Ability to delete old data on Fitbit

I would love to be able to delete old data on my account, from a period of time that I was without a Fitbit. I have at least 6 months of time with 0 steps/sleep because I didn't have a functioning Fitbit. It would be nice to be able to reset that without losing my account -- since I didn't think about this until 6 months after getting my new Fitbit. I don't want to lose the current data, but this long stretch with 0 steps is screwing up averages I feel.  

Looking through other posts, it seems I'm not the only one that wants to be able to delete data without resetting/starting over with a new account. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

59 Comments
Deerhlow
First Steps

I have 2 years of data on my Iphone.  I would like to be able to delete months at a time from the various items that are tracked, eg tracked exercise, sleep, in fact the entire dashboard.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

If I'm correct your not asking tp temove your zero step count from days, bit to remove these days from the daily averahe.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The two years of data is not on your phone buy is stored on the Fitbit server. 

Your phone simply calls up the data you ask for. 

Deerhlow
First Steps

Thank you for the information.  I like that it is not on my phone, but still would like to be able to delete a range of data.  I am not interested in information from month much less 2 years ago.

Tayshaaa
First Steps

I would love for there to be a way to reset my account, so delete all the data that my Fitbit has aquired so I can start fresh. I spent the first few months testing it out and playing around with it, and I’d like to reset my account so I can use it properly now I’ve figured out how to work it.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

You might want to add your vote to the existing request to delete a range of data based on days

I can not find a request for the ability to delete an account. Feel free to add this. 

Please remember only one suggestion request per thread. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hello, 

The other day I wanted to make a fresh start with my data. I found there was no way to mass edit (delete) my own data via the dashboard. I would love to see this feature in the dashboard. 

I could imagine there are more people who would want to select chunks of data and delete it. For example by year, month of even week. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Are you asking for the ability to delete data or account https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Resetting-data-or-deleting-accounts/idi-p/237245...hich has already been suggested.. 

If you really want to start over there are two opyions

Create a new account, you can change your current Fitbit email or use a different email. 

Contact Fitbit and have them delete your account. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

If you really want to start over there are two opyions

Create a new account, you can change your current Fitbit email or use a different email. 

Contact Fitbit and have them delete your account. 

In my view those aren't realistic options. A lot of effort for what should be a simple and supported action. 

ash.ley
First Steps

I want to start over with my Fitbit app. I want to clear all the past food log entries I’ve entered. But there doesn’t seem to be a way to reset or clear the past data. Other than going through one by one and deleting every individual food entry. Which is way too tedious. I think an option to reset the app to start fresh would be great! 

IowaPower
First Steps

Greetings! I bought a Surge back in 2016, but only used the device/iOS app for a few months before putting it away for a couple years. Now I’m getting back into the swing of things and have been using Fitbit again for the last month. My problem is I want a “Fresh Start” with my logs, trophies and any other data that’s been stored BEFORE a particular date WITHOUT losing the data AFTER that particular date. I have made great stride this past month and want to keep those logs as a motivator to keep pushing forward. I don’t want to have to delete and restart my entire account over again. I would be tempted to abandon Fitbit if there is a better product out there. I’d rather stick with Fitbit if I’m able to save my recent data while purging the old data (including trophies and achievements). Has this idea been discussed already? Is there something in the works to make this a reality? Or is this not a viable option for reasons I haven’t thought of? Thank! 

Mcquown
First Steps

There should be an option to delete previous data to start over without having to delete the entire account as a whole. Most athletes or people that are into fitness want to clear their data to start at a new point. If there is a years worth of data and you want to start fresh the new year, you have to delete your entire account? -_-

likethe309
Jogger

Please please please add the option to delete data from Coach. I pay for it and can't just get a new email address. I just started the program back to after over a year away and there's no way I'm the same level as before . It's so frustrating that I feel like I have no choice but to cancel my subscription 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@likethe309 or contact Fitbit and see what they can do.

likethe309
Jogger

I contacted them and there's nothing they can do. They sent me here to post my suggestion 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@likethe309 since this suggestion is for the users Fitbit Account, not their Coach account, you might want to make a suggestion for the ability to delete data in the Coach account .

These two accounts really are not same.

likethe309
Jogger

Again, I just posted where support told me to post. They linked me here so 🙃

purpleladytx
Stepping Up

I am just returning to Fitbit after having used other trackers for the last few years - when I got my new Charge3 and logged in to Fitbit, I found all my OLD data was still there - in checking with support, I found Fitbit has no 'functionality' to choose to delete a range of data, have to do item by item which is not very user friendly. Can we please have a function to wipe out 'old' data when we want to start fresh or are coming back after a big time gap (years) like me? 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @purpleladytx! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Jstaud63
First Steps

I agree. I would be nice to be able to purge data for a date range. 

Personally I would like to purge all data on my Charge2 prior to 1/22/19, as I took this Fitbit over from my wife when she got a new one. 

It would be nice if the next firmware release for this reflected that ability.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Jstaud63 . When you took the tracker over from your wife you should have created your open account with your open email. This way your data would start on the date your account was created.

Jstaud63
First Steps

@Rich_Laue 

When I took it over I did create a new account for myself and then synced the fitbit to my account. The problem is I didn’t reset the fitbit prior to doing that so the resident data from my wife was still on there and transferred to my account when I synced.

My bad as this wouldn’t have been an issue had I cleared her data off first. But, there still should be a way to delete info across all aspects of the device, either mobile or computer, but there isn’t. I have deleted what I could, but a lot of data for items that I track, like Water consumption and Hourly Activity, can’t be deleted without resetting the whole database.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Oops a duplicate post

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Ask that was required was one last sync to her account before you took it over.

For now you can mark the unwanted steps as driving.

Or have Fitbit support to delete the account

Or ask Fitbit support to remove the steps.

Releasing this data would be a function for your Fitbit account, once the tracker has synced the data is no longer in the tracker.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.