Activate GPS for swimming on the Sense.

GPS is not an option in swimming activity on the sense. When I use a kickboard during my swimming workout, the Sense does not capture those yards in my workout. (Because my arms arent moving?) GPS may track my distance better
20 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Richinsrr, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to track GPS data while swimming with your Fitbit Sense. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

dan20man
First Steps

This would be ideal for ocean swimming as well. there are no lines on the bottom of the ocean so trying to gauge how straight you have been swimming is all guesswork. If you could make this happen it would be a sensational product improvement!

pinguini
First Steps

yes, I agree, we need GPS activated.  I do triathlons, including ocean / open water swimming and need the locations logged.  thx!

madmax52
Jogger

It would benefit the Triathlete  community if swimming was transferrable to Strava.

Option 1: the starting GPS position and the ending GPS position with time could be transferred rather that contending with intermittent GPS connectivity while in the water.

Option 2. include Option 1 and allow for intermittent GPS connectivity if GPS catches a signal during a open water swim.

Option 3: If it is a pool swim....just report out the calculated laps, length time etc. that the watch pick up from its accelerometers..to Strava. Just report the estimated length and time.

Linzbfc
Runner

I'm so used to the FREE swimtag I get at my normal pool syncing to Strava that it is a surprise that something I paid money for doesn't and also produces no data of any interest apart from the number of lengths I've done. Swimtag is loads more interesting and useful.

CHRISB73
First Steps

Please do this. Every other fitness tracker records swims on Strava, if I had known this I would not have bought a sense for me and my wife. Please please activate GPS for swimming. 

PetePB
First Steps

Agree with all the comments - pretty bizarre FITBIT cant send the swimming stats to strava. Please update! Easier than creating all the features people use strava for 😕

kl_w
Recovery Runner

Having recently got into open water swimming and working on increasing my distance, it’s really disappointing that Fitbit doesn’t support even some basic open water swim tracking. I understand maintaining the GPS connection while the watch is regularly underwater would be challenging (although other trackers seem to manage quite well) but could it be added to the app? In the UK most amateur open water swimmers will have a tow float so the exercise could be started on the tracker and then either the tracker (if it has its own GPS) or the phone (if the tracker doesn’t have GPS) could be placed in the tow float. 

This wouldn’t be perfect but would seem a reasonable compromise and benefit a lot of users if Fitbit have no plans to fully support open water swimming. 

As I’m regularly swimming in open water, I’m now faced with having to purchase a different brand of tracker if I want to track distance and time more accurately. 

Keturah3011
Recovery Runner

I agree too. I’ve just started swimming and would want to see my activity in Strava along with my walks. It’s crazy that Fitbit only syncs GPS recorded activities.  Please make swimming a GPS activity so it will also synce to Strava.  

AlexanderTheGre
First Steps

Realizing that swims can't be uploaded to external training programs like Strava and Trainingpeaks is a mayor bummer. Real reason not to buy this watch.

Seattlerunner
Recovery Runner

Would be great if Charge 4/5 or future versions have GPS for swimming as well. 

BingLCYCLING
First Steps

please activate GPS for swimming. I want to be better every time, just same as I want to be better each ride.

Dsdogmaster
First Steps

Yes please add GPS to swims!

dan20man
First Steps

Garmin Fenix 6s pro can do it so  could not be too far away

AllyLondon
First Steps

I agree that not having this feature is a disappointment. I changed from a Huawei watch to have an easier share of data with Strava, but at least that tracked open water swims via GPS. It's a fairly fundamental requirement for a swimmer to be able to track how far you have swam, and the absence of this feature is a massive disadvantage of the product. 

Ktnz
First Steps

Yes, please allow gps tracking for swims so I don't have to buy a different watch. 

CHRISB73
First Steps
Yep I certainly won't b buying a fit bit again..
Animobe
Keeping Pace

Yes we need this (on the versa too please), and for it then to sync swims to Strava.  Other smart watches/trackers have this, Fitbit is lacking in a lot of features available on other brands, if it doesn't improve I will consider a different make for my next watch.  Thanks

karenon
First Steps

This problem puts me off buying any future Fitbits also

Liam_T
First Steps

We need gps data for open water swim. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.