Add chores and other housework activities to Exercise app

Every time I do chores, it gets captured as bicycling or something. I do chores every day as I’m sure a lot of people do.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

45 Comments
Buckmoss
First Steps

I work at a Habitat Build once a week.   This is generally for 6 to 8 hours and I would like to find a way to add that item to my schedule.  This can be heavy to light construction, landscaping, etc.  I'd also appreciate you adding home activities like mowing the yard, chopping/splitting wood etc.    Pete

CrazyCrowell
Recovery Runner

I agree, I think there should be a much more expensive list for activities, there's so much that people do every day that is active 

Hoder
Recovery Runner

It might be easier to give everyone what they wanted by allowing renaming of the existing exercises or add a couple custom slots to name whatever you want.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

philcass
First Steps

hhelp.  i'am doing walk all over cancer on my fitbit and want to link them both

@BGTimwrote:

Every time I do chores, it gets captured as bicycling or something. I do chores every day as I’m sure a lot of people do. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Buckmoss
First Steps
What about a general construction activity like volunteer work at Habitat for Humanity?

Sent from my iPhone
KarolD
Recovery Runner

I agree. I spent an hour shoveling 2.5 feet of snow from 80+ feet of sidewalk and it wasn't exercise. Though happily it gave some steps and active minutes so it wasn't a total 'loss'.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
Mrs.Santa637
Jogger

I was wondering why the exercise options are so limited now. There’s more ways to get exercise than just in a gym or running. There use to be options like cleaning, vacuuming and stuff like that. 

It it would be nice to have those options available again so that I can log my exercise also. I don’t go to the gym because I’m a disabled but I do clean up and also try my best to do activities with my son. Sometimes I go into fat burn or higher while I’m cleaning but there’s no option to log it as exercise. 

If these options could could be available  again it would be great! 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Probably because each exercise needs to be programmed individually

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mrs.Santa637, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Cavachonpip
Recovery Runner

I recently read an article on a long running study that showed women should do one hour of activity a day to increase their odds of reaching age 90.  Doing this greatly increased the odds of living that long. Things that counted as activity included gardening and housework as well as walking and more vigorous exercise such as running and team sports. My suggestion is that these two activities are listed so they can be counted towards your daily activity target, which could have a guide default of one hour a day. There is more to keeping fit than 'excercise'  and this might make targets more encouaging, especially to the majority of us that dont do a more formal or organised form of excercise.

xencoder
First Steps

I live in the Midwest and it has been a really rough few weeks, I've shoveled for at least 10 hours but can not find anyway to get credit for the work on the fitbit app.  There are a lot of ways to burn calories that are not listed.

tigger25
Recovery Runner
I would put it as workout
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Cavachonpip and @xencoder! Thank you for sharing your suggestion with the Community. This very similar feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

KHenderson
First Steps

When I mow the yard, the fitbit ionic autodetects and logs water skiing.  When I clean the house, it logs "sports".  Adding household chores to the preselected work out categories would make it more reliable.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KHenderson, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

Larryrutter
First Steps

Fitbit recognizes heart rate change but doesn’t recognize non walking activity nor count calories used. Gardening, moving furniture, climbing ladders, snow shoveling, hiking with a back pack (calorie count is higher depending on weight carried) etc.

suggest that if heart rate has a noticeable change Fitbit send notification to allow user to  self record if not obviously walking. Might be valuable for medical situations too where user doesn’t realize their heart rate has spiked. 

Status changed to: Needs More Info
GraceGFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Larryrutter, many thanks for share this idea. Just to make sure that we understand can you please clarify if you're asking for calories recognition during non walking activities or an alarm based on heart rate changes?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Larryrutter
First Steps

Hi Grace,

im more interested in tracking non-walking activity. Fitbit recognizes that heart rate is up but doesn’t apply calories used along with it. 

Suggesting that you notify user user that rate us up and allow user to enter what they were doing and apply relevant calorie count to it.

I would like to see an exercise choice "Cutting Grass" when one is walking.   It takes 11,000 steps to cut my yard....but the hands are on the lawn mower, often pushing and pulling which is a calorie burner in an of itself.    I noticed that FITBIT picked up that exercise as "Bike Riding"....I assume because the legs are moving and the hands are not....but this is no way reflects what I am really doing.....so the Calories calculated are meaningless .....

This is a weekly and often more frequently more than weekly activity for me from late April until October and I would like to see an app addressing this kinds of activity.

Before I wrote this...I did a search for "Cutting Grass" and got zero results....I have to believe someone else had to address this before now.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NightSkyImager, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Catwell
Jogger

How about having gardening as an activity. I work on my allotment for about 5hours 2-3 times per week and my Fitbit Blaze say I've never moved. Digging is very strenuous and all aspects of gardening is very beneficial for one's well-being and health. 

Catwell
Jogger

Adding Housework to the list of exercise is important. It is a good all rounder of exercise, cleaning windows, changing and making beds, vacuuming, and the list goes on. There are plenty of people that can't or will not go out but still do housework and clean and DIY while being housebound. It's about time everyone was recognised and included. It's not all about marathon runners and cyclist. Please include all types of exercise and help people. ❤️ 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Catwell, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.