Add GPS capability/awareness

Adding a GPS receiver maybe asking too much, but what about working with the GPS in a cell phone? I can see several advantages of linking to the cell phones GPS.

1. Distance and stride length can be determined accurately and automatically. Setting your stride length is trail and error procedure.

2. Automatic driving mode when speeds exceed 30mph.

3. The cell phone app could alert you if you drop the fitbit while excercising, or at least let you know where and when it last 'saw it'.

4. Fun activities like sharing your location with other fitbit users during excercise such as a fun run.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

JP
7 Comments
TheWalkingHerm
Recovery Runner

Totally agree!

It shouldn't be too difficult to add the capability to let the Fitbit mobile app to tap into the built-in GPS of iPhone or Android devices.

Having this feature is especially useful for setting up stride lenght. In fact, I actually use a GPS app (lots to pick in the App Store) on my iPhone myself to measure a 1KM walk and refers back to my Fitbit steps counter to calculate my stride length.

GraceAubeur
Jogger

Actually, I would prefer a real GPS tracker built in the band directly.

Like many other Android users, I have issues with my phone's GPS (more info see here ) making apps like Endomondo completely useless (and frustrating!)

So instead of adding a nice useless feature to the app, it would be awesome if the bracelet itself would be available, at least in one version with integrated GPS tracker

I understand some people are scared that their movements will be tracked, but honestly I personnally do not mind if the NSA can check my running route as long as I can do it too!

If Fitbit can integrate...

- a heart rate tracker improving the calorie counter and sleep activity tracking,

- GPS tracker featuring in the app that allows users to see your routes,

- in a complete waterproof solution for swimmers

- a better system to attach the wristband and make sure it stays in place even in waters

...you will win the heart of runners, swimmers and many more!

So please, please, please make it happen!

Denise1963
First Steps

Hi, my idea is similar to the one posted by:  Add GPS capability/awareness Status: New Idea

by JPWhite on ‎12-28-2013 19:05

I would like to see GPS routing on the Android App for the Fit Bit Flex to show an actual map with streets/roads of the hike that was taken so that you can see the actual trail that you took while out hiking or riding.  The "Runkeeper" App has this on the phone app but I cannot carry the phone with me while doing most outside activities.  I think it would be awesome for FitBit to add this feature in the future.
DavidIanWarren
First Steps

This feature has been added to the FIT app on iPhone, but not Android 😞    Hopefully soon???

IsleGirl
First Steps

Yes, please update the android version too (by the way I have a Fitbit Zip).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us on the Feature Request board. I really like the idea of calculating your stride length automatically. A variation of your request has already been implemented.

Additionally, I'd recommend comment and/or up-voting the following requests:

-Driving Mode

-Lost Bluetooth Connection Alert (Lost Phone Alert)

Trentmorris
First Steps

I have a charge 2 I drive semi transport truck my Fitbit is constantly picking up extra steps every time I drive, I'm driving upwards of 12 to 15 hours a day. It's not unusual to see up to 5000 additional steps while driving. Could you add a feature where the app recognizes I am moving beyond the typical speed of running or another exercise and track that time as driving to negate any additional inaccurate steps? I also use a third-party app where I get step challenges and receive rewards that app gets step information from Fitbit app in real time and I cannot edit the amount it receives. So  editing the log and adding driving time manually is very annoying and does not help me with my challenges which are always inflated. 1 other things that I am confused and unhappy about, is I switched from an iPhone to a Google pixel 3 and the difference between the IOS app and the Android app are plenty  I used to be able to add future driving time on the IOS app but I am unable to do that in the Android app, could you also add that feature?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.