Add Skiing/skating to Activities

Why is there no skiing activity to the activity list on device??? With GPS its a great platform to track runs. Please add soon.

643 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This could be a great addition to the exercise options on the Surge. It's good to see the support this request has. Thank you for sharing it!

SisuKim
Jogger
Cross country skiing is a fabulous workout and I would love the surge to track it!
Ninocan
Jogger
Please add down hill skiing and cross country to the available activities!!!! Is this even under development?
Xtaski
Stepping Up

The Garmin Fenix 3 does this (heck the 2 did it I think) and it has no more sensors than the Surge... This shouldn't be all that hard...?

durvig
Jogger

Adding Cross Country Skiing (Nordic Skiing) would be a huge addition.  It may make sense to differentiate Classical from Skate forms.  I currently record my Skate skiing sessions as "Hiking" and import the results into Strava and modify the activity.  This way I do get "steps", but more imporantly I have the GPS record, speed, HR, and Calories.  Having dedicated activities within the Surge would be far more functional.

Skihans
First Steps
Vote for adding skiing too (downhill and cross country)
Xtaski
Stepping Up

FYI, I really hope Fitbit adds skiing... I couldn't help but notice the Vivoactive HR Garmin just announced adds this activity... That won't come out until April, but I would think the Surge has every sensor / etc it needs to add it now with a software update...

GeTrn
Jogger

Really needed, thanks!

samshrimpton
First Steps

I would like to see a downhill skiing and a cross country skiing app added to the fitbit surge for tracking purposes.  Thank you

swolczko09
Jogger
I would love to see downhill and cross country skiing added as well please!
DutchRaider
Recovery Runner

As Snowboarding Instructor I can say that most health professionals say that Snowboarding is an identical activity to Skiing, and carries the same caloric value.

You should investigate that further , because I can attest that when Skiing most people wear double layers of clothing, while in snowboarding that would be way to hot.

As instructior I wear only 1 tee under my coat , with no undershirt, while if I would be skiing I have to wear a Hoodie , a sweater or something else.

My guess is that you can not use Skiing for Snowboarding, the activity does not carry the same values for the actual exercise.  

How accurate the Exercise mode is then also to be seen.

I use a Surge, and will be testing this out with some data, and if valuable update this forum.

AwakeNDreaming
First Steps

I agree snowboarding is not the same as skiing. We have 2 skiers and 2 snowboarders and we snowboarders definitely expel a lot more energy than our skiers. Mainly because we don't just race to get to the bottom. We take advantage of the whole surface with tricks jumps etc.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Fitch80
First Steps

Please add cross country skiing to Fitbit Blaze

moejensen
Jogger

I would like to vote for an option to track skiing based on GPS and HR (no step cound needed)

Xtaski
Stepping Up

I'll be honest, I've been using the Surge for months and without this option, I'm going to buy the Vivofit HR that Garmin announced. Looks like it's not shipping on Amazon yet, but this is a real need. For some reason I just assumed the Surge tracked this... unfortunately not.

philiw
Jogger
Please can you add downhill skiing to the exercises on Surge
Debsy72
First Steps

Yes, please add downhill skiing to HR Charge!

oleda
Jogger

I have benn waiting for Cross Contry skiing for a long time now. It`s embarrassing that Fitbit havent created this exercise yet. If nothing happends soon, i will give up my my Surge and buy a Polar watch instead.........

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

FitBit.  Lets get with the program. We need SmartTrack for  :

Cross Country / Back Country / Rodanee Skiing, and

Downhill Skiing.

Ycms
First Steps
Any chance we could have a "ski runs" mode / with accumulated vertical (or runs) and perhaps an altimeter display mode on the watch face while mode is active?
KenH1114
Jogger

I also vote for cross country skiing !

thanks.

sknight
Recovery Runner

I saw an app called bit ticker that brings in messages from, FB and other apps. You have to Google it

Moderator edit: all-caps

BFMat17
Recovery Runner

Thanks to previous posters in this thread for noting the Ski Tracks app.  I have a Blaze and was requesting an alpine skiing option for the exercise menu.

JDion
Recovery Runner

I agree with everybody. I would REALLY like to see options for "downhill skiing" and "crosscountry skiing" (and maybe "snowshoeing") added to the menu. I would bet there are many more people who ski than engage in martials arts, yet there is a martial arts option. My understanding from reading most of the blogs is that using the generic "workout" option is the best nfor now. Any GPS recording activity not recognizing skiing as such would give out results that would be insane concerning total ascent, speed and distance.

Skiing hard provides a lot of exercise and that is not captured well at the moment. In addition, I would think that, after a full day of skiing, very few folks would want to go on a 5 mile walk or run so they can put in "steps" that would contribute to their daily goal...

beameup
First Steps
Cross country skiing tracking on Charge 2 please!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.