Ability to change goals per day, without changing all past days.

We should be able to change our goals without changing all of our past goals.
For example, on holiday break I was happy to lower my goal to 5,000 steps. Or converter, some days I want to do more and want to up my goal to 15,000 or even 20,000...but then It changes all the past days.

Moderator edit: added labels

537 Comments
VickiC13
Jogger

please can you add it so that a change in goals does not affect the previous entries. 

For example. I exceed my goal yesterday but increased my goal for today and it now looks like I didn't meet my goal yesterday.

Would also help track how often I'm changing goals and increasing/decreasing my goal

dordale
Recovery Runner

I voted for this quite a while ago-- wish I could vote for it again!  I would really like to see something implemented.  My daily step goal is 10K steps, and I've hit that every day for over a year now.  I'd like to increase my goal, but if I do, it changes what I've done in the past.  I really don't want to lose some of the "green stars" over the past year just because I increased my goal for the future!  The way it is now, it seems like it's counter to what the fitbit should be used for--which is steadily increasing one's activity/fitness goals as one becomes more fit--and being able to see the progression of this!

SusanNJ
First Steps
Sadly, there ought to a note inside every new fitbit saying something like " we want you to keep improving, but we'll bust your bubble and make you feel like a failure who hasn't achieved anything as soon as you change to a higher goal."
I wrote in about this two years ago, and I'm sure I wasn't the first one to complain. Since then so many people have said the same thing.
It's annoying and upsetting, but I try to look at the big picture - I'm improving my health and achieving higher goals regardless of what some chart says.

Sent from my iPhone

My husband and I were just talking about this? You have both our votes on this.

My husband and I were just talking about this. LOL then I come in here and we are not the only ones thinking this. GREAT MINDS. I hope they come up with a idea on this for Charger 2.

gigglebyte66
First Steps
Anyone want to buy an Ionic(brand new replacement still in the package). I
finally gave up on fitbit
LadyRogue02
First Steps

I would like to be able to change my steps per hour that are set up to 14 hours every day so you can set it manually day to day. My work schedule changes hours from day to day and that’s where I get most of my steps in. I could work 12pm-8pm then the next day work 7am-3pm. Not everybody works the same hours every work day. 

JLMD
Recovery Runner

It’s been over 4 years since this suggestion and it still hasn’t been implemented.  This is a necessary change for so many reasons.

TheMothHour
First Steps

@JLMD, at least the status changed to Under Consideration! 😄 

MCヅ
Jogger

I agree.

I don't even bother changing the goals anymore, because it effects all past and future days. Each day I have different goals though.

PJC7
Jogger

I have been increasing my step goal each week trying to build back up after a health setback. When I've met my goal each day I'm excited and look forward to increasing the goal. But after I change the goal if I click back in the app it applies that goal to the past weeks so now it looks like I didn't make my goal even though I did as it was set at the time. I wish that increasing (or decreasing) the goal only impacted how things show on the dashboard moving forward.

purpleface
Keeping Pace

I've just changed my step goal and it's showing I didn't reach my goal for the past few months! I find this disappointing and hope it'll be a feature soon.

Mali101
Recovery Runner

Please add this. I'd also like to be able to change my calories burned goal for each day of the week. 

5arahr
Tempo Runner

I don't think this will ever an option. It's been years of requests with no reply.

Mali101
Recovery Runner

Yep they never ever listen to what their costumers want

ARodFlores
First Steps

I have worked hard to achieve my goal of 5 miles a day.  I would like to increase my goal to 5.5 miles a day.  If I update my goal, my previous 6 weeks of achieving 5 miles a day will not meet my updated goal and therefore be unachieved based on the updated goal.  Is there a way of keeping a goal that has been achieved as is.  

nhlisa
Runner

I would also like to be able to change my goals and not loose out on the ones I previously met.  Not so much for miles because due to physical issues I'm not very active.  Eventually I will increase my steps and will then loose all the ones had met the previous goal.  Same with the water goal.

Lisa

tnhawkins
First Steps

Exactly! I need a daily step goal that I can set manually for each day of the week, instead of having to go in each day and change it, which then changes it for past and future days. Very frustrating as I work in an office and don't have the capability to walk as many steps during the week as I do on the weekends. Please rush this!

Fittrain
Stepping Up

I think it would be very useful if people were able to adjust their goals as their fitness improves without this changing past data. If I met my old goal on the past, I would like Fitbit to show this accomplishment, while still holding me to my new goal now. It would also be useful to see what all previous goals were and when they were changed to help map improvements.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

Lynnanine
Base Runner

Agreed! Keeping the historical data that you met your previously lower goal helps keep us motivated. I've been working on increasing my step count and meeting my goals each day. Yesterday I raised it and it was disappointing to see all the stars disappear because it looks like I no longer met my goal. I know I met my goal for that day, but it's discouraging to see when you're looking at growth.

SusanNJ
First Steps
Lynnanine, sorry to break the news to you, but you're beating a dead horse… I complained about this years ago and it was old news then. People have been **ahem**ing and moaning with the same exact issue and as much is I love my fit bit, they don't seem to want to change that aspect of the device.
Bottom line, be happy that your fitness levels are improving and you're accomplishing more. Soak in that satisfaction!

Sent from my iPhone
arieljasmine
First Steps

The Fitbit app should have the ability to show the user's total weight loss, rather than weight loss since the last goal change. Even if I change my weight loss goal, I still want the ability to see the progress I've made as a whole. This would make sticking to a diet and exercise routine far easier; where I know that I have lost almost 20 pounds, the fact that my app only displays 3.3 pounds lost is discouraging.

KGadway
Stepping Up

I would love to have the option when changing a goal, to only implement moving forward. I understand that some people may like that when they change their goal it shows how many days in the past they met this new goal, however, I have been building up my goal steps and for about a month or so now I have been pretty consistent with meeting my goal of 7500 steps a day. Due to this consistency I decided to change to 10k steps a day. Once I did this it no longer shows that I successfully hit my goals prior as they are all adjusted to reflect the new goal. (This is a bummer as I strive for those Bright Green stars and fireworks 🙂 

AvyGyaru
Base Runner

I think a lot of people start with lower step/floor/etc goals and increase them over time. That's awesome but problematic code-wise.

The problem in my case is that after my knee injury, I dropped my goal to 5,000 steps and then 8,500; 5 floors and then 10, etc.

Despite usually meeting or exceeding the old goal, it now looks like I've never hit my goal -- because the new high goal is showing up for past entries. So when trying to look at my progress over time, it's completely inaccurate. 

AvyGyaru
Base Runner

Is there any update? I posted a similar suggestion a few hours ago and now it's part of this 4 year old post. So is this actually being worked on or is it still just a maybe?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.