Able to turn off Sense 2 screen by covering briefly with hand

As already working with the original Sense, please implement the feature "to turn off the watch's screen when not in use, by briefly cover the watch face with your opposite hand. At the moment the only working way to turn off the screen is 'wait'.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
17 Comments
Barbie127
First Steps

I agree and would love this feature to be added

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RonaldM, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to turn off your Sense 2 screen by covering briefly the screen with your hand with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

RonaldM
Sprinter

Because my screen wake setting on my Fitbit Sense 2 is set to Button only, the screen only turns off when I stop interacting with the watch.

So it only turns off depending on my screen timeout setting, no other way. This wasn't the case with my original Sense. I used the same setting as I have now, but I was able to turn off the Sense screen by covering briefly the screen with my hand. 

RonaldM
Sprinter

@LizzyFitbit thank you for your response. I see you changed the title, but is it clear enough I mean the Sense 2 and not the old Sense? Because the old/original Sense already has this suggested feature. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi there, @RonaldM and thanks for the heads up. I edited the title so this idea can be implemented on the Sense 2. Thanks for participating in this board and keep adding your suggestions!

Hopcroft
First Steps

Can this be updated to include the Versa 4 please?

Exactly the same issue with the Versa 4 despite it being a feature of the Versa, Versa 2 and Versa 3!

bebehamster
First Steps

Sense 2 is the first watch/wristband I have whose screen can be turned on but not off and this is absolutely ridiculous. Even the most basic devices by samsung, xiaomi, and huawei have this and I cannot imagine why this feature would be taken away. Even if there is an unsolvable bug with the hand wave, there should be another way - i.e. clicking the button past the home screen. 

y2woody
Jogger

Yes to this need to be added to Versa 4 As well.

Simple function that should have already been carried over from previous devices. 

TheVinny
Strider

With my Versa 3 I could simply press the side button to go from my active display screen back to black (off). With the new Sense 2 I can't find any way to get there except wait the minimum 6 seconds OR to try to turn wrist forward. I like using my Fitbit in the middle of night as a mini-flashlight to go to bathroom or just find my water bottle and then can turn off right away rather than wait until 8 seconds to turn off by itself. This helps avoid waking up my wife or even seeing too much light myself in the middle of the night. And because I am already pointing it forward (to see where I'm going) I can't rotate my wrist any further forward to turn back to black. There must be some way I would think to go back to OFF (blank screen) manually on demand.

Additionally, as the author of this thread mentions, just checking what time it is in the middle of the night leaves the light on for as long as your chosen screen time display is set. In my case with new Sense 2 even 6 seconds is just too long. 

With my Versa 3, all I have to do is touch the screen itself, or the side button, to turn off. I guess covering the screen with your hand is how the sense 1 works to turn off. 

Either way, being able to turn it off immediately when wanted is a great feature. Thanks for allowing feedback like this!

Toadro
First Steps

I couldn't believe this feature was missing when I upgraded from the Sense to the Sense 2! When I am at work (as a nurse) I need my screen to remain active for the full 60 seconds, but at home, I usually only need a second or 2. I shouldn't have to change my settings multiple times a day, when covering the screen with my hand or pressing the button should be able to turn off my screen and save battery. This feature MUST be added. 😞 Very disappointed, since there really aren't any noticeable improvements between the sense and sense 2, but seem to be multiple downgrades (ie this and on wrist calls). I only upgraded because my less than one year old Sense suffered a shattered screen after a 3 ft. fall (which was ridiculous).

lumihiutalevala
First Steps

This is the first thing that annoyed me about the Sense 2. I've been using the Sense (1) for over a year, and I use the cover with hand to turn off the screen many times a day. Please bring this to the Sense 2! Until then I have the delay set to 1 second, which has its own annoyances. 

TheVinny
Strider

Just wanted to give a quick comment here. I received my first Sense 2 update this morning. And sure enough, lo and behold after the update when I cover the screen with my hand for one second it turns the screen back off. Thank you to those who suggested this idea, directed me here and to Fitbit for taking care of it. Makes a nice difference! Especially in the middle of the night. 😊

TheVinny
Strider

Actually you don’t even have to cover it for one or two seconds just cover it with your hand even a fraction of a second it turns it off. 

RonaldM
Sprinter

It's a small thing, but I am very happy with the implementation of our feature suggestion! And directly with the first big firmware update, I'm impressed 🥳

y2woody
Jogger

Finally updated with new update on watch. thanks for coming to the party. 

Barbie127
First Steps

I am in Canada and have yet to have an update that has added this feature in fact I haven't had any updates whatsoever

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Sense 2 firmware version 1.184.52. You can find more details here.

@RonaldM, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.