Add Bone Density/Mass, Body water percentage and Skeletal Muscle Mass

Aria bone density/mass calculations and water content calculations.

39 Comments
Alfio
Jogger

It woudl be good if ARIA could also provide information on the water percentage and bones' mass besides the fat percentage.

apple132
Jogger

I'd consider buying one if it did.

capo
Jogger
Hello everybody,
i have a question Abort the Future features.
Do you know If something is in plan to implement the score of my muscle mass and bone density.
Many thanks
Chris
Fifre
Base Runner

I can't answer, but I think you'll have a better chance of reaching someone who can if you post on the discussion forums -> https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Getting-Started-in-the-Fitbit/bd-p/newusers

dawnrodney
Jogger

I own a Fitbit Surge but do not use the Fitbit Aria scale.  I would like to be able to add "% Muscle" and "Muscle Mass" to the "Weight Log".  I would also like you to consider renaming "Weight Log" to "Body Measurements" or "Body Stats".  Not everyone is trying to lose weight and find it more important to track bone density, muscle mass (loss and gain) then just body fat percentage.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

Yes!

I'm not sure how to measure this. Maybe a new scale to supersede the aria with new technology.. ah, i got it! 

Some sort of caliper measurement measurement to measure BF/Muscle mass etc! Make a 3 fold reading and the dashboard can tell you these things!

AlekonaS
First Steps

I would like to track building muscle mass. I do not need to lose weight - just tone and build muscle mass. Not sure if the fitbit will track this somehow. Anyone have ideas or how to let the developers know there are those of us out there doing more than weight loss?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you so much for sharing your idea @paleolithictool. It sounds like a pretty good idea to add this features to the Aria scale, I bet this could be a very helpful way to keep track of this data. I will gladly send your request to our team members so they can take it into consideration.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

Status changed to: New
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

mbrett
Tempo Runner

The calculation is performed based on body capacitance. This is already done by scales like the Blue Anatomy scales. It is used to calculate total bone mass (TBM) and % Water.

I assume these calculations could be performed within the app/service based on weight, age, sex and body capacitance information.

Anomoly
Base Runner
Anyone know if this would be a firmware update or a hardware update to determine muscle, water, bone density?

My old scale (from 5 years ago) does all this with the same body impedance.
fallwalker
Recovery Runner
Good question, if Fitbit is looking at making a change i will wait to buy the scale so not to have to buy a new one with the updated features. Especially since there are other Bluetooth scales on the market with the same features.
Csaive
Jogger

I would like to see additional features on the Aria Scale such as being able to measure: body water percentage, skeletal muscle mass and bone mass in addition to the current features. Thank you!

evjewel
First Steps

Aria updates should include:
-measure water, muscle, bone, AMR and BMR
-more graphs and charts that include where your bmi falls on a scale of underweight to obese
It should be a one stop shop for weight analyses

Sarmina
Recovery Runner

Yes! And if you don't have this for the Aria scale, at least have it in the Fitbit App. I bought a Bluetooth scale (had to return Aria as it couldn't connect to my dorms wifi) and it has all those options. It syncs with Fitbit, but Fitbit does not show water percentage and muscle mass. Please fix this.

virtualprodigy
Stepping Up

I agree the Fitbit Aria needs a second generation. One that measures  the 7 essential body compositions that indicate fitness:

1. body fat percentage
  2. BMI
  3. skeletal muscle
  4. resting metabolism
  5. visceral fat
  6. body age
  7. weight

The Aria Gen 2 should also include an option to have a handheld caliper that works in combination with the scale. Many other fitness scales offer this for better accuracy. Since Fitbit seems to be a total weight lose eco-system, the Aria seems to be the most lacking product they produce. 

Dal88
Jogger

Completely agree with this. Just bought an Aria scale and quite underwhelmed by the limited use is made of data in either the android app or even the online dashboard. Otherwise the scales are basically just expensive simple scales... please develop the app in this regard

RedNails
Jogger

Have Aria show (or make option in settings) to show Fat % OR BMI.

Nickee9
First Steps

Those of us who have a scale that measure water%, muscle%, BMI, and bone density would like a feature to log those digits into the dash board. For example- as a woman, we retain water certain days each month- my weight goal was from 140 to 135. I just hit 133 BUT my fat is up by 1% point.... without accurate tracking its difficult to see if I've lost muscle mass in the last few weeks, or water weight etc... also good to know how a woman tends to "trend" during her cycle. Thanks so much!

Moderator edit: labels.

maruliisu
Jogger

It would be great if you could add the muscle mass in the app and then it would be taken into account when calculating burnt kilo-calories.

BigDog69
Recovery Runner

We need to have the ability on the new aria2 to measure our overall Hydration level % . This is a must have for several reasons :

Over health - I shouldn't need to state what happens your body and Brain when dehydrated

Emotionally -  physically -  intellectually -  

A $35 scale has this critical potentially life saving feature  . Can it be updated software wise to do this Please,,  BigDog 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Many other scale are giving such information for a better price. 

They updated Aria with just the possibility to get basic information for additional user. 

I think that just bull**ahem** update... When you are a Fitbit user and you can't even use your friend or family Aria because it can give information just for one people... seriously at this price!!! 

I found plenty other scale much cheaper and which provides information such as: 

1. body fat percentage
  2. BMI
  3. bones weight
  4. body water
  5. body age
  6. weight

I really regret this purchase. I bought it because I had a Fitbit tracker (which is broken after less than a year).

Many people are saying the same thing and I am not sure they are really taking in consideration our comment. 

I really hope they will do something very fast. 

Lose80win
First Steps

Next aria scale release should include muscle mass, bone density, and water percentage values.  Make a product that can beat or compare to garmin index smart scale features.

pwrwnagmsgrl
First Steps

Bio impedence measurements are super useful for me in training and would love if the scale/ap would show approximated:

- Viceral fat

- Body water %

- Muscle mass %

- Bone Mass

- Predicted / Moving BMR

- Approximated Body Age

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.