Add Rowing to Exercise app on all Fitbit devices

Indoor Rowing Machine requests are all over the forum & yet, only certain devices have it. If it's available for SOME, it should be available on ALL. The Charge 5 is a newer model & is still lacking this option. The math is already done, so PLEASE share it with all devices.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
31 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LadySkye, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having Rowing Machine available in the Exercise app on all Fitbit devices with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

IntrinsicNancy
First Steps

I agree with @LadySkye   Rowing is a regular form of exercise for me and I really think Fitbit Charge5 should allow for tracking of it. I am part of the Hydrow community and would love to be able to post positive comments about my new Charge5 but can’t with this omission. 

eneli
Jogger

I use a rowing machine 4-5 times a week and have a Versa lite. I want to record an accurate workout, but am choosing "spinning" now. Please add to the Versa Lite.

Thank you!

t.parker
Veteran Runner

@eneli select Workout and rename it later. The rowing on Sense 2 and Versa 4 are just an icon and a label so it's not real support (no counting stroke rate, strokes etc.). So the only thing you missing out on is a rowing icon in your log.

Sinceriousleigh
First Steps
Rowing was added to two other Fitbit devices and I'd love for it to be added to the Inspire 2
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Sinceriousleigh, thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding rowing as an exercise option to the Inspire series with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

GoldenBrown
Jogger

Such a glaring omission. I'm surprised this isn't a feature yet. 

lantieau
First Steps

I have a new Pixel Watch, and see Rowing machine as an exercise, but strangely not actual Rowing.  I would really like to see Rowing as an activity on the Pixel Watch.   At the least, distance and pace could be recorded, stroke rate could easily be tracked too.

runner441
First Steps
Add features such as total distance rowed using GPS; strokes per minute and heart rate intensity zones on the map.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @runner441, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding Rowing to the Exercise app on the Charge 5. I noticed this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

jnolt
Jogger

Rowing is one of the most complete exercises for our bodies.  I would appreciate this option on my latest Fitbit, Charge 5.

gainer
Stepping Up

Everytime the Charge changed models, I have been right there with you. Like everyone else, I too row everyday and it would be great if Fitbit would add rowing to the exercise shortcuts. It would allow us see the impact rowing has on our day. What about it Fitbit make it happen! We are patiently waiting!

CharlieD2
First Steps
Add the rowing workout to the exercise list on the charge 5
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CharlieD2, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding 'Rowing' workout to the exercise list on the Charge 5. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

triad
Recovery Runner

I support all views concerning the addition of Rowing added to recognized activities. I row 6 days a week and it is disarming to add data manually. Rowing is a highly utilized activity at my gym which has 6 rowing machines in use.

Please add this to Charge 5 devices retroactive to initial device offering.

DavidCBirch
First Steps

This thread started 11 April 2022.  I cannot believe that such an obvious u/g has not been ported to the Charge 5.  I started using a rowing machine on 1st March - it seems that I will have to bin my Charge 5 / Fitbit Premium subscription and return to Samsung - what a waste of money! 

Xright
First Steps

Both indoor and outdoor rowing would be helpful to return to Fitbit. In the meanwhile I bought a Garmin to fulfill the gap. 

smolinari
First Steps
Hi,

Could you add rowing to the exercise shortcuts please? CrossFit training includes rowing. Thanks..
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @smolinari, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about adding rowing to the Exercise app of all Fitbit devices with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

LadySkyeK
First Steps

@LizzyFitbit- How much is enough? I've been told that with enough votes, this issue would get attention. 40 votes & 7 months later, zero action. This topic is all over the message boards & no action has been done to rectify this. 

I just sold my fitbit5 for a Garmin forerunner 955 due to this singular issue & I've been a fitbit user since your original version.  I'm incredibly disappointed & do not plan on returning to the fitbit platform.

triad
Recovery Runner
I agree… disappointing there’s NO rowing plus STAIR CLIMB eliminated on
Charge 5..
DrDodge
First Steps

I just started with my Fitbit days ago and I have to admit I'm amazed rowing isn't on there! It's such a common piece of exercise equipment both in the gym and at home.

jnolt
Jogger
Totally agree and have a question. I had a Charge 5 until recently and
rowing DID NOT work (indoor rowing machine). A suggestion came along to
use "Workout" and that seemed to mimic the exercise pretty well. Recently
I changed to a Versa 4. Again rowing does not work. So I tried "workout"
and that does not work. (Meaning at a high level of work, the heart rate
simply drops off - quickly.) Any suggestions for rowing using a Versa 4
please? jnolt
triad
Recovery Runner
Looks like charge 6 lacks rowing exercise.

Using workout activity on charge 5, sorta tracks calories burned plus heart rate, etc.
How reliable that data is ???

Get Outlook for iOS<>
jnolt
Jogger
And allow me to be even clearer. I am mostly interested in tracking my
heart rate. "Doesn't work" here means the heart rate reading increases at
first as expected but suddenly - and very often when I know my heart rate
is well into my cardio or peak range - the heart rate reading simply drops
out to a level that is not possible. Within seconds the heart rate readout
will drop 30, 40, 50 beats. Pretty clear the device is not working when
this happens. Ideas? Comments? jnolt
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.