Add Canoeing/Kayaking/Paddle Boarding as an Exercise Shortcut

Hi,

Just taken delivery of my Surge and am loving it! One thing I'd like to see is Kayaking/canoeing added as an activity on the Surge. As it is water resistant and splash proof (and you shouldn't be getting that wet!), this should be OK. I am particularly interested in the tracking opportunities offered by the repetitive arm movement - this should be easy for the Surge to recognise and would enable some really great stats - strokes per minute, strokes taken etc, and combined with the GPS function you could work out stroke efficiency, distance per stroke and maybe even give feedback on how well the stroke is done (e.g. more vertical entry v's sloppy strokes).

Could be a quick win for the developers?

Many thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

246 Comments

It looks like paddle sports have been years in the asking, has there been any progress on this?  In the meantime, what is the best exercise to use to simulate tracking paddling?  

Agree - would love to see sea kayaking added to the activities tracked!

lbeyries
Jogger

I spend a lot of time in my canoe paddling but it is only tracked as walking.  It’s a great workout and I would love to have it added to the exercise list.  I see this is in consideration and I hope it’s done soon.  

BROGGO
Jogger
Please add a GPS tracked kayak or paddle board option many other teachers do this I have the top of the range fitbit and I find it's absence strange.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @BROGGO, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding an exercise shortcut for Kayak or Paddle board. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.  

I hope to see you around.

thedagger
Jogger
Is this ever going to happen? This thread has been around for years and Fitbit keeps kicking the can down the road. I think you owe your loyal customers an honest answer. Either it’s on the roadmap or it isn’t… And if it isn’t, it would be nice to know why.

It is clear you have altitude problems… My Sense showed a 295 ft. elevation gain yesterday while paddling in calm water at sea level, and my old Ionic did similar things. And I’m sure you don’t want your non-waterproof products worn while paddling… Just say it!
Zeak1234
First Steps

Kayaking would be an awesome addition!

We have tried using swim while kayaking and paddle boarding but it doesn't work all that well.

We have found that biking works the best cause it tracks our route. Since we usually kayak and paddle board down a river over 2 to 3 days for 20 or more miles it is nice to be able to look back at our route. Hopefully if you add  kayaking/paddle boarding as an excercise it will track our location also! 

Jpav
Jogger

Yes yes.....it would be a pity to start seeing reports of a lack of commitment to  Fitbit app improvements. Already disappointed in the link to Fatsecret......

Violinist1
Jogger

I would like more choices for water activities, like kayak, canoe, rowing and standup paddle board 

Fakeeye
First Steps
Add kayaking to the Fitbit Inspire 2 (and others) so I can log this exercise.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Fakeeye, thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding kayaking as an option in the Exercise app of your Inspire 2. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Rdwwdr
Recovery Runner
Please add paddle sports 😁
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Rdwwdr, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding paddle sports as Exercise Shortcuts. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.  I hope to see you around.

Michaelearley
Jogger

Under consideration for what five years? How long you need to consider it?

Thank you

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

tmquinn
Stepping Up

I cant believe that it has taken so long for Fitbit to address this request!

I gives me the impression that they really do not listen to their customers. 

I am not impressed and regret having bought a Fitbit watch.

Rdwwdr
Recovery Runner

Thanks @YojanaFitbit. I've done what you suggested. 

This has been a longstanding request and I've also been frustrated it hasn't been addressed yet.

I'm hopeful though. As you said on 07-08-20, "This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now". I think a bunch of new products will come to market soon. A good time to RELEASE it!

Ron

pinkdress2
First Steps
Please tell us how to make it a short-cut. I only see that I can log it in later.

Sent from my iPad
AmandaT256
Jogger

Yes!! Adding a kayaking feature would be AWESOME!! 

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding to the Exercise app. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the new Fitbit Sense 2 and Fitbit Versa 4, and these exercise modes will be coming to more devices next year.

@Bits, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes - you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

PaddlerKT
First Steps
Thats great you've developed it but I was hoping you'd update the app so I
can use it on my current Sense,. rather than have to buy a new watch just
to get this.
Is that possible?
Will kayaking be available as an update to the Charge 5 that I just bought
2 months ago?

Julie
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.