Add Sugar to daily totals

I am tracking my sugar intake (fructose) rather than calories and thought it would be good to be able to see sugar eaten in the "Daily Totals" tile of the food log. I understand you can add sugar to your own foods in the nutrional information but it doesn't show in the daily totals which would be handy as you have to go into each food and add it up manually. 

Moderator edit: Update title for clarity and added labels. 

101 Comments
trainscout
First Steps

FDA issues new regualtions on nutrition labels, including "added sugars". This boosts the real need for Fitbit to add sugars to daily totals!

FDA new nutritional label regulations

Serving sizes will change on many items. Fitbit will need to update many of the current

@juliek1 wrote:

I am tracking my sugar intake (fructose) rather than calories and thought it would be good to be able to see sugar eaten in the "Daily Totals" tile of the food log. I understand you can add sugar to your own foods in the nutrional information but it doesn't show in the daily totals which would be handy as you have to go into each food and add it up manually. 

Moderator edit: Update title for clarity and added labels. 

nutritonal labels.

bakerd
Jogger

I've been tracking my food with CalorieKing because of the lack of information on Fitbit.  Please consider adding sugar totals!  I would actually love a tile just dedicated to sugar as well.

sugarkills
First Steps
I agree. Stopped using Fitbit for food because they don't have sugar. I use myfitnesspal

Donna Gould
donnagould5@yahoo.com
484-343-6984
ladylucked
First Steps

Had a stroke last week and in the hospital the 3 Drs I had tests from agreed glucose was the greatest part of the cause. PLEASE add a glucose counter on the daily totals!!!

JaneMcC
First Steps

Another user asking for Sugar to be added to the daily stats. With the current research coming out, reducing my sugar intake is my top dietary concern at the moment.

mesmi1
First Steps

I AGREE!

meghanwelch
First Steps

Would love to see sugar added to daily stats!

Kevio
Recovery Runner

Yes, sugar content should absolutely be included in the "Logged Foods" and "Daily Totals". This is such a basic part of diet/fitness/good health, it should be a no-brainer.

snkygrl
Recovery Runner

just another minion asking for sugar to be added to nutrient tracking, please!!!!!

MOMommy
Stepping Up

YES!  Add "sugar" as an option to track.  It is more important to know how many grams of sugar one is consumming each day than any other "evil" ingredient.  If we can keep a tally on our sugar intake, we won't have to keep a drastic watch on our fat intake or calorie consumption.  99% of the time the foods that contain sugar are the ones with a high fat content and too many calories. (fruit can be the exception)  We are a nation that tried the "low fat/no fat" diets, and the "low calorie/calorie free" diets....yet we are the heaviest nation in the world!  Sugar is in EVERYTHING...even foods labeled as "healthy", "good for you", or those endorsed by a famous athlete or "celebrity".  Read the labels if you don't believe me.

MOMommy
Stepping Up

ChrisCA,

Yes, I am aware that sugar is a carb, and a carb is a carb to my body.  

HOWEVER, there are different TYPES OF CARBS that react DIFFERENTLY in your body. Sugar is a carb that is going STRAIGHT to fat storage thanks, in part, to the insulin in our body. FIBER, another form of a carb, does NOT pass as quickly through, has a LOWER impact on our insulin, and thus it does NOT react the same in the body as sugar does.

So, yes, I want to COUNT my GRAMS OF SUGAR separately from ALL CARBS!  If you don't want to count them differently, don't use the sugar button!

by @ChrisCA
‎04-29-2014 15:17 - edited ‎04-29-2014 15:20
@MOMommy wrote:
 Also, the fact that it doesn't track SUGAR GRAMS in your DAILY TOTALS alongside calories, fat, fiber, carbs, protein, sodium, and water totals is CRUCIAL!  Sugar intake is JUST AS IMPORTANT as Carb and Fiber Intake !!!

Sugar is carbs and to your body, carbs is carbs.

Doesn'tt matter if it is sugar or other carbs

and fiber intake is important because you can subtract it from the carbs

Star920
First Steps
Please add ability tomtrack sugar in food logs.
GettingSlim
First Steps

Yes, please ADD Sugar to daily totals! Until then I'll continue to log my food on MyfitnessPal.

katstuck
Recovery Runner

is this still not a feature? i just paid for premium thinking it would get me that. grrrrrr.... obnoxious and not even particularly health minded.

aucozzo86
Jogger

Please add sugar tracking! This is one of the largest contributors to our obesity even when consuming natural sugars in fruit, honey, etc. It's already tracked in the food library so why not track it? Help us fight obesity with tracking sugar!

FaeryBee
First Steps

I agree completely.

Being pre-diabetic is what prompted me to acquire and use the FitBit to begin with.

I'm quite disappointed that Sugar isn't one of the categories shown in the totals on the Dashboard from the foods logged for the day.

It seems like such an easy fix that would benefit numerous users of this product.

FaeryBee
First Steps

The reason I purchased the FitBit was to track my activity as I've been working  with both diet and exercise to lower my A1C from the "Pre-diabetic" range back to "normal".

Given that Carbs, Protein, Fat, etc are totalled on the Fitbit Desktop application, it seems to me that Sugar would be an easy addition.

Please add this very important component!

monsterTamer
Stepping Up

definitely need sugar added to the food log!!! it's crazy that it's not already there!!!

Rbottens
First Steps
I've given up on Fitbit to add sugar. But My Fitness Pal does a very nice
job and is incredibly detailed. It also links with your Fitbit with a few
changes in the settings. So I'm using both but find I use my fitness pal
more.
QBNQT
First Steps

Adding sugar to the dashboard would be beneficial to users as many people are tracking it to maintain their blood levels consistent.

RDustinB
Jogger

There are many studies that show sugar is the number one cause of obesity, not fat. This would be great to have this total on the dashboard and in the app!

tj.fearnow
First Steps

Please add Sugar to the daily totals in the food log.

LINDAFIT53
First Steps

COUNT ME IN! IMPORTANT to be able to count your sugar intake!!

liz-C128
Jogger

As much as I love my Fitbit for helping me be more active and healthy (and alerting me to my Hypertension), I was that disappointed to find sugar is not automatically tracked!!... The ONLY thing the Cardiologist recommended on my initial visit was to reduce sugar intake to 25 grams or less... the ball has really been dropped here... this needs to be addressed immediately

Vlasakova
First Steps
I agree — these comments about customers wanting sugar tracking on Fitbit have been going on for years, I don’t know that anyone at Fitbit is listening?
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.