Dinman127263
Recovery Runner
Wouldn’t it be nice if they at least addressed the concern?
Alec42
Jogger

I support this!!! Please do it FitBit

QuentinR
Jogger

Okay, so I was walking today and I'm about 17,000 steps short of my weekly goal.. but I wanted to change my step goal but it would affect all my other step goals. What I would suggest is a temporary step goal so maybe we wouldn't have to change the main step goal.. Sorta like, the regular 10k steps would be the main goal, but say you wanted to have 30k steps as a temporary goal.

That's what I wanted to suggest to you guys. Thanks.

Phauksee
Jogger

I increase my goal after two weeks of consistently making my goal every day.  Then, when I look back at my history, I have very few days that show that I've made my goal.  It would be great if it could show (in a different colour, yellow instead of green?) that I made my goal as it was set on that day, even if that goal is less than my current goal.

Jamielynnxo
First Steps

We used to actually be able to change our activity times and set different times daily for the hours we will be active. Not sure when Fitbit decided to change this because I used to do it ALL THE TIME but it would be GREAT if they would fix it and allow us to do it. 

LinkeLoutje
Runner

In my opinion this is basic stuff. As a database developer all my clients expect this functionality to measure their performance according to budget. They don't even ask, and shouldn't have to.

I notice the suggestion was made 3 years ago. This is painful. 

j8cruzen
First Steps
I agree. This should be a very basic function. And obviously one that a
lot of people want. I don't know why Fitbit refuses to fix this minor
issue and make so many users happy customers. I guess they really don't
care if we're satisfied customers.
itsmewa
Base Runner

I recently changed a couple of goals on my Charge 2. I was disappointed when upping my hour activity to 14 hours, that all the months previous to my changed. I also changed my food plan to lose weight. I set the start date as February 5. So, I was surprised when reviewing my previous month that most all days showed my calorie count way over. I like to check my progress through the year. It is hard to see when I adjusted and made changes, if all my previous data is updated to the new goal. I know that in the food plan you have the option of setting the start date and weight. Perhaps, an option that you can click to update all previous data, or keep the data results under the goal that was in effect at the time.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I am on an intermittent fasting program that requires alternate day fasting (or quasi-fasting) and would like to be able to set a different calorie goal for each day of the week. The eat-the-same-calories-every-day tracking isn't as flexible as I'd like. I would love to be able to se a calorie goal of 500 cals one day, 1500 the next, 500 after that, and so on. Thanks for considering.

Rawn13
Recovery Runner

I'm new to the app and was wondering if it is possible to have it as a useful feature - to show how far u have come- that when u increase your step goals, activity goals, water goals etc that it doesn't clear what u had done in the past. So say I started with 5000 step goal n 10 min activity, if I up it to 8000 step goal n 20 min activity it takes it up but u lose the 'achieved ' goals. I think it'd be nice to look back in a year n say wow that's where I started n this is how much I have achieved! At the moment it clears your achieved stars

j8cruzen
First Steps
Sent from my iPhone
Marelco
Base Runner

The fact that this is only "Under Consideration" after people have been clamoring for this change for over three years kind of boggles the mind.  Also, that previous days goals change when a new goal is set, to me makes NO sense whatsoever.  NO ONE can go into the past and UN-EAT food (or eat more).  NO ONE can go into the past and run around more to get more steps.  Why this wasn't set up from the very first day that FitBits started completely confuses me.  To me, it's only plain old simple logic that we don't have time travel, and cannot change the past.  So why do our past goals/achievements change when we set a new goal?  Every new goal set should ONLY work from the moment it's set--FORWARD, not BACKWARDS.  This should be an easy fix, and I don't know why this hasn't been addressed and taken care of after all this time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.