Able to create a custom meal and indicate number of servings

I would really like to be able to build a recipie and then indicate how many servings it makes and how much I ate and see nutritional break down by servings too.  I think it would way easier than trying to enter all ingredients then when its time to eat the leftovers I can just add the recipie serving.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

743 Comments
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Nzordich, thanks for sharing this product feedback about being able to create your own meals on the Fitbit app and indicate the number of servings with us. Because this idea was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Nymdok
First Steps
I would like the ability to create a food item that is the sum total of the information in its component items.

This is accomplished through simple arithmetic.

Custom->Add Custom Recipe->Add Ingredient from current database

+ Nymdok's Tuna Fish Sandwich
+ Tuna
+ Bread
+ Mayo
Nutrition Total:
Cals: XXX Protein: XXX Carbs: XXX Fats: XXX etc
slothskirt
Jogger

Going through the message boards FitBit users have been asking for you to add a portion option after creating a favorite meal/inputting a recipe for almost a decade - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this

User solutions suggest sourcing this out to other third party apps like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt which then often have their own subscription fees (on top of the FitBit premium fee) to access all the features and then still will create additional glitches with syncing etc.

nportelli
Base Runner

If this is like meals, then yes I agree.  I eat cereal every morning, I want to be able to add the cereal and milk in one go.

Nymdok
First Steps

Although I hadnt considered "meals" as an entity, yes this idea is applicable to that use case as well.

For example. When you buy a box of cereal, depending on what kind of cereal (Grapenuts are different from Fruity Pebbles), and how big of a box you buy can change the nutrition information as can the amount of milk you add, and how much of it you eat.

So if you have a "go to" for cereal that you eat regularly along with a kind of milk (Im a 2% man myself) then just having that recorded helps especially if its more involved. Say you add fruit to it? Or sugar?

+Nportelli's Cereal
  + 1.5 Cups Whole Milk
  +  2 Cups Shredded Wheat
  + 1 banana
  + 1 tbspn Sugar

Now, by extension, lets say you have made it a habit to eat this frequently, and its accompanied by Toast and Juice?

+Nportelli's Cereal Breakfast
  + 1 serving Nportelli's Cereal
  + 8 oz orange juice
  + 2 slices enriched bread

I like to cook, but Im always modifying recipes to make them more protein rich, so I have to go back and recalculate recipes, by hand, and then enter the nutrition data in as a "custom food." If I could so that as the components that ALREADY EXIST in the Fitbit database (scanning UPC codes is handy af), that would really speed things up, especially for foods that are really customizable like Pizza, Pasta Salad, Burritos, Grilled Chicken and/or Steak Salads, Nachos etc.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Nymdok, thanks for sharing this product feedback about being able to create your custom meal on the Fitbit app using elements of the food database with us. This idea was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Rightrev
First Steps
Also, I wish there was an easier way to create your own foods using the scanner for food tracking. I prepare better than 80% of what I eat- it would be nice as I cook I could scan the ingredient bar codes in the app, input an amount, and have all the ingredients saved under one dish so I can track it easily.
kayin72
First Steps
Hello All
Just got an inspire 3, was trying to use the food tracker option, which is great that it has a barcode scanner, what im not finding is an option to create custom meal (eg sandwich) and scan all the pieces in to use as a quick entry, instead of having to scan each piece every day. Spoke to chat support, they said removed from last update.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @kayin72, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to create a custom meal on the Fitbit app with us. We found some similar ideas already posted on this board and you can see them here:

Please support these ideas by adding your vote as this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit
our FAQs.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Rightrev, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Product Feedback Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing product feedback

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per product feedback, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Product Feedback.

JCDeg
First Steps

This request has been open since 2014.  How long will it take to build out this basic functionality that all the other trackers already have?  Has Fitbit taken this request seriously?

bari.anjali
First Steps
There should be a feature where the user can build a recipe, including the number of servings, allowing the user to log the food in the app. Not having this feature essentially sends the message that homecooked food is not recognized by FitBit.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @bari.anjali, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to build your own recipe with the number of servings on the Fitbit app with us. Because this product feedback was already requested on this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

gnivek
Jogger
I need to create a custom meal (a recipe that feeds whole family), but then log a single serving or portion into my dashboard.
Kaiser13
First Steps
I eat homemade meals, at the minute I have to add each ingredient separately into the app. It would be good if there was an option to create a meal by inputting all the ingredients, and just log that instead, and it would show up the correct macros.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gnivek, thanks for sharing this product feedback about being able to create a custom meal and indicate the number of services when logging on the Fitbit app with us. This idea was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kaiser13, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to create a recipe by logging each ingredient and indicate the number of servings with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Grimnir
First Steps

The reality that this fairly simple feature (create meal/recipe by adding foods -which is already possible- and then allow to select number of portions the recipe makes and you consumed for logging a batch of pancakes or cookies that you clearly aren't going to eat all of in one sitting) was requested in 2014 and is still missing in the app 10 years later is probably the reason I won't renew the Fitbit Premium when it expires. The responses to do the math yourself isn't the point of paying a subscription for the guidance and micro/macro tracking that is offered by several competing apps. Dividing 1 tablespoon of baking soda across 10 pancakes, or entering 1/5 of an egg/banana/cup of oatmeal's nutrients/calories for the single pancake meal also isn't simple to do in the app, so neither option works unless the recipe is incredibly convenient to divide. The suggestion to keep paying a Fitbit subscription and then attach the Fitbit to a third party app to pay a second subscription to achieve the fairly basic request is fairly tone deaf. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.