Add a "Find my phone" app in the Fitbit App Gallery

We all misplace our phones from time to time. Since there is Bluetooth connection, it should be simple to reverse the notification and ring your phone. So long as the phone is within Bluetooth range, this should be a feature on the new Versa/Ionic. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

583 Comments
klbernier
Jogger
Have an app on your watch that causes your phone to make a sound so you can find it. You can even make it override if your phone is on silent or vibrate. Other competitors have this feature and it would be very simple to implement.
mrc1984
Base Runner
agreedSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
andiellen7
Recovery Runner

They actually have this being beta tested right now!  I missed out as the notification went to my spam mail 😞

Now I just hope that they don't try to make it a "premium" feature when it's finally released!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @klbernier. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about having a "Find my phone" app available in the Fitbit Gallery app with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized. Keep adding your suggestions!

Kandeesue
First Steps
It is usually a standard option on other watches, so hopefully if they want
consumers to keep purchasing it, they will make it standard.
Kandeesue
First Steps
Thanks!!
hemanthn
Recovery Runner
Kandeesue
First Steps
Is for Android only! We want a free app by Fitbit! Not a 3rd party app!
andiellen7
Recovery Runner

Tried there app from the link. It does nothing ☹️

hemanthn
Recovery Runner
You need to install the companion Android app and run it on your phone too.
andiellen7
Recovery Runner

I did. It was running in the phone. Gave it all the permissions. Opened on my versa 2. There are no instructions, but I tapped the screen every way I could think of and it did nothing

Kandeesue
First Steps
Think it is just for android phone.
andiellen7
Recovery Runner

I'm on an Android

thompsondc
Recovery Runner

The problem is that there is no Fitbit-created app or function.  This is what everyone wants.  Not some 3rd party thing, which can have questionable privacy/stability issues.  Even if a 3rd party app works well and doesn't have privacy issues, because it is 3rd party; there is an inherent risk in perpetuity that the creator will modify it to create these problems.  Nothing short of a fitbit-created app or function will suffice.  Every other major manufacturer has implemented this natively except fitbit.

mrc1984
Base Runner
Yah it did, it made your cc $ 0.99 lighter
--
Sent from myMail for Android
Kandeesue
First Steps
Exactly, my inherent issue. Not sure they care if we next buy a Samsung or
not, lol. I thought I got an email saying the developers were almost ready
to release a version that did the “Find my IPhone” (or Android), hope it is
not only for Android, but also an IPhone, which I have! Could have been
from a third party app which we do not want!

We will see. I have received a quite a few email notifications, so let’s
see what happens!
hemanthn
Recovery Runner

I understand that for some they don't like apps from 3rd party devs and its completely understandable.

I just did this app because it was a huge pain point for just myself when using my phone with this watch. and since it worked well i decided to let others know so that they can use it. and honestly some of them have even emailed me personally thanking me for helping out with this app and making it free.

Also the way the fitbit native android app works, (the one you sync and watch your fitbit data), some times it needs a hard restart before 3rd party apps start to work and i have added those trouble shooting steps and a help video in my android companion app now.

andiellen7
Recovery Runner

I am glad it works so well for some. I tried several things and it never would work. So I'm not going to pay for something that is not simple to implement.

Fitbit is the only device I've seen that doesn't have this feature. I will continue to request this as a basic feature as it should be.

hemanthn
Recovery Runner

Hi @andiellen7 

I think this is where everyone is getting it wrong. Mine is not a paid app. It's a free app.

The issue is everyone tries to download a different watch app and a different Android app and try it and think it's not working.

Here are the actual links for my app

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/5c47cfd1-05b0-4291-92dc-7a7fb17ac89e

And

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=seshu.com.fitbitremote&hl=en_US

andiellen7
Recovery Runner

My apologies! I just installed yours and it's working great! 👍😁

(Perhaps find a way to name yours something slightly different? That was my confusion. )

hemanthn
Recovery Runner
Thank you. Glad it worked out for you 👍
hemanthn
Recovery Runner
bogdanims
Recovery Runner

Hello,

There is a single app in gallery that works both on Android and iOS platforms: https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/25f6c80d-60ae-4d80-8a54-d3e5775e4ae1

It uses the Fitbit technology at its best, but even so it is not 100% reliable all the time (as you know, sometimes it happens that even the connection between the smartwatch and the official Fitbit app is lost).

The tricky part is that the app has some bad reviews because usually some of the users don't read the description of the app where actually there are specific URLs of the Android and iPhone configuration tutorials, so they miss the experience of having a properly installed application.

Tna_c
Jogger

Was excited to see "Find my phone" option on my versa watch, however it's for Android only....Please allow it for iphones as well.

shazben79
First Steps

Hi i am using fitbit 3 charge and also would love to see a function or app that locates phone i have mislaid. Seen this function on my mums huawei pro 4  band watch  and paired with her huawei p30 pro phone allows her to locate phone if she forgets where she left phone down somewhere. I think it is a brilliant practical function.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.