Ability to use Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor or foot pods

I like that the Charge HR and Surge have the ability to monitor heart rate via the wrist based optical monitor, but from what I have gathered, it sounds like all wrist based optical heart rate monitors have poor accuracy at high intensity workouts.  It would be great if fitbit had a product that had a wrist based heart rate monitor, but would switch to using a chest strap heart rate monitor if one was detected.  Any chance that the firmware/software on the Charge HR and/or Surge could be updated to use a bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor? 

Moderator edit: labels and title.

332 Comments
jim_80
Recovery Runner

This is one area that Fitbit still lags behind the competition. Would love to see this feature added to current and future smartwatch devices in the range, as it seems very possible

Pantelis
First Steps

Hope Fitbit hear us all! Love my Ionic and if had the option to connect a chest strap I would be more happy

MTBer
Jogger

After switching to polar m200 the wrist based HR is very accurate. Not to mention it will sync to chest strap but it's not really necessary. So fitbit should put more effort into increasing the accuracy of there wrist optical sensor. Maybe ionic is better, haven't tried one. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@jim_80You are right it is one area fitbit lags behind, and something I would like to see change.  The problem is it isn't the only area and even with external devices why still wouldn't show any helpful data related towards training.  Fitbit doesn't show cadence so adding a sensor to a bike or a foot pod for a run doesn't really help. The newer run pods that an show power would be cool as well but then again fitbit doesn't even show pace unless you use gps.  Over all this seems like a much bigger change and one fitbit doesn't even want to consider.  Fitbit is more the casual user or someone's first tracker, if they are serious about fitness or training they typically move on to another brand, I know I did.  I unfortunately had to move back because of poor app support for my phone but then again Windows isn't the most popular phone right now.  

mat_rhein
Recovery Runner

Yep, guess what I did when I realized this to its full dimension. Sent back the Ionic within return window and got one of those sleek round watches that have an always-on display and pair to any sensor or Meter out there. Thanks for commenting, though, maybe someone finds this thread early enough.

tghand
Jogger

Well over a hundred people here saying the same thing:  1) The HRM on the fitbit devices do not record exercise well.  2) People would like to be able to use a chest strap and import data into the Fitbit app.  The desire for this is clear.  I hope Fitbit responds.  For now, it sounds like using a chest strap with a Fitbit-compatible app and then importing data from that is the closest one can get.  Which may not be too close if the data doesn't integrate well in the Fitbit app.  Like almost everyone else here, I am looking for something that works for accurate HR monitoring.  Most people want to stay with Fitbit, but we really need the company to show some flexibility and provide a path to more accurate heart rate information.  

etorpy
Jogger

Fitbit needs to support a chest strap heart rate monitor. This is necessary to get an accurate reading during exercise. If Fitbit doesn't add this support in the next 6 months, I will leave the platform.

etorpy
Jogger

Fitbit needs to support chest straps. A chest strap is necessary to get a reliable reading during exercise. If Fitbit doesn't add this support in the next six months, I will leave the platform.

yoonzita
First Steps

The only thing preventing me from buying it...I want my smartwatch to work with my Polar H10 to measure accurate HR during my swimming sessions. All the product features are great, but this need is essential.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Allnamestsken
Jogger

Come on Fitbit!!! Make this happen!!! Would love to use my Polar H10 to syinc with the Fitbit app

tghand
Jogger
I pretty much have given up on fitbit doing this... They have their reasons
whatever they are... Maybe since they don't make a chest strap they are
concerned about people moving to a different environment.
I just purchased the polar a370, and after one day of use am finding out it
also has inaccuracies with the heart rate... Whether this is minor or not I
just don't know yet. BUT. .. I do know that this watch will work with a
h10 chest strap, an OH1 optical arm band and probably even with the new
scosche 24 hour optical arm band whose predecessor the rhythm+, has such a
good reputation for accuracy. The scosche 24 is coming out soon. I like
my charge2 a lot and the Fitbit website as well, but fitbit needs to
address the inaccuracy that is at the heart of their device. Perhaps they
should make their own chest straps and arm bands. But they better hurry
cause people like me are likely to jump ship before they can develop
something. Hence my suggestion to open their system to work with others.
Hundreds of people have said this to Fitbit...I really have the feeling
that they just don't want to do it. Too bad. Really.
cathy_c
First Steps

I would love to be able to use data from my chest strap for my heart rate. I've been using Fitbit for two years now - Charge HR first year and the Blaze now.  The heart rate is just far too inaccurate to be of any use when exercising at high intensity.  I wear the chest strap with my running watch along with my Fitbit when I run.  My Fitbit records my heart rate 20-30 BPM too high when I run. For the past 8-10 months I no longer wear my Fitbit on my wrist, but just remove the module from the band and put it in my pocket. Somehow it still thinks it's reading my heart rate (stil 20-30 beats too high) even though it's in my pocket with the contacts aimed away from my body. I do like the app but am very seriously considering switching to another brand which will provide more accurate tracking. I hope Fitbit will acknowledge what we already know - that a chest strap will provide more accurate data for many users when working out at high intensity - instead of denying there is a problem. 

tghand
Jogger

Because the heart rate anomalies were so egregious with the Fitbit I'm  switching to the polar a370. It's heart rate is also a bit wonky although I haven't been able to determine the details on that yet. But it will communicate with an armband or chest strap... I'm waiting for the scosche 24, Optical armband which is supposed to have very good accuracy and last  for 24 hours so it can be worn all day. I still wear my Fitbit for sleep but will probably eventually just ditch it. Hey I wanted to love the Fitbit but it has such a big flaw at it's heart With no good work around that I can see. Had they allowed a chest strap, I want not have switched. Oh well.  The polar a370 is a very similar watch to the charge 2 with similar features, similar price, a slightly larger screen that's easier to read and is in color. I don't think the polar website is nearly as interesting or involving as the Fitbit website unfortunately.  And the Fitbit sleep tracking seems a bit more accurate and says that it offers more information regarding Rem and deep sleep.  Those are some of the reasons why I really wanted to like the Fitbit watch, but they weren't enough to keep me with such problems at its core.

Joekh06
First Steps

Agreed this is a quick win feature that can be developed easily. With the ability to switch between monitoring HR from the watch to the chest strap for mor strenuous activity. It’s annoying to have to use a different app to monitor this just because Fitbit hasn’t added it to its capabilities.

This is why I quit with fitbit, I'm actually daily using a Polar A370 and I'm honestly pretty happy with it, using the chest strap when needed is definitely priceless. Even a giant like Apple let you (since the beginning) use an external chest strap to integrate your data.

I am also considering to get an apple watch 3, maybe the 38mm since the Polar A370 is not appearing that smaller when compared closed to the AW. Not the thinner fitness tracker lol

If only Fitbit would say "yes we are working on allowing you to integrate your heart rate data with an external chest strap" I would get back to the Fitbit system but for now it's over. They are totally blind about this argument. Sadly.

Caitmiller87
First Steps

My original comment on here was responding to some one that had put a  post 4 years earlier so fitbit doesn’t seem to care. One time some one who works for fitbit actually responded to advertise another wrist fitbit completely ignoring the thread. I called it there. I switched to whoop. I might look into Apple Watch. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

since i am a personal trainer and crossfit competitor I would really enjoy having a chest strap for me.

tghand
Jogger

Moved on to a Polar A370... similar to the Charge2 but with much greater HR accuracy.  Still has problems in this area and I am still evaluating.  But the reason I was confident to purchase this watch was that I knew I could get chest band devices that would give me the accurate data I want during a workout.  With the Scosche 24 armband that's coming out, there may even be a 24-hour option that is accurate.  I still use the Charge2 to track sleep sometimes, which seems to be superior to the Polar watch.  Kind of sad, 'cause I really wanted to like the Charge2.  Oh well...

Ella93
Jogger

It is well known that that chest straps are much more accurate for measuring HR than wrist watches. The fitbit does well at this in a lot of case however for certain intense activities and for those that can’t wear a watch at work (like me!) being able to put your watch in your pocket and wear an external HRM would be amazing! Especially when for people who are not as bothered about steps but more about accurate calorie counting! 

DWHutch
Recovery Runner

I agree with the previous comments.  If I want accurate heart rates during workouts I will have to go with a chest strap device and some type of wrist type read out.  And, if when bicycling I want to monitor my heart rate I want a device that is compatible with the common cycling apps.on my I Phone to avoid taking my hand off the 'drops'. And, if I do purchase a chest strap with wrist read out, in most cases i am duplicating at least some of the features of the Fitbit.

DarkPurpleInk
First Steps

I love my fitbit to no end but when I'm working out so hard that i cant talk between breaths and I'm sweating buckets there is nothing more angering than looking at my fitbit and having it say my HR is 108 or something stupidly low and that my max HR during the whole exercise was 130. 

DWHutch
Recovery Runner

Yep, I understand. I had the same problem. I started working with a
trainer and she convinced me that the wrist heart rate monitors lack
accuracy in general but especially in the upper ranges needed for cardio
training . She also convinced that the gym equipment heart rate monitors
are probably even less accurate. I now wear a Polar chest strap heart rate
monitor with wrist display when doing cardio and serious biking. The wrist
strap units like Fitbit certainly have their uses and value with their
current technology but probably not in cardio training.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

tghand
Jogger
Yes, I dumped the fitbit for fitness since it was clear that they were
going to maintain their "fantasy watch" format and not allow chest straps.
Still, I have not gone over to a chest strap yet. I found that the
rhythm24 does a pretty good job. My Polar A370 (which will allow a chest
strap if I go to that) also does a pretty good job. They both have some
problems with sudden changes in heart rate and both have delays of several
seconds. And occasionally they can both become very wonky and require
restarts to get back to accurate rates. But for the most part, I'm doing
well wearing both of these and comparing between the two.

Tony
atxemily
First Steps

I strongly recommend that fitbit develop a chest strap heart rate monitor.  I love the Charge 2 for every day but when I do an intense workout, the heart rate is not always being picked up or accurate.  If unwilling to develop a chest strap monitor, consider allowing other chest strap monitors to pair with the fitbit app so the heart rate data can be accurately recorded all in once place.

Thanks!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.