Able to merge two or more exercises

For some sports, like football (or soccer as in the us Man Happy), the fitbit provide great statistics. However footballtrainings are on avarage 1,5h to 2h but with an occasionally rest or time to stretch. I notice that my charge HR frequently split up these moments. So I have two or more excercises logged. Is there, or can there be, a way to merge these exercises so I have one exercise which provide me with the full data of one training? This would be very handy!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

25 Comments
haziebaby
Stepping Up

I would like to be able to Join or Merge 2 seperate GPS activities. 

The reason for this is sometime I have accidently stopped tracking or my battery has died and I have ended up with 2 or 3 completely spereate segments which should actually be the same activity. I have figured out how to join them together on Strava (by saving as gpx file, copying and paisting the tracked info into 1 file, saving and re-uploading) but I can not find away to do this on my Fit bit dashboard/app. 

It would be great if I can edit afterwards with an option to 'merge' or 'join'.

Cheers

Saints
First Steps
I searched and found one request, but couldn't comment. I have a blaze and tonight I accidentally ended my walk/run when I was trying to restart it. (Dog break)
We should be able to go to the app and link/sync/merge runs with a break in the middle.

Thank you
rcaudio
Recovery Runner

I see others have this problem:  Inadvertently pressing the finish button if you just intended to pause or just look at current stats.  When you resume, you end up with two activities logged.  Would be nice to merge these into one form the dashboard. 

AKLDave
Recovery Runner

I totally agree with this, happens from time to time and is so annoying. A merge function would be great. Can we start voting for this?

AKLDave
Recovery Runner

Totally agree with both posters! Please vote for this.

Bvacek
First Steps

If voting is open I would be a yes for this. It is also a problem when pausing your workout to remove a jacket and it is inadvertently finished and you need to start a new one. 

Chantal25
Jogger

I also would like to be able to merge 2 exercise activities. I frequently end an exercise accidentally, and start up a second one to finish my workout session. I then end up with 2 exercises for the same training session. Would be so great to be able to just merge both activities into just one!

JanvanDeinze
First Steps

Frustrating that it's not possible to merge 2 activities (wrong manipulation I guess) ending up with 2 activities.

Kurt-fit
First Steps

It's a very good idea.

I have a charge 2 fitbit and I use to log my cycling activity using the tracker, but how tracker doesn't have GPS I need to use fitbit app to log location stuffs. The problem is that when I use the app to track GPS, it doesn't have cycling option on App, just Run, Walk and Hike. The result is that I always get two activities in the history: one from tracker, other from mobile phone. And when I sync to strava, it creates two activites: Biker and Run.

It would be nice to have a way to merge these two activities in one before sync to strava.

Jenn25
Jogger

I agree! This is the number one thing I would like to see implemented at the moment.

I would also like to be able to add notes/comments for workouts (not just customizing the name, which I am able to do).

Cynjean
Jogger

My Fitbit app splits up my workouts logged by my Alta hr. When I do intervals it says my walk time and run time separately on the same day and I'd like to combine them

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Sage.Sam
First Steps

It's quite frustrating to accidentally end an exercise instead of just pausing (this happened to me on my bike this week) and then have all your stats split and incorrect.  

A manual merge could be achieved if the import feature was available--it has hundreds of votes, yet was shot down for some reason. 

(See https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Allow-import-of-GPX-CSV-TCX-files-to-FitBit/idi-... )  I mention this here because the same people who want to merge exercises would likely want to import other things as well. 

I could understand if FitBit didn't want you to export data to share, it would keep you on their platform.  Not allowing an import though is dumb.  It means people will stay on whatever other platform they already have, because they can't move anything over TO fitbit. 

AKLDave
Recovery Runner

Its great that this has been noticed and acknowledged by a Moderator, hopefully it leads to some action by Fitbit!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
etalbot
First Steps

It would be great to be able to merge auto-recognised exercises into one! For instance I will often walk my dog for an hour, but wait on a bench for him while he tires himself out playing and I end up with two walks. I'd love to be able to combine them! 

TheFunkSoulBro
Base Runner

I use various iOS apps which all try to feed data in to the Fitbit app. Great times. However, when i Use something like Runkeeper, it adds an activity to Fitbit. Then fitbit adds its own activity at pretty much the same time. It would be great if you would merge the two and pick and choose which bits of data you keep in the final activity. So, for example, if they both log distance and time, but I know I stopped the timer on one but not the other, I could keep the more accurate time, etc.

SuzStar91
First Steps

I go for a lot of walk and I don’t always set the to walking, generally because I find that the auto tracking is great, but it splits my walks so if I got for a 2 hour walk I could get up to 3 different logs in my tracker

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SuzStar91, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding exercise logging with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

GCrispyJr
Jogger

Hi, I've just got a new Fitbit (Versa 2), and am pleased that I can also now auto-track my run live without having to look at my phone to see how I'm doing. However, I still like to track the run with my phone app, as I need the audio cues for pace/etc., and the GPS tracking also works better when the app is running along with me. 

As a result of me using both devices, I end up with 2 "activities" within the FitBit app. I know I could also not use the Versa 2, but I like to be able to look at my heartrate, pace and distance between audio cues.

I think a new feature within the FitBit App should be to auto-recognise duplicated entries (i.e. 1 from Phone, 1 from Versa) and merge the two, capturing the key info from both (i.e. GPS/pace from phone, heartrate/etc from Versa).

I also have my FitBit account linked to my Strava account, and my activities get auto-uploaded to my Strava profile (awesome functionality, by the way!). However, due to the duplicated exercises, I end up with two versions of every run logged in Strava. This makes it look like I'm running twice as far than I am when it collates the runs for the leaderboard stats/etc... which is not what I want! I want to compete fairly!

Can these issues be fixed? Can an option be implemented within the FitBit app to "auto-merge" data captured from the same exercise (perhaps recognising the times in which the exercises are logged, as it's impossible for a user to do two runs simultaneously...)?

Cheers!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @GCrispyJr. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to merge two duplicated exercises and capture key data from them with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

CaptChem
First Steps
There needs to be a function on the dashboard or the app that allows users to combine two sessions of running that occur closely in time due to the tracker stopping recording.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @CaptChemThanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to be able to merge multiple exercises into a single log with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

rowlinm
First Steps
Having paused my Fitbit to remove a nail from my shoe I found the run had been ended (probably my fault) and had to start a new run to complete my exercise.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @rowlinm. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to merge two or more exercises with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.