Ability to customize calorie deficit

hey guys,

I love my fitbit flex but the thing that is missing for me is a custom calorie deficit setting. You can set it to --250, -500, -750 and -1000

Well I have a thyroidism disorder which makes it impossible to lose weight with these settings, I have to manually count -1500 by myself and I wish I could input it and so I could use the "below, in the zone, over" feature as intended.

That or to set up a "slow metabolism" which makes the calories burnt formula adjust lower.

I know the number written for me even when not doing anything is just incredibly too high.

Please make this a thing soon ❤️

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and labels

41 Comments
mama2em
Recovery Runner
Yes, please! For a few weeks now I’ve been manually calculating every day to reach a 100-calorie deficit, but it’s such a pain, and it seems like it shouldn’t be that difficult for Fitbit to implement.

The set-your-own-total-calorie goal is fairly useless as calories “allowed” on any given day to reach a goal or maintain weight are very dependent on that day’s activity level, which varies rather a lot for the average person.

Sent from my iPhone
Nevyn
Jogger

Hi,

The food tracking view in the ios app has a weekly average number. I had to talk to tech support on Twitter to find out that figure was the average number of calories burned vs calories fitbit calculated I would burn. A positive number meaning I was over the calculation, a negative under. This figure is absolutely useless to me.

What is meaningful to be at a glance on the view would be the average caloric deficit or surplus for the week....or even a total. Something that would give me an idea of how effective my diet/exercise is at producing a calorie deficit.

Thanks!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Nevyn ! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Nevyn
Jogger

Hi @YojanaFitbit , 

I don't think my post relates at all to the one you linked. I guess that they both mention calories, but the OP wants to set their own custom calorie deficit...not see the average deficit that you achieved. And mine also recommends the replacement of another feature.

Can you please let it stand on its own or link it to another pre existing query (and I did look before I posted...but I very probably missed something) that actually requests at least something similar to what I am asking for?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Nevyn thanks for letting me know this information. Do you think this option it's best for your request?

I'll be around. 

Nevyn
Jogger

Hi @YojanaFitbit ,

Thanks for taking another look at it! This one is closer but the OP suggested removing the daily number of calories left to consume, which is based on the pretty nifty calculation and replacing that with a deficit or surplus figure...which again is different to my suggestion of having a weekly deficit/surplus average. I actually disagree with the OP here.

Are you under orders to reduce the number of suggestions that come in? Could you please just let my suggestion stand on its lonesome?

Nevyn
Jogger

Hi @YojanaFitbit,

I'm super disappointed that my idea will never get a fair go thanks to you. You are a terrible moderator and have destroyed any interest I have in ever putting forward a other idea.

Go take a leap!

joeyjj
First Steps
The Last reply was a little strong, but please don’t drop this idea yet
Fitbit.

A targeted custom calorie deficit (or surplus) is the idea I had and found
this thread when I went to post the same idea myself.

I currently copy into/out of MyFitnessPal for this exact reason.
--
Joseph J. Stead
joseph.j.stead@gmail.com
Vondieamen
Recovery Runner

Agree with what others have said.  I've gotten to my weight loss goal, so I tried removing the calorie deficit so that it was at 0, but then I started gaining some of the weight back.  Setting it back to the lowest 250 deficit, I started losing weight again, which I didn't really want.

I've love to be able to set a custom deficit of like 100, which is where I believe I would level out at to maintain current weight.

Setting "custom calories" doesn't work for me, some days I exercise enough to eat 2500 calories, other days I'm in meetings all day and 1300 calories is too much. 

Setting a custom calories doesn't account for ranges like that, which is why I'd love to be able to set a custom deficit instead, so that it changes with my daily activity level.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

jim.carreer
First Steps
Allow users to enter a static % or integer value that is automatically added or subtracted from the calories burned estimation. If the value causes the estimation to go negative it should be set to 0.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jim.carreer, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to allow users to manual adjustment for calorie estimation on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. You might be also interested in this other suggestion: Reinclude Calories Remaining. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

leshy
First Steps
Instead of just 3 options for the calorie deficit plans, I suggest adding more options or even an option to type in your own calorie deficit amount. For instance, instead of just -750 and -500, I would like to see maybe a -650. Thanks!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @leshy thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to customize calorie deficit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. I hope to see you around

DJayne
Base Runner
Please add the ability to set a custom calorie deficit.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @DJayne. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to customize the calorie deficit with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.