Access to full music functions during workout tracking

I was disappointed to find that when I track exercise I cannot switch between playlists and choose specific songs as I can in the music app. The only functions currently available are fast forward, volume and device output (when you hold down the button) which are basic functions already on my wireless headphones. I have different playlists for different parts of my workout which I switch between during my workout. I also like to scroll through songs to choose the one I want. This is available in the music app on the ionic but not during workouts. Please can you look at making this available as it is a real drawback on the ionic. Love my ionic and not having to take my phone with me into the gym but frustrated with the lack of functionality during workouts. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

108 Comments
elleabee
First Steps

Is anyone else finding that the spotify addition on the versa 2 was a missed mark?
The only time I really feel like I need the convenience of a quick skip a song watch feature is when I am doing a workout that would be, say, worth tracking.
As soon as you start tracking a workout, other screens and apps become inaccessible, including the option to open spotify via the watch face and skip songs/ access a library.
While you can access it during, say, a run that is set to auto- detect, we all know that the stats from auto-detect are not the same as if you were tracking it specifically.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @elleabee what a nice idea! I think that a lot of users will like to have this option on Fitbit Versa 2. See you around.

virtualcomet
First Steps

I see that this has been asked for the last 2 years, I'm shocked that its still not possible to change tracks or playlists from the watch during a workout. I hope to see this very soon as it would make a huge difference in the watch functionality during workouts. Thanks!

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @virtualcomet, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to maintain this board organized.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@virtualcomet as for changing tracks, users have always been able to do this by holding in the left button from any screen. With the latest fitbit OS the user would swipe down. 

The problem is that users are unable to change play lists. We had a suggestion for moving the exercise app to the background. If fitbit allows the exercise app to be moved to the background, then users will be able to open the music app and switch playlists. 

JulieMulie
Jogger

Completely agree, without the ability to use the Spotify app whilst in the exercise app, it’s completely useless and a waste of everyone’s time. Such a shame. 

akmiecik
Jogger

Suggested process for playing music during exercise routine:

1. Pick music playlist (or lists) and pick shuffle option (yes/no)
  2. Go to Exercise app, pick an exercise, start the exercise.
  3. Music starts once the exercise is started
  4. Switch to Music app
  5. Toggle between music and exercise 

Ideally, this could be done with any music app.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Fleece, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about adding Switzerland food data base! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @akmiecik! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ElsHogan. Thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

Bradshuu
Recovery Runner

There needs to be a way to use the Spotify app on the Charge 4 to control music WHILE recording a run. This seems like such a basic multitasking feature. What is the point of controlling my music if I can’t do so while recording a workout? At the current moment, as soon as I start recording my run, I can’t access any of the apps until I finish the workout. There needs to be away to navigate back and access all apps like Spotify and weather while a workout is in progress. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Bradshuu. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to access Spotify while using the exercise app. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions.

rammrayn
Jogger

I've just bought a Charge 4 and discovered this issue. From the advertising I assumed that I would be able to do both (control Spotify using my Charge 4 whilst logging an exercise) but its clear this is not the case. It really does defeat the purpose of having Spotify compatibility in my opinion. The only time I would realistically need to control Spotify with my Fitbit is whilst exercising and this can't be done. 

It's a very basic feature that is missing and Ftibit not being up front about that in the advertising does seem a bit shady.

I really do hope that a future update would sort this out.

I bought Charge 4 so I can control Spotify from my wrist, instead of taking the phone out of my pocket every few minutes. Turns out that then I have my workout mode on, the Charge 4 is as useful as any other basic device. Surely this is an basic function when adding a music app to a (pretty expensive) device? If i knew that wasn't working as expected I dont think I would have bought the tracker. 

Holtzmann
Runner

This should really be an option, especially on the smartwatches. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

2019 and the new charge 4 has the same issue, it cant be that hard to come with a new firmware update where you can simply swipe down while in the workout to change tracks in Spotify... the whole feature seems a bit useless if the workout gets paused 

CEOrtiz
First Steps

Should be a basic feature for a fitness “tracker” to be able to play the advertised Spotify whilst “tracking” your exercise. Please include ASAP. Thank you.

ChadWms
First Steps

What a total crock it is to not be able to control Spotify while tracking a workout with this Chrage 4. Guessing it wont be addressed and fixed until the Charge 5 comes out!!! Need to give people a reason to buy the next rollout. I'm returning mine! You would think that they would actually have people who workout and would use this thing test it before rolling it out. Clearly their developers are people who sit on their butts in front of a computer and dont do any physical activity all day or they would have obviously known how WORTHLESS this feature really is!!! Shameful...

rich00
First Steps

Any update on this ? Like the rest of the comments here this is fairly significant feature request that should have been sorted when Spotify was made available. Wish I had know this before buying the Versa 2, I would have bought something else. It's been 9 months since this issue has been reported and it can't take that long to develop the feature. I'm sure  this can be done within one of your sprint cycles.

ironsidegnr
First Steps

Literally the only reason that I picked the Charge 4 was so that I could control my music while I was running.

It is absolutely ridiculous that this feature isn't available, and there appears to be absolute silence about a timeline to add the feature or not.

I am returning this and buying a Garmin Vivosport.  At least I won't have to wait 48 hours for an update that still doesn't make the device functional.

Addyliberator
First Steps

I just bought the charge 4 primarily for the hearts on alerts… And it has been a royal pain to figure out how to set that up when it is not an exercise mode. I don’t want to choose an exercise mode every time but if it is the case that I have to do that… Then at least let Spotify work. I cannot believe this massive oversight has happened and I really suggest that you fix it as soon as possible otherwise negative reviews about the charge for I will continue to permeate

Cwilczewski
First Steps

I can't believe this issue still hasn't been sorted out and it's been a YEAR since these complaints started. I also feel misled, since I bought the more expensive Charge 4 for the Spotify music control while exercising. This is misleading! If it doesn't get fixed I'll be forced to leave a bad review and recommend people buy a different GPS watch that actually does what it says it will.... So disappointing. Come on Fitbit, do better! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hello,

My second day with the Charge 4 and I still can not believe that it's impossible to use Spotify on it while running. It was one of the main reasons I decided to go with Fitbit instead of other brands. 

Hopefully it will be done something about this issue soon, although looking at the date of the posts it's not looking very promising. 😞

All the best,

Codrin

GigiDuru
Recovery Runner

Same issue on Fitbit Sense, please listen to your customers.

Cisela
First Steps

I just bought the Versa 3 and I can't control my Spotify music while exercising. This is really frustrating and it negatively effects my ease of access while trying to get a good workout in. I'm disappointed. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.