Ability to generate GAM based on version number

It would be good if from a developer point of view you could choose the version number and create a GAM link accordingly. That would allow a developer to distribute to updated versions to testers prior to submitting for review.

8 Comments
bsavarin
Base Runner

I definitely agree. Instead of publishing versions that haven't been tested, this would be an excellent way to have others test first, even as a beta version for a few selected users.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit for years has been testing updates both internal employees and non employees. 

allyann
Runner

@Rich_Laue, this is for testing updates after you have already published an app to the Fitbit Gallery. Prior to publishing you can distribute the GAM link as a private link. Once it has been published though, any updates use the same GAM link so you cannot share it to testers for them to test the update.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit does have a private beta test group, I'm a member of. 

As for the GAM generalized addictive model or how GLMs relates to this I'm not sure. 

allyann
Runner

Thats great @Rich_Laue, but I have been developing apps for specific user groups, so would like to be able to get some members of those groups to test it to ensure it meets their user requirements.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

If you are referring to apps for the ionic, go for it. You can keep the app private and send the link to who you want to.. 

allyann
Runner

Yes, but the once it is published, and you need to make changes to the app, ie. to fix bugs, or add new functionality, the GAM link takes you to the published version in the app gallery, not the new altered version. Therefore you cannot send to testers to test bugs are fixed, or that new functionality works.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion, it would definitely be useful, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community member think.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.